Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Petticoats and Crinolines.

Kishtu

Practically Family
She might have got the date wrong KittyT. Or, this was Bolton, Lancashire, which is not known for its style leadership...

It's always been held up as a cautionary tale in our family!

MissHannah

One Too Many
I just won this on ebay:

825d_1.jpg

It sounds like the elastic may need replacing but I think even I can manage that :) It has layers of soft fluffy nylon rather than stiff net, which is what I was after. I have a net one but it's so uncomfortable I have to wear at least 2 slips underneath it! Also, it's prone to forming into peculiar peaks and troughs when I stand up after sitting down for a while!

Smuterella

One Too Many
OK, I need some advice. I need a petticoat to go under a 50's frock, the skirt of the dress is 25" so I assume I need a 23" or so petticoat. I want it medium full, not so exaggerated as to stick out as a huge triangle and I want something soft rather than stiff net. Does anyone know where I can get such a thing online?

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
It really is a nice petticoat. The fabric is lightweight, and moves really well under the skirt.

The elastic is in a casing, so if it isn't the right size you could remove it and put in a new elastic easily to have a custom sized waistband. :)

I hope you like it!

strangerous

New in Town
my other dress up hobby is Lolita (some references) so i have a few petticoats to go with my frilly dresses. for everyday wear, i have one that is almost like a straight slip or skirt with heavy crinoline on the bottom. it gives your dress some shape but it's not overly poofy. i also have some others simillar to ones posted here (no vintage, though) and one that is made of chiffon. the chiffon one is so soft and full... i just wear it around the house sometimes for fun!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
This is probably a dumb question but...

Is there a petticoat that isn't too fluffy?

I need one for under the shirtwaist dresses I just ordered but all I keep finding are the voluminous crinolines. I just want a little poof, not a lot. Should I be searching under a different term?

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
23SkidooWithYou said:
This is probably a dumb question but...

Is there a petticoat that isn't too fluffy?

I need one for under the shirtwaist dresses I just ordered but all I keep finding are the voluminous crinolines. I just want a little poof, not a lot. Should I be searching under a different term?

Get one made of chiffon instead of the other stuff. It wouldn't be as puffy. Check this out:
http://www.secretsinlace.com/product/165/Crinolines_and_Pettycoats

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
*martini*time* said:
Get one made of chiffon instead of the other stuff. It wouldn't be as puffy. Check this out:
http://www.secretsinlace.com/product/165/Crinolines_and_Pettycoats

Thank you, thank you!

My goodness, there is so much "stuff" needed just to slip a dress on, lol. No wonder brides left home with a trousseau. Their poor young husbands would have gone to the poor house just keeping their wives in unmentionables! (mental image of Father of the Bride with Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor).

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
23SkidooWithYou said:
Thank you, thank you!

My goodness, there is so much "stuff" needed just to slip a dress on, lol. No wonder brides left home with a trousseau. Their poor young husbands would have gone to the poor house just keeping their wives in unmentionables! (mental image of Father of the Bride with Spencer Tracy and Elizabeth Taylor).

I'm looking at getting a chiffon one. I have the other kind and as much as i love it, sometimes, i do feel a little bit in costume...and it's super scratchy!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Well...I went ahead and ordered a chiffon one from eBay. It's 23" but the person who sold the dresses said she used a 26" in her still shots. I'm hoping the dress won't cave in along the unsupported hemline.

I found a custom made one that appears to be in cotton or something but I can't tell if it's really just a flouncy slip or if it's supported underneath with netting. The seller is away but if I find out it's a real crinoline/petticoat, I'll let everyone know.

shutterbug

New in Town
I scored my first crinoline today at a vintage shop in town. They are extremely hard to find in this part of Canada and, although it wasn't exactly the one I've been dreaming of, it is in good shape and was affordable. The same as this one but with a longer top part....

http://www.memphisvintage.com/malcomodes.html

When I got it home, however, I realized it is 2-3" too long for the dresses I own (I'm 5'6 and am mostly legs too, so that doesn't help). It is made of that stiffer, nylon net. I am wondering if it is possible to shorten this kind of crinoline?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
I am not the handiest gal here, but I would think the easiest way is to tack it at the waist to shorten it rather than mess with all the layers at the hemline.

BTW My Mom said they used to use sugar water on their crinies and let them dry to make them even stiffer. Must have been dangerous during bee season!

shutterbug

New in Town
23SkidooWithYou said:
I am not the handiest gal here, but I would think the easiest way is to tack it at the waist to shorten it rather than mess with all the layers at the hemline.

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. I'd hate to ruin the bottom of it...
Thanks!

Goldfish

A-List Customer
cherry lips said:
I'm really confused about petticoat length! I have one that is 26" long. It looks like this:
8928_1.JPG

I actually like that one a lot, how fluffy is it?

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
Does anyone here wear crinolines for daily wear? I have a couple 50's outfits that beg for a crinoline, but I don't know if I can pull it off without looking too costumey. In my mind, my 40's outfits just look kind of "classic" without looking too out-of-place. My slim-line 50's outfits look fab without costumey. Just kinda curious if other ladies can sport the crinoline.

I wore the dress in my avatar to my local mall one day (I was very excited about my new crinoline and I wanted to show my friend). I got a few looks, but nothing incredibly insulting, and I felt very beautiful and self-confident in it. I also wore it to school for my Senior Project. I got looks again, but nothing too bad, and I even got a few compliments on my dress. :) I didn't feel costumey at all, though!

Edited to add: I'm not sure that my crinoline is too puffy? How puffy is too puffy? I'll take a picture to show you all tomorrow.

Hey_Laaaaaady!

Familiar Face
Wearing petticoats?

I know it's a bit past the dates of this forum, but do any of you venture into 1950s and wear petticoats? I have a very nice floofy petti that I want to wear with a circle skirt badly, but I'm a little afraid to wear it out...I'm afraid it'll look too outrageous or something. So my question is, do any of you ladies wear pettis and if so, where do you get the courage? :p Do you find that they look rather outlandish? (If nobody can answer these, do you know of a 1950s forum? lol)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner