Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Petticoats and Crinolines.

HepKitty

One Too Many
I like them actually, and even wear one with a 40s dress. Besides, if you're already in a 50s outfit, which most people you'll see on the street will find outrageous anyway, why not do a proper job of it? :D I say go for it!

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
I have one dress right now that has a built in crinoline. It is a 50s style dress and there are 3 layers of tulle. It isn't the crazy puffy square dance type of crinoline where all the volume is at the bottom, this one is like 3 skirts, each of one layer of tulle. Like this photo, but with 3 layers instead of 1.

myredcrinoline.jpg

As opposed to this sort, with all that volume at the bottom.

PSSTylePetticoatOgandy60ydBlack2ndv.jpg

I love wearing it and showing it off (the dress is black, but the tulle is pink, too fun). I am making another 50s dress right now that will need some crinoline, so I need to go shopping for a separate one to wear with it. I think if you are worried about it being too over the top, you can start out with something with less volume (less layers) and the tulle skirt style is a little less in your face than the square dance types IMO.

I really think they are fun, but I am also not self-conscious about wearing things that others might consider extreme or silly. Also, if you really want that true 50s tiny waist, full skirt look, you need something under the skirt.

Drappa

One Too Many
I have 5 crinolines, 4 of them very puffy like the black above and wear them all the time and on all kinds of occasions, ie shopping, to dinner, to the cinema and to walk the dog even.
I get looks sometimes, but not really nasty staring, and have quite often gotten compliments on it. I have a corduroy circle skirt to wear with it that isn't too outlandish, and just made a tweed one in muted colours. As long as it goes with the rest of your look it should be good. If you only wear a crinoline with a non-vintage outfit it may look a bit like a prom dress, but if the whole look is 50's you can get away with it.

Hey_Laaaaaady!

Familiar Face
Thank you ladies! You have me persuaded. :) I really really want to wear one--I love the 50s look-- wasp waist and poofy skirt. I'll have to look into a nylon petti, the one I currently have is rather tulle-ish and quite full & scratchy. I really want to make some corduroy and wool circle skirts--it sounds so cozy in the winter! And then some mix-n-match separates for the summer. Yes, I am good to go. XD

Drappa

One Too Many
My favourite Ebay seller for petticoats (in the UK) is http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Rock-n-Roll-years?_rdc=1

I have a few from there and love them, and she ships really fast.

I also wear them under quilted skirts I have (and am making one at the moment), and don't feel costumey at all, but then I wear them so often I might have a higher threshold :D

Last edited:

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I once bought an elaborate gothic victorian gown from ebay for halloween, and it came with a long crinoline. It's not the best quality I'm sure but it has served me well while wearing that type of clothing, while on the other hand the dress itself was only worn once. About a month ago I just pinned the bottom up to the waist band through the inside to shorten it, and this produced the perfect crinoline for my swing dresses. Great length, and not too poofy. I got loads of compliments that night though I looked extremely out of place. I McGuyver a lot of my clothes lol.

ahasegawa

New in Town
Under my vintage dresses I always wear petticoats because I feel like its not the 50's look without it.

I also wear a fashion called Gothic Lolita and a petticoat is a must in this fashion as it is based off the french rococo period :)

beth

Familiar Face
Hey ladies! I would like your advice.
I want to purchase my first crinoline. I don't want to spend a lot of money on one, yet, as I'm not sure how often I'd wear it, or with what. Also, I want to start with one a bit floofy, but not crazy volume, to get used to and build confidence. I've been looking on ebay, is there anything I should look for? For example, I saw a couple that seemed to be made out of mostly cotton, do those do anything?

Last edited:

Miss sofia

One Too Many
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap - that made my evening Lincsong!

I have two, one really poufy net one, and a slightly less frou-frou shocking pink number which is great for dancing in and adds a bit of interest to a navy blue dress i have. It looks great when i'm twirling. I don't ever feel OTT if i wear them with skirts or daydresses either, as i do have some fifties dresses with paper and net underskirts attached to them, so i figured most full skirts/dresses were meant to have been worn with some kind of full petticoat underneath to show off the dress to it's full advantage.

I picked both up in second hand stores pretty cheap, but i have seen them on ebay and the like for varying prices.

Actually i did check with my Mum about the petticoat showing thing and she said no self-respecting girl would have let her petticoat or slip show below her frock, no matter how pretty it was, (dancing was another thing entirely, fair game if you were being whirled about skirts flying). Interesting thread this!

Drappa

One Too Many
Hey ladies! I would like your advice.
I want to purchase my first crinoline. I don't want to spend a lot of money on one, yet, as I'm not sure how often I'd wear it, or with what. Also, I want to start with one a bit floofy, but not crazy volume, to get used to and build confidence. I've been looking on ebay, is there anything I should look for? For example, I saw a couple that seemed to be made out of mostly cotton, do those do anything?

I think it depends on what you'd wear them with, because cotton can get really static worn with some fibres or stockings. I have some petticoats that I got very cheaply on Ebay that are not very puffy at all, just give a little lift and have lace on them. Often they are not even listed as petticoats, but as slips, so with a little patience and perseverence you can get one cheaply.

Like these for example:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/67047760/vintage-50s-vanity-fair-pink-half-slip?ref=sr_gallery_22&ga_search_query=nylon%2Bpetticoat&ga_search_type=all
il_570xN.212849994.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/listing/66593976/vintage-50s-60s-petticoat-slip?ref=sr_gallery_7&ga_search_query=nylon%2Bpetticoat&ga_search_type=all&ga_page=2
il_570xN.210976587.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/listing/40896708/vintage-pretty-in-pink-petticoat-with?ref=sr_gallery_4&ga_search_query=nylon%2Bpetticoat&ga_search_type=all&ga_page=3
il_570xN.124078591.jpg

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Familiar Face
I'd really love a 50s style net petticoat, I have a wedding to go to next month so I'm debating buying one for that.

Aside from that, like Drappa mentions above, I wear silk/satin slips or old style underskirts under my dresses or skirts. It stops the fabric of my dress clinging to my stockings and riding up to indecent levels and I just think it gives me a neater line. :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Yep i always wear a slip or an underskirt for that reason too. It does give a neater line and my good old mum said you can make an indifferent skirt look much better with a slip under it which is something i have always remembered.

Beth- those ones Drappa just posted are ace, just the thing perhaps to try if you're not to sure about how poufy you want to go initially. I might have to have a trawl about now, a girl can't have too many petticoats!

beth

Familiar Face
Thank you ladies!
It makes me so much more confident and brave to make a purchase when I have input and opinions.
I'll continue searching! :D
That pink petticoat you posted, Drappa is so cute! :)

Last edited:

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I am so torn on wether to keep or sell my crinolines. i have 3 that i bought all at the same time for a multibuy discount- in black, white and red. I love the shape and swish of them but as I've said before I'm only 5foot tall and the shape does overwhelm me. My Mum said that in the her youth inthe 50's she wore them for a time but never looked right as she is my height too- and just picturing my little mum in such huge skirts doesn't look right. This is why she loves the 20's silhoutte (which i do too but in very flowing heavy fabric so it hints at my curvy waist and doesn't by-pass it entirely)

What do people think? Any advice- or should i just accept it and sell them on?

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I want one as I love the super full skirts plus it makes the waist look teeny tiny!

Not sure if I should buy one as I am short (5'2) and also I think it might attract a lot of attention so I might never wear it! I do like the idea of a swishy petticoat though.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I bought some slips the other day into Macy's (a department store) and the woman behind the counter said she hadn't sold a slip in almost 20 years. :( She was suprised anyone wore them anymore.

I've been stockpiling the things whenever I find them, in different sizes and colors. I'm thinking of making myself a crinoline patterned after my favorite slip, with a few adjustments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner