Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photographs Of Hats Fresh From Surviving The Elements

MCrider

A-List Customer
Last month snow and now torrential downpours. It's shaping up to be one good year for wide brimmed hats! Here's my Cabela's Stetson Three Forks after getting the car in the garage and back into the house

S5031321.jpg

Another wide brimmed hat that saved my glasses from water spots

MattJH

One Too Many
My favorite thing about this thread is the photographic evidence proving that you really don't have to baby your hats. I'm glad for all of the contributions! I just caught up today. There are some phenomenal shots in here. I can't wait for more! I need to contribute again soon. I had some great, lost shots during this historical Philadelphia snowfall winter, but failed to capture them for everybody. Next time. My grey and brown Akubra Federation IVs were my daily wearers this winter. They absolutely won vs. the snow by KO, every single time.

deenis

Familiar Face
J.T.Marcus said:
Glad to hear you've had a good experience, too. I have been using one Stetson "Temple" as my rain hat, for going on a year. Not only has it NOT self-destructed, I can still wear it as a dress hat. :)

That is awesome! With such high marks for water durability, sounds like the Stetson Temple is an awesome hat. I will probably buy a Stetson Temple in the future, but for now I use the Borsalino Crushers/Water Repellants in the rain. I posted these on another thread:

Here are a few more pictures of the Borsalino Crushable/water repellant. Picture was taken with a cell phone while exploring Montreal. A wet snow that turned into rain.
MontrealMarch2010a.jpg

MontrealMarch2010a1.jpg

MontrealMarch2010a11.jpg

borsalino-logo.jpg

MCrider

A-List Customer
MattJH said:
My favorite thing about this thread is the photographic evidence proving that you really don't have to baby your hats.

I agree wholeheartedly Matt! My favorite thing is to be walking outside in the rain while people are scurrying about with umbrella's or papers over their heads and I'm walking along casually (usually with a wider brimmed hat) looking at them like: "Is there a problem?"
lol

Stan

A-List Customer
Once again, it gets wet.

Hi,

This is my #1 hat. As in the one I spend more time wearing than any other one, not as in my best hat. This is my around-the-farm hat and the one I'm wearing in my avatar where I'm sitting on the equally vintage bulldozer just before I scraped the horse barn out. ;)

It's an older Stetson 4x Open Road. When I got it, it sported a few moth bites but they didn't bother me. I wanted it for the use I put it to. It's a tough hat, as this sort of thing happens to it quite often. It's job is to keep the weather, rain or shine, off my head and it does it's job well. It wouldn't pay to take a photo of it after it had been drenched in sunshine, but yesterday it was not sunshine coming down.

I had sold a piece of vintage farm equipment, and the guy came to pick it up yesterday. Of course, the forecast called for showers, but that's not what I'd call what came down as soon as we started loading that trailer!

The hat got a tad damp in that 10 minutes:

4xORWet.jpg

All I have to do is hang it up on it's hook, just like you see it in the photo. It dries in a little while. I give it a brushing after it dries, and it's good to go again. :)

later!

Stan

SteveAS

Practically Family
We had our first rainy weekend of the season here in the Bay Area. I have a Wright's Beaver Blend Open Road clone that appeared to be NOS when I received it. the felt was a little stiff and it was a little small. I figured rain would soften up the felt and I figured if I pulled the hat down low on my head while it was wet, it would stretch out a bit.

Here's a picture of the hat after walking my dog for about half an hour in drizzly rain Saturday:

IMG00009-20101023-1650.jpg

As it happens, the maker seems to have designed this hat for wet weather wear:

IMG00010-20101023-1650.jpg

We went to the horse race track on Sunday, where I was (mostly) outside in nearly constant rain for at least a couple hours. That thoroughly soaked the felt, but my head and the liner remained dry. I'm pleased to report that the rain accomplished both my stretching and softening objectives. :eusa_clap

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi,

This is my #1 hat. As in the one I spend more time wearing than any other one, not as in my best hat. This is my around-the-farm hat and the one I'm wearing in my avatar where I'm sitting on the equally vintage bulldozer just before I scraped the horse barn out. ;)

It's an older Stetson 4x Open Road. When I got it, it sported a few moth bites but they didn't bother me. I wanted it for the use I put it to. It's a tough hat, as this sort of thing happens to it quite often. It's job is to keep the weather, rain or shine, off my head and it does it's job well. It wouldn't pay to take a photo of it after it had been drenched in sunshine, but yesterday it was not sunshine coming down.

I had sold a piece of vintage farm equipment, and the guy came to pick it up yesterday. Of course, the forecast called for showers, but that's not what I'd call what came down as soon as we started loading that trailer!

The hat got a tad damp in that 10 minutes:

All I have to do is hang it up on it's hook, just like you see it in the photo. It dries in a little while. I give it a brushing after it dries, and it's good to go again. :)

later!

Stan

Great! I like to see things put to use. No sense in making every hat a hothouse flower.

Goodman.MJ

New in Town
My fed IV got a good soaking on the way to work this evening. Its dry now, and does not look any the worse for it. Doesn't feel like it has shrunk either. Looks like it is going to get wet on the way home as well. This will be the first time it has got wet since it got it. :)

MCrider

A-List Customer
My fed IV got a good soaking on the way to work this evening. Its dry now, and does not look any the worse for it. Doesn't feel like it has shrunk either. Looks like it is going to get wet on the way home as well. This will be the first time it has got wet since it got it. :)

Well I can see we think alike! My Fed IV got a soaking on the way home from work this evening.

10-26-10a.jpg

The above is right after I wallked in the door. As usual, the Fed was soaked, but the glasses didn't have a spot on them!

10-26-10b.jpg
[/IMG]

Better shot of the soaking the Fed got. Needless to say, I love this hat. It's one of three I wear if it looks like bad weathers coming. By the way, the other two are Akubra's also.
:)

We had our first rainy weekend of the season here in the Bay Area. I have a Wright's Beaver Blend Open Road clone that appeared to be NOS when I received it. the felt was a little stiff and it was a little small. I figured rain would soften up the felt and I figured if I pulled the hat down low on my head while it was wet, it would stretch out a bit.

I'm pleased to report that the rain accomplished both my stretching and softening objectives. :eusa_clap

It performed as all hats should. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap Hats that can't be worn in rain aren't hats at all. ;)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I find it interesting how everyone gives such importance to seeing a wet hat :) I grew up watching my father wear his Stetsons and Resistols in ALL kinds of weather and it was no big deal. You bought a GOOD fur felt hat and WORE it!! I've worn hats for over 30 years now and done the same as him.!! In fact we had a full day of hard rain last Saturday, and I got a flat on my PU and was out in it in my newer Bushman which ended getting soaked thru to the back side of the felt. Finished changing tire, got in the truck and cont. with what I had to do for the day ( soaking clothes and all :) ) and just shook off the excess water and put the hat on the hall rack to dry. Took it off this am and went on about my business !! That's what should be expected for a normal hat no matter WHO makes it :)

I find it interesting how everyone gives such importance to seeing a wet hat :) I grew up watching my father wear his Stetsons and Resistols in ALL kinds of weather and it was no big deal. You bought a GOOD fur felt hat and WORE it!! I've worn hats for over 30 years now and done the same as him.!! In fact we had a full day of hard rain last Saturday, and I got a flat on my PU and was out in it in my newer Bushman which ended getting soaked thru to the back side of the felt. Finished changing tire, got in the truck and cont. with what I had to do for the day ( soaking clothes and all :) ) and just shook off the excess water and put the hat on the hall rack to dry. Took it off this am and went on about my business !! That's what should be expected for a normal hat no matter WHO makes it :)

Exactly my point! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
Hat ads in the old days specifically touted their water proof abilities with such names as Cravanetted, Aqua shed, Mirakal and a dozen other names for a hat being water proof. A good hat is a hat not a colander. ;)

MCrider

A-List Customer

I think you may be missing the point of this thread. There's been so many posts from people asking if their hat (doesn't matter which one) will survive getting wet. I remember reading posts from people wondering whether or not they should have an umbrella just in case it rains. So pictures like mine just reinforce what you said. Yes a hat can survive a storm... Well that and I just like seeing wet hats.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner