Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictured: the Stuart

JanSolo

Practically Family
That's indeed a very good looking jacket and a great photo as well!

BasqueCountry.jpg

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Thanks, Jan. Remarks/things I might have altered in hindsight: the sleeves - although I think the buttons look exceedingly cool - can be a bit of a hassle to wrestle with; I've started leaving them unbottoned. I have difficulty getting my hand into the press-stud inner pocket; probably a zipper pocket let into the facing would have been better. I might even have kept the button-up breast pocket, because I think it would have enhanced the period look.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Yes, Aero still make it, although for some reason they don't picture it on their website (which REALLY needs updating). It's hidden away on the American one; I almost didn't see it. I think I remember Sam Walker, in London, stocking this make years ago. I doubt Aero had had an order for one for a while when I ordered mine. I agree, I like the Cossak, but I prefer the simplicity of this one – and the buttons.

Something that bothered me: do people hink the length is right? I find Aero's cropped jackets too short for me.

Sir J

JanSolo

Practically Family
The body length on your jacket is perfect. I also had an inch added to the body lenght of my hip/waist length Aero jackets (M422a, A2, Cafe Racer, 1930s Halfbelt). Especially if you prefer to wear low rise jeans or baggy cargo pants (I do) an inch added can never be wrong.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I added an inch and a half, and may add more for the next. Jan, do you happen to have a picture of your halfbelt (worn)? That is what I am planning on for my next Aero: black halfbelt with a mouton collar.

Sir J

Sir Jacket said:
I added an inch and a half, and may add more for the next. Jan, do you happen to have a picture of your halfbelt (worn)? That is what I am planning on for my next Aero: black halfbelt with a mouton collar.

Sir J

On this Stuart? You added an inch and a half ?

Is the standard length of the Stuart the same as the Cossack and Halfbelt?

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
It's a beautiful jacket, congrats.

I've got a Stuart on order too, expected mid-May and seeing your photo has made the anticipation even harder to bear.

Just wondering, how tall are you Sir Jacket, if you don't mind me asking?

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I'm just over 6ft. I think the Aeros are cut for standard height, which is about 5'8". Hence, yes, I added one and a half inches and am tempted to add another half inch.

I hope the Stuart's time has come again.

Sir J

tonypaj

Practically Family
Sir Jacket said:

Sir J

What's the back length in inches? I'm also 6 feet, and interested in this info for my pending order. Your jacket is fine, shorter would not interest me.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Beautiful jacket and picture, Sir J. I like the buttons too, although I'd be scared to order a jacket with buttons in the event they become cumbersome to wrestle with or the button(s) pop off or something. :)

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
The jacket back is 26 inches. I would definitely recommend adding length if you are tall. I swapped my last Aero because it was just a little too short.

As for the buttons, I find them charming. It's one of Aero's strengths that the buttons don't come off: you could hang off a cliff edge from one of them.

SJ

tonypaj

Practically Family
Sir Jacket said:
The jacket back is 26 inches. I would definitely recommend adding length if you are tall. I swapped my last Aero because it was just a little too short.

As for the buttons, I find them charming. It's one of Aero's strengths that the buttons don't come off: you could hang off a cliff edge from one of them.

SJ

Thanks. That's what I ordered, but had no idea if that was standard or longer or shorter...

Sir Jacket said:

SJ

That is the question.
Is the length of the jacket "standard" for all sizes, or do they automatically adjust it based on the measurements you send them? (They ask for your height.)
I'm 5'9". I would most likely not want to add an inch to the "standard" length of the Stuart you ordered.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
I don't know the answer to that for sure but I suspect it's that they will send you a certain size -- 38 or whatever -- depending on the measurements you send in. On other hand you could approach it this way: say you want a 38 or whatever but with two inches added to the length. I have to say it's not necessarily that easy sizing from a distance in this way. It seems Aero will send you a jacket to try so that might be worth a try.

Sir J

JanSolo

Practically Family
Sorry, Sir J but currently I don't have any pictures of my halfbelt. But I've added two pics of my custom Cafe Racer with mid brown mouton collar. ....And the jacket even has a fake halfbelt:p
I am also 6ft- 6ft1 and weigh approx. 155 lbs. The jacket is a size 40 with 1 1/2 inches added to the overall length.

3364573069_ee85d40126.jpg

3364566741_70480cbafc.jpg

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
It's a beautiful jacket, JanSolo, although I believe you were trying to sell it. Did you succeed?

The crucial distinction I am trying to make is between the 30s and 50s halfbelt. I've seen the distinction explained in words but I need a good photographic comparison. I want a trim fit but also to avoid the jacket looking too cinched in.

Sir J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff