Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pictures of Broken-In Gibson & Barnes A-2

South

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have pictures of a broken-in Gibson & Barnes A-2, being worn? I would like to see how they look on someone after the jacket has relaxed.

Please tell us the type of leather, too!

Thanks!

rumblefish

One Too Many
This is the only one I have of me wearing mine, a seal horse hide Mark III (w/ collar stand).
I'll try to take a few shots and post- it is two years old now. I've done a lot to break it in; hot water, creased and sat on it, wet & thrown in a dryer, crumpled/kneaded by hand, etc. and it still has a way to go.
DSC00549_edited.jpg

rumblefish

One Too Many
DSC03589.jpg
DSC03587.jpg
DSC03594.jpg
DSC03592.jpg

This is a 42 short. I'm 5' 7" 170#
I've done everything but chew on it to break it in.
A word about sizing- consider one size down from your normal jacket size for a better fit.

South

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the pictures.

Rumblefish - Thanks! That's the kind I was looking for. That jacket looks great.

By the way, if you don't mind me asking, where did you find that snappy hat? I've been wanting something like that, with the fold-down ear warmers.

Thanks for the help.

South

One of the Regulars
Thanks.

Edit: I looked on their site and didn't see it, so they may not have them now. I'll check some other places.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
B-2

Eastman makes a great B-2 also. They have them in seal and redskin ie a roughwear model both are great warm hats. I wear one all winter. He is right about the sizing. G&B A-2s run big.

Edward

Bartender
A little :eek:fftopic: :

I just recently bought one of the Eastman B2s from their 'reissue depot' section. They have a few 'slight seconds' at GBP25, though limited sizes are left. The only thing "wrong" with mine I can spot is that the transfer USAAF decal is a little off (like it broke a bit going on), and the cut of the leather trim around the edge of the brim, on the underside could be a tiny bit neater. Which is me being super-anal, really - nothing that makes me wish I'd paid double to rectify. TBH, now I've seen one in the flesh, so to speak, I'd quite happily pay the full price. The Roughwear version is nice, if somewhat 'Marmite' (being pre-broken in and significantly more expensive... around GBP 75, iirc - the regular version, full price, is GBP50)... not for me, but your mileage may, of course, vary. All the RAF sheepskin versions are GBP 25. Exactly the same hat as the regular B2, just made out of Irvin fleece so a different colour and no USAAF decal are the only differences I can see.

I would suggest either calling Eastman, or maybe just ordering a size up... I opted for a 7 1/8 initially - seemed odd it was listed as a "small" (I'm normally "medium"), but I went by that as that is my US size. When it arrived it was clearly too small - called them, and when they checked their system, my required 57 was coming out at 7 1/4.... not sure if it's just the shape of this hat or what's the issue there.... needless to say, I had grat service and there was no problem having the hat exchanged, but worth double checking on the size issue before you order.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You look at Rumblefish in that back panel shot and say to yourself, my that looks roomy. My Mossi modern A-2 with side panels and gussets looked that way before I gave it the Sears Best treatment. The USAF should have contracted iwth G&B and maybe no blasted gussets and sidepanels would have ever been necessary. I'm only speculatin';)

dean

South

One of the Regulars
deanglen said:
You look at Rumblefish in that back panel shot and say to yourself, my that looks roomy. My Mossi modern A-2 with side panels and gussets looked that way before I gave it the Sears Best treatment. The USAF should have contracted iwth G&B and maybe no blasted gussets and sidepanels would have ever been necessary. I'm only speculatin';)

dean

Dean,

What is "the Sears Best treatment"?

deanglen

South said:
Dean,

What is "the Sears Best treatment"?

I was trying to be cute with words referring to putting my jacket in the washing machine in HOT water and then zippering her up and letting the dryer tumble it dry at high heat setting, which I did four times. The goatskin shrank nicely. Some do not recommend doing this. I took the chance since I judged the amount of leather extra to warrant a try, to two. Brings the grain out better, too! It was way too blousy for my taste, now hugs nicely, not tight, just close like I wanted. Sleeves are a bit shorter, as well, and judging by period photos, just right.

dean

regius

resurrecting the thread! how's the Gibson Barnes doing? do they still sell these jackets? only custom order?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen