Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pink Lipstick

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Hi ladies, I need to ask your advice with regards to where I can get hold of matte pink lipstick, or matte strawberry red? I have several summer outfits that I don't think are gonna go with bright red.

I bought myself a MAC "Ruby Woo" as recommended in one of the other threads here and I am so impressed with it that I wondered if anyone has any recommendations for something a bit toned down.

I don't know if pink lipstick was worn much in the 40's but I have a rose pink linen day dress and a citrus/mix 50's day dress that I am really stuck matching a lip colour with...... any suggestions?

By the way is there something I have to do to be able to post attachments as I don't seem to be allowed to according to the little forum rules box at the bottom left of my page. Excuse my being stupid, it's probably something really obvious that I haven't spotted but what do I do?

maisie

Practically Family
Every thing goes with red lipstick!!:rolleyes:
Try Mary Kay, I got the most fab red lipstick from them (perfect 40's red and stays on all day!) They do quick a range of colours and its got a nice texture to it and doesn't taste funny/have funny smell!! (Which i find alot of lipsticks do! YUK!!)

Emily C.

New in Town
Hello!
I agree with Maisy, EVERYTHING goes with red lipstick! Also, it is such a great vintage look! I use Mary Kay and Rimmel lipsticks and they are great!
Good luck!
Emily

katiemakeup

Practically Family
MAC also has 'Moxie' which is the same matte as 'Ruby Woo'- although it is more on the fuchsia side of pink. Or if you get desparate, use a lipliner in the color you like and fill in your lips with it. MAC's 'Cherry' & 'Brick' pencils are the perfect classic red, too. YSL has beautiful creamy matte lipsticks too. Well worth the money.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Hot pink lippy

Hello gang!

I'm looking for a hot pink lipstick shade that would pass for 50's or 40's. First of all, did they wear that shade then?
I've been browsing several threads and seen pics of "cherries in the snow". To me it looks like something close to the hot pink/deep pink I'm looking for. However, you call it a red (maybe it just looks pink on the screen). Besame has something called exotic pink, also close to what I'm looking for. But we don't have that brand in Sweden, so maybe you could recommend a MAC shade for instance? It musn't look post-50's . Thank you sweethearts!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cherrie in the Snow is a Revlon color that has been around since at least the early 50s, but it really is a red with a lot of blue in it, not truly a hot pink. I haven't seen any evidence that hot pink was worn as a lipstick in the 40s (and I have no idea about the 50s, an era I don't like), anyone else?
But if it looks great on you, what the heck! Wear it! Any strong lipstick color is going to look vintage compared with the usual stuff people wear these days.

Here's C in the S:
41T2g18H5wL._SS500_.jpg

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Revlon's "Love That Pink" might be up your alley. It's a bright pink 50's shade. And while I can't swear to it, I have it in the back of my mind that it has been around a long time. Please correct me if I'm wrong!! :)

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Is there a sort of resource that says how long different Revlon shades have been around? I'd like to use one as a 'shopping guide'. ;)

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Looking through my collection of 1940s magazines, red dominates, but there were some pink shades too, especially toward the mid-late part of the decade. Besame has an authentic period reproduction color called Exotic Pink (Chen Yu had a shade called Exotic Pink in 1944, but I'm not sure if that was Besame's inspiration). It's a bright pink (like Love That Pink).

Some other Chen Yu shades - these are 1946
47b8dd20b3127cceb5ecbdac81bd00000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Here's a Revlon shade called "Pink Lightning" from 1945

47b8dd20b3127cceb5ecbda9008800000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Tangee had some pinks, such as "Pink Queen"

47b8dd20b3127cceb5ecbdad008c00000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Decobelle said:
Looking through my collection of 1940s magazines, red dominates, but there were some pink shades too, especially toward the mid-late part of the decade. Besame has an authentic period reproduction color called Exotic Pink (Chen Yu had a shade called Exotic Pink in 1944, but I'm not sure if that was Besame's inspiration). It's a bright pink (like Love That Pink).

Some other Chen Yu shades - these are 1946
47b8dd20b3127cceb5ecbdac81bd00000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Here's a Revlon shade called "Pink Lightning" from 1945

47b8dd20b3127cceb5ecbda9008800000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Tangee had some pinks, such as "Pink Queen"

47b8dd20b3127cceb5ecbdad008c00000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Those are great! Would you post a larger scan of the Chen Yu shades if you have it, please? I'd love to see the name and get a better look.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Noirdame, I can't seem to make that other one bigger. I am not very good with the technical stuff. I think it is my photoserver, as the original photo scans are huge - bigger than my scanner. I tried another Chen Yu ad - this one from 1945 - but I'm not sure it will show up any larger.

47b8dd20b3127cceb5eda920a17700000025100JZOG7Zm1Yo

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Well, no matter what I do, it stays that size! The pink color is called Sea Shell. Other names (from the top) are: Mandarin Red, Frozen Fire, Canton Red, Pink Sapphire, Black Cherry, Temple Fire, Burma Red, Wistaria (a dark pink), Black Sapphire, Dragon's Blood, Flowering Plum, Oriental Sapphire, and Brown Coral.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Thanks for trying and for the other picture...wow...black nail polish and lipstick. I wonder how popular that was (I'm sure the Black Widows and other female zoot suiters wore them).

Caledonia

Practically Family
Hi Cherry Lips

Besame will ship internationally. I'm in the UK and each order has got here within a week of ordering. They ship over very quickly. The lipsticks work as a stain or for heavier application, and I don't wear any other brand now. The look is perfect for the period, and the lipstick stays really well.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
pink thank you kisses

Thank you all for your kind advice. I just adored the "Pink Queen" ad Decobelle posted! I'll take your advice and try on Revlon's Love that pink and Mac's Girl about town and see which one becomes me the most. It'll be fun, I'm tickled pink! (Sorry about the pun, haha.)

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
besame has some nice matte pink shades like exotic pink (a hot pink),or portrait pink. urban decay has a gel/lip-stain that is semy matte (and comes in the cutest little bottle) in a natural daytime pink called envious, revlon does'nt have matte lipstick, but has a beautifull shade called rosewine, a very gentle red that would go very well with pink ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR