Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipes

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Are there any pipe smokers in the lounge? I'm a new convert from cigars, and I wanted to know what type of tobacco every one enjoys. I've been trying a few and want more opinions.

Ive tried Peterson Golden Blend
Cornell and Diehl Crooner
and Peterson Sherlock Holmes

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A Pipe Dream

I am a RARE pipe smoker. I have two. One is a straight pipe, the other has the big s curve to it.

My tobacco is the mild "Sun Valley" blend from my local smoke shop.

Very sweet. I prefer that direction of taste.

Smoke slow and low..I learned that the hot pipe taints the flavor and smoking fast is a sure way to "burn" your mild flavor.

My straight pipe has a balsa filter, the curved one does not.

One pipe was about $40, the curved one, made in Italy, was $100.

When it comes to pipes, it is just a novelty for me. I enjoy it, but usually when the weather turns cold, and damp.

Wife hates it.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'd like to hear some opinions, too, as I'm thinking of taking up the pipe. I used to smoke a cigar every now and again, but haven't for years. Won't touch cigarettes. My dad smoked a pipe when I was a kid, and it always smelled nice. My wife likes the smell of a pipe, so I'm set there.

Brad

Geez, I hate to admit it but I have about ten pipes. All the way from the Sherlock Holmes to MacArthur. LOL
I didn't buy one these were all from my father and uncles. I even use the old tabacco when I smoke it---Dreamcastle number 9. I suppose I could buy some new tobacco but I haven't finished the old yet and I cannot find a brand comparable in pleasant smell and mildness. I smoke outside the house so it doesn't bother the wife. ;)

Regards,

J

zeus36

A-List Customer
I've got tons of pipes, some new, lots of estate ones. Been collecting them since my Navy days back in the early 80s. Mostly smoke English tobaccos, sometimes blend my own.

Freehands, standards, straights, bents, Merschams, Churchwardens,... some high end and some not so well known ones. Used to recondition the estate ones myself, but I've got all that I need. Two of my favorites are large straight billards from the 30s made by Sidney P. Ram (retired in 1942).

Forrestal

One of the Regulars
I too have dozens of pipes.

I have been on a 27-year search (so far) for the perfect tobacco. Some of my favorites are: Revelation from House of Windsor (Albert Einstein?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s favorite), McBaren?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Dark Twist, and Navy Flake, and Squadron Leader.

Pipe smoking seems to be a link back to the ?¢‚Ǩ?ìold-days?¢‚Ǩ?. The 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s, 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s of course, but even further back. You can hardly see any of the posed pictures of Civil War era solders without seeing a great many proudly smoking their pipes.

Cigar?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and Cigarettes are fine. You smoke them and they are gone, but a good pipe is enjoyed for years.

Regards,
Forrestal

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
I like pipes but haven't smoked one in years. My first was a little carved meerschaum pipe and case. I bought it more for looks but soon tried it out. My favorite is/was a bent style, similar to the pic below.

brigham-2.jpg

I sill like the "Bob Dobbs" style pipe. :cool:
bob.jpg

As far as tobacco goes, Borkum Riff and Captain Black are the only brands I can remember. The local tobacco shop had some great "no name" blends.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I don't really believe in smoking of any sort, but if I were to smoke a pipe, it would be a real Bing Crosby style like Matt pictured above. Gee, that looks familure;) I wonder where he got that LOL

Root.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
My Pipes

I actually smoke a Savinelli Bings Favorite pipe,in conjuction with C & D Crooner tobacco, a blend formulated by Bing and a friend. No one smokes a pipe like BABABA-BING. I listen to his mellow tones daily in my car.

love that picture Matt where did you get it???

zeus36

A-List Customer
Originally posted by Forrestal
I have been on a 27-year search (so far) for the perfect tobacco.

Well I found the perfect tobacco around 1989 at a small pipe shop in Northridge, CA . The shop was Ed's Pipe shop and the tobacco was called Colonial - blended up with 13 different tobaccos! I bought 2 pounds of the stuff and enjoyed a majority of it until I learned the place went out of business! No one knew what happened; I'd drive by the empty place when I was in town, and ran into a few of the regulars also driving around the old shop, who also wondered what happend to Ed and his store. So, the secret to the mixture dissapeared with Ed and all I have left is 1/2 pound that I save for Christmas Day.
Perhaps with the internet I can discover the porportions, suppliers, and ingredients...

Wild Root

Gone Home
Where the blue of the night, meets the gold of the day, some one waits for me?¢‚Ǩ¬¶

Ah, Bing is the king of croon! He started so early and lasted so long! He started to sing with the Paul Whitman?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Rhythm Boys in the 20's also with Bix Beiderbecke. I'm a big fan of his early work from 1928 to 1936. I do like all his recordings from 1937 to 1948.

It was a lovely April shower, it was the most convenient door, I found a million dollar baby in a five and ten cense store...

Oh, sorry.

Root.

shamus

Suspended
I have a few pipes. my favorite I bought used at an antique show, Savinelli Silver. The grain is almost perfect, it's really beautiful, never gets hot. I just picked up my first pipe holder. All wood with room for 6 pipes and the top opens for your tobacco. And the best part is I paid $5.00 for it and when I opened the lid it has a Dunhill label!

I also have all my great grandfathers pipes too. They're a lot smaller than todays pipes and I found out why.

Back in the early 1900's... pipes that were small bowled were actually used to smoke cigars in. They'd put the cigar in the bowl and smoke it like a pipe.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
pipes, cigars, etc

I smoke most every day. Usually a pipe when I'm working on the garden or stuff for my chickens. I enjoy cigars much more but the price gets me so I pickup a few cigars and save them for the right moment. I have a Peterson full bend that I smoke inside and a cheap straight pipe I take outside, my wife is ``with child'' so I don't smoke in the house right now. As far as tobacco I smoke what I can find. Most of the Dunhill blends are great but usually I smoke something loose from the store I got to that I can't remember the name of right now, that's strange. I get a lot of flack for being rough on pipes. I smoke hard and fast and only clean them when I really need to.

Cigarettes hang over me. I will kick them for a few years then one day pick it back up for a bit then put them back down. Here in NC they hand out cigarettes in elementary schools. That's not true but back when NASCAR was still the Winston Cup you could get free cigs by the truck load walking in downtown Charlotte during Race Week.

Cigars: I love Don Thomas Special Editions, I can only find them at Famous Smoke now. Also, I'll grab a box of Dunhills when I get a bonus or something. Both are great.

shamus said:
I have a few pipes. my favorite I bought used at an antique show, Savinelli Silver. The grain is almost perfect, it's really beautiful, never gets hot. I just picked up my first pipe holder. All wood with room for 6 pipes and the top opens for your tobacco. And the best part is I paid $5.00 for it and when I opened the lid it has a Dunhill label!

I also have all my great grandfathers pipes too. They're a lot smaller than todays pipes and I found out why.

Back in the early 1900's... pipes that were small bowled were actually used to smoke cigars in. They'd put the cigar in the bowl and smoke it like a pipe.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Interesting. I just picked up six pipes at a garage sale around here last Saturday. They were 50 cents each and one of them was a Savinelli. They came with two stands. One was a cool stand to put a single pipe on. Kind of handy for when you need to put your pipe down before you are finished or to get that Old Fashioned. ;)

Regards to all,

J

shamus

Suspended
James,

Great deal on the Savinelli! Thats a great bargin!

For those who don't smoke a pipe and want to buy one.. the key is not the brand, but a good brand should bring you a good pipe.. But the thing to look for is the grain of the briar wood. Grain that is straight up and down is the best as it draws away the heat from the bowl. So the more grain, the cooler the bowl. This is of course for wood pipes only...

shamus said:
James,

Great deal on the Savinelli! Thats a great bargin!

Yeah it was quite a deal. Even more funny is that I only noticed what it was after I brought it home. It needed a cleaning but I might just have to try it out soon. I suppose I should credit my wife for dragging me to the estate sale and even leading me to the pipes.
The guy who sold them to me thought he really got over on me. :p He even winked to his son. ;) I love my new neighborhood. :p
Ok, enough bragging. :rolleyes: What do you all use to clean the mouthpiece on your older pipes? Is there some place where you can even get new ones? I once met a guy with a whole box of brand new mouthpieces but I passed on it. Darn! :kick:

Regards to all,

J

shamus

Suspended
I boiled mine, but beware it will make a black mouth piece brown.

You can get them made for about 25 bucks at most higher end pipe shops. You can even get the little "S" on it if you want!

I need to go to more estate sales, but here in LA there's lines of people waiting to get in so you don't find much.

shamus said:
I boiled mine, but beware it will make a black mouth piece brown.

You can get them made for about 25 bucks at most higher end pipe shops. You can even get the little "S" on it if you want!

I need to go to more estate sales, but here in LA there's lines of people waiting to get in so you don't find much.

Hmmm... That explains the brown mouthpiece on mine. :p
I have polished them up with Novus II plastic polish to pretty good avail and it does take quite a bit of the brown off. I was just wondering if there was something that worked better.
$25 isn't all that bad for a mouthpiece considering what a Savinelli costs new. ;) I wonder if Savatelli makes replacement pieces. I will have to check.
There are lines here for estate sales as well. They might even have something that is worth buying too. :p

Regards to all,

J

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
For starters look at my avatar. That used to be my regular pipe until I found a short stem straight estate pipe at an antique store. Before I ever had any interest in smoking cigars or pipes I used to collect them because I liked the smell very much... then I sold them all... then I started smoking them... and now I only have two.

Estate pipes are the way to go and... all of my stems are brown :cheers1:

Yes I am quite a fan of the pipe. I like anything Peterson makes. The "early morning pipe" flavor is just that. A nice early morning pipe.

I am mainly a cigar smoker but it is quite nice to enjoy something you don't have to ash every five minutes.

I am known to go places with a pipe in my mouth (I never had a pacifier when I was a baby so I guess it's a Freudian thing) An unlit pipe is a very common accessory for me.

And one thing that people don't realize today is that most pipe smokers in the 20's and 30's were college boys! Because it was CHEAP!

And the last thing I really like about pipes is... you don't have to stop talking and for those that know me... well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran