Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipes

warbird

One Too Many
Missouri Meershaum is a fancy term for a corn cob pipe. But, typically they were good pipes. I would think it more of a fun piece to have in the collection, than a smoker. I have quite a few of them. The old ones do not smoke well., but they have such interesting character. As diamondback said, cobs are really throw away pipes. They simply do not taste good after a few months of smoking, but new they smoke as well as some of the best briars. Mac himself had nice custom made pipes, but he tossed the bowls and kept the stems and changed them often.

He was also partial to a nice calabash, though there certainly not as many pics of him with those.

shortbow

Practically Family
I had to give up my pipes about 6 months ago :( due to the onset of asthma. But my favorite all-day tobacco was Gawith's Skiff Mixture, and I liked Peterson's Irish Oak for evenings. Loved meerschaums and Butz Choquin briars. The Skiff is a nice light English, a real treat if a full English has put you off in the past.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Today's pipe was a Bjorn of Sweden Bent Apple w/ antler and packed with Peterson Special Reserve 2007. I, too, like a Meerschuam now and than; I have 2 IMP and 1 CAO. I am going to give the Gawith Skiff Mixture a try. After many a try, I have never really been able to develop a taste for the English blends.

freebird

Practically Family
Here are a few of my pipes, this isn't all of them, still a few I missed, but except for my Peterson Red Killarney bent these are the nicest ones.

razorsandpipes034.jpg

razorsandpipes036.jpg

razorsandpipes035.jpg

Picked this Meerschuam up for 10 at a local antique store about 4 years ago. Was told that it dated back to WW2.

razorsandpipes037-1.jpg

razorsandpipes038-1.jpg

This freehand is marked "Mediterranean Briar -Israel" and PipePal on the other side.I plucked it and the next 2 out of box at a flea market for the sum of 2.00 each.

razorsandpipes042-1.jpg

razorsandpipes043-1.jpg

razorsandpipes044.jpg

A fairly clean Falcon. I have my Grandfather's Falcon pipe also. Anoher 2.00 pipe.

razorsandpipes047-1.jpg

This is another 2.00 pipe, only marking I can find is on the stem and it say' "Tulsa". I live not too far from Tulsa (40 mles one way) and have never seen or heard of these.

freebird

Practically Family
The last few that I couldn't post with the first ones.

razorsandpipes050.jpg

razorsandpipes051.jpg

One my Dad carved a face in. Not sure where he picked it up

razorsandpipes056.jpg

razorsandpipes058.jpg

A fairly nice Weber.

Copper

One of the Regulars
Freebird - love your old Falcon! My grandfather too smoked a Falcon, which I inherited when he passed a couple years ago. Still has his last-ever plug of Erinmore flake in it too. I bought my own Falcon, as I couldn't bear to clean it out. I find that the 'radiator stem' - especially combined with a meerschaum lined bowl, really cool off some of the hot-burning but tasty blends like MacBarens.

Tonight, I rode my motorcycle off West of the city and found a nice place to watch the solstice sunset. My accompaniment to the show was my trusty old Petersen rusticated military mount and a bowl of 'Baker Street Revisted' - a local English blend. I thought about taking my Ser Jacapo Maxima Bulldog, but I didn't want to be out there all night - both the pipe and its chamber are huge!

freebird

Practically Family
Thanks Copper! I know what you mean about not wanting to clean the pipe out,I'm the same way. I inherited 3 of his pipes and a stand, the other two are a corncob and a clay pipe, neither have markings on them. I thought about just picking up another bowl and using his pipe,but found the whole falcon so cheap I couldn't pass it up.

Peterson's are my favorite pipes, I've got two, a red Killarney bent with the p-lip and a bent (not sure what model it is, it's not at hand atm,but it has the military mount.

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
Hiya guys! I've read through this whole thread and there's not one female pipe smoker. I'm just starting to get into it. I was borrowing a pipe from a friend for a while, but and working on getting my own now. Does anyone know a good source of "ladies pipes"? I seem to be striking out on ebay. Thanks!

Warbaby

One Too Many
While it wasn't intended as a ladies' pipe, a Kaywoodie "White Briar" might be an elegant choice for a lady. I don't know if they still make them, but I see them from time to time on eBay. Here's one of mine that I save for white dinner jacket occasions:

pipe_white.JPG

Levallois

Practically Family
Dunhill Prince with a military mount - dates to 1919-1921 - I wish I had better photos but you can see the grain of the shell. An absolutely incredible smoke!

John

DunhillPipe005.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran