Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipes

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hello there pipe enthusiasts! I purchased this Missouri Meerschaum pipe yesterday as an anniversary gift for my fella, to replace the cheap, junky one he has that's falling apart. I found it in a nautical antiques store in Portland, ME. It was labeled as being from the 1930s and has a butterscotch bakelite stem.

Any information you could provide on the quality or value of this pipe would be most appreciated!

mm.jpg

mmlabel.jpg

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Nice find, Kitty. I usually don't buy used cobs, as they're found brand new real cheap. But that one is a collector's item. Much better than any produced by MM nowadays. Is that a sterling band? Bite marks on the bit?

Should clean up very nicely and smoke like a dream.

Richard

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LocktownDog said:
Nice find, Kitty. I usually don't buy used cobs, as they're found brand new real cheap. But that one is a collector's item. Much better than any produced by MM nowadays. Is that a sterling band? Bite marks on the bit?

He previously had a cob pipe (he is partial to them - it's related to a fondness for McArthur) with a stem that he had chewed to bits. I wanted to find something similar, but nicer for him.

I do not know if the band is sterling - what is the best way to tell? There are no bite marks at all on the bit, and the inside appears to be quite clean.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
KittyT said:
I do not know if the band is sterling - what is the best way to tell? There are no bite marks at all on the bit, and the inside appears to be quite clean.

If there is no hallmark or stamping on the band, then its probably nickel base. I would just clean it and the bit with a good gritty toothpaste and an old toothbrush. You won't believe the gunk that comes off. Wipe it down good afterwards with a wet cloth. Run a pipe cleaner soaked in rum through it a couple of times, and he'll be ready to go.

Richard

PMVARGO

New in Town
Cob pipes

i have a few and i like them my favorite is a EATON et has a straight shank
easy to clean but the tips crack seems that you just get one broken in and you have to get a new one the cost of a new pipe is cheper than the tip
PAUL M VARGO

PMVARGO

New in Town
KAYWOODIE

I bought a Kaywoodie pipe today all it says on the stem is Kaywoodie Super Grain
dont know much about this pipe
It dosent smoke to bad i tryed it for the first time today
PAUL M VARGO

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
PMVARGO said:
I bought a Kaywoodie pipe today all it says on the stem is Kaywoodie Super Grain
PAUL M VARGO

Kaywoodies are an old american standard in pipes. They're very dependable and smoke great (particularly if you can get them from the pre-1970 era). They had some great ads in old magazines too.

Richard

John Boyer

A-List Customer
PMVARGO said:
PAUL M VARGO

The Kaywoodie pipe has a very long history and these pipes are currently manufactured by S.M. Frank & Co. Listed below is a link to some history of this pipe and company. I have also seen a few Kaywoodie's listed for sale in the estate pipe section of www.smokingpipes.com. Might be interesting to see if these resemble or match your recent pipe purchase.

www.smfrankcoinc.com/history/index.htm

PMVARGO

New in Town
Kaywoodie

John Boyer said:
The Kaywoodie pipe has a very long history and these pipes are currently manufactured by S.M. Frank & Co. Listed below is a link to some history of this pipe and company. I have also seen a few Kaywoodie's listed for sale in the estate pipe section of www.smokingpipes.com. Might be interesting to see if these resemble or match your recent pipe purchase.

im going to look at those web pages i think i found a fair pipe it only cost 35 dollors think im going to like it
Thank s for your reply P M Vargo

PMVARGO

New in Town
PMVARGO said:
im going to look at those web pages i think i found a fair pipe it only cost 35 dollors think im going to like it
Thank s for your reply P M Vargo
went to these linke and the history of kaywoodie was impressive dont know much about pipes i thought they were imported
Thank you for your time
the pipe i bought was listed for 37 dollors on their web site

PMVARGO

New in Town
John Boyer said:

Thank s for your reply P M Vargo[/QUOTE]
went to these linke and the history of kaywoodie was impressive dont know much about pipes i thought they were imported
Thank you for your time
the pipe i bought was listed for 37 dollors on their web site

PMVARGO

New in Town
vanilla

Mike K. said:
Greetings friends. As mentioned previously I like a wide variety of pipe tobaccos - from the traditional drugstore aromatics like Capt. Black Royal to English blends like G. L. Pease Westminster (very similar to original Dunhill).

I was wondering if anyone has tried the newer MacBaren tobaccos Original Choice or Vanilla Choice?

Also, I am looking to try a nice vanilla flavored tobacco. Not simply a vanilla aromatic but something with a good, strong vanilla flavor (yes I know it will probably be goopy). Any recommendations?
i just smoked a vanilla from www.boswellpipes.com
(THE NAME IS PARADISE) I ENJOY IT
another light vanilla is boswells best you might like these they are worth a try
i purchase most all my tabacco from him smokes pretty clean
PAUL M VARGO

John Boyer

A-List Customer
PMVARGO said:
i just smoked a vanilla from www.boswellpipes.com
(THE NAME IS PARADISE) I ENJOY IT
another light vanilla is boswells best you might like these they are worth a try
i purchase most all my tabacco from him smokes pretty clean
PAUL M VARGO

I don't know if this is precisely what you are looking for, but I have always enjoyed Pipeworks & Wilke's blend No. 191. Technically, this is a honey-vanilla blend but I find the vanilla to be predominant. While I prefer Virginias I have always found the Pipeworks & Wilke cavendish blends to be exceptional. Not to unindate you with websites but, www.tobaccoreviews.com is a very good place to get additional information on specific blends and brands. Lastly, I have not tried the MacBaren blends you mention. I do occassionally smoke, however, the MacBaren Cube blend, for what that's worth.

PMVARGO

New in Town
web site

John Boyer said:
I don't know if this is precisely what you are looking for, but I have always enjoyed Pipeworks & Wilke's blend No. 191. Technically, this is a honey-vanilla blend but I find the vanilla to be predominant. While I prefer Virginias I have always found the Pipeworks & Wilke cavendish blends to be exceptional. Not to unindate you with websites but, www.tobaccoreviews.com is a very good place to get additional information on specific blends and brands. Lastly, I have not tried the MacBaren blends you mention. I do occassionally smoke, however, the MacBaren Cube blend, for what that's worth.
thanks for the web site

RudyN

One of the Regulars
I restarted pipe smoking this past October after a 30 year layoff and have since then purchased about a dozen pipes on e-bay (Estate Pipes as they are called-used) and two brand new ones. If you want to find out a lot about pipe smoking try the Smoker's Forum. The people there are very knowledgeable and helpful. Here is the website address:

http://www.smokersforums.org/forums.php

In addition for very GOOD pipes at a reasonable price try Boswell pipes. I have one of his pipes and it is great!

KittyT said:
He previously had a cob pipe (he is partial to them - it's related to a fondness for McArthur) with a stem that he had chewed to bits. I wanted to find something similar, but nicer for him.

Kitty, as a MacArthur scholar I just thought I'd mention that every photo of Mac with a corncob I've seen it's a "straight-in" stem, rather than the angled/curved style you found.

Nice find, though! Bear in mind, back then corncobs were thought of as "throwaway" except to Mac, who had many custom-made to his specs (the modern version is MM's 98M "Mac"--this is the colossal all-day puffer in so much MacArthur Memorial memorabilia and on the cover of Old Soldiers Never Die).

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Todays pipe was a Viggo Nielson Hand-finished freehand with a horn perrule--shaped as a "shark-tooth"--and packed with Astley's #2. Astley's #2 is my "go to" blend. It smokes consistently from "top-to-bottom" and can be smoked "all day". I am very interested in picking up a good corncob pipe, as well as, a clay pipe. I do not have either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran