Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pipes

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I might have posted this in the Overcoat thread, but this coat is really a car coat and it has a feature that I think will be appreciated by those who read this thread.

As you'll see from the label, this is a Gadabout Pipe 'n' Pouch Coat. What is that?

It's a coat that includes, on the lower left inside of the lining, a zipper pocket of heavy, thick nylon meant to be used as a tobacco and pipe pouch.

I get compliments on the coat all the time, but I get a special kick out of revealing its most unusual feature to those who comment on it.

coat.jpg
label.jpg
zipper1.jpg
zipper2.jpg
lining.jpg

Now I'm bracing myself to be told that this was a very common feature on coats of that era, and there's nothing special whatsoever about my Gadabout.

Feraud

Bartender
skyvue said:
I might have posted this in the Overcoat thread, but this coat is really a car coat and it has a feature that I think will be appreciated by those who read this thread.

As you'll see from the label, this is a Gadabout Pipe 'n' Pouch Coat. What is that?

It's a coat that includes, on the lower left inside of the lining, a zipper pocket of heavy, thick nylon meant to be used as a tobacco and pipe pouch.

I get compliments on the coat all the time, but I get a special kick out of revealing its most unusual feature to those who comment on it.

coat.jpg
label.jpg
zipper1.jpg
zipper2.jpg
lining.jpg

Now I'm bracing myself to be told that this was a very common feature on coats of that era, and there's nothing special whatsoever about my Gadabout.
Talk about form following function eh? That is a cool feature!
This is similar in idea to today's jackets and suits that feature cell phone pockets.

RedPop4

One Too Many
"Inspired by Kaywoodie."
My buddy Warbird gave me an old Kaywoodie pipe a couple years ago. It's my favorite pipe. It belonged to his father or uncle who was an officer in WW II. While Lucky Strikes and others got the enlisted through the war, Kaywoodies got the the officers through. Generalization? Yes. But y'all get the point.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Back to pipes, if I may ...

I always here people say they enjoy the smell of a pipe, but I honestly have no experience with them. Is the smell simply because people are smoking flavored blends?

I have a cigar on occasion and, honestly, very few people would say, "That smells lovely. I simply must have a cigar myself!" If pipe tobacco were straight (not blended with some kind of aromatic), it would smell just the same as a cigar, correct?

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
HamletJSD said:
Back to pipes, if I may ...

I always here people say they enjoy the smell of a pipe, but I honestly have no experience with them. Is the smell simply because people are smoking flavored blends?

I have a cigar on occasion and, honestly, very few people would say, "That smells lovely. I simply must have a cigar myself!" If pipe tobacco were straight (not blended with some kind of aromatic), it would smell just the same as a cigar, correct?

The ones that non-smokers think smell really great are mostly aromatics flavored with something. A plain, unflavored Virginia blend would not smell like a cigar, but it would be more "tobacco like" than an aromatic. Most non-smokers don't like the smell of the Latakia in an English blend. It's not exactly the same as a cigar, but strong nonetheless.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Greetings friends. As mentioned previously I like a wide variety of pipe tobaccos - from the traditional drugstore aromatics like Capt. Black Royal to English blends like G. L. Pease Westminster (very similar to original Dunhill).

I was wondering if anyone has tried the newer MacBaren tobaccos Original Choice or Vanilla Choice?

Also, I am looking to try a nice vanilla flavored tobacco. Not simply a vanilla aromatic but something with a good, strong vanilla flavor (yes I know it will probably be goopy). Any recommendations?

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Mike K. said:
Greetings friends. As mentioned previously I like a wide variety of pipe tobaccos - from the traditional drugstore aromatics like Capt. Black Royal to English blends like G. L. Pease Westminster (very similar to original Dunhill).

I was wondering if anyone has tried the newer MacBaren tobaccos Original Choice or Vanilla Choice?

Also, I am looking to try a nice vanilla flavored tobacco. Not simply a vanilla aromatic but something with a good, strong vanilla flavor (yes I know it will probably be goopy). Any recommendations?

Give this a try.

virginia-alliance.jpg

warbird

One Too Many
I'm glad you're enjoying the pipe RedPop.

I really enjoy 965 and all Frog Morton blends. Just an FYI for those who may have interest in perique. It is grown only one place in the world, a relatively small bit of land in one area of Louisiana.

Latakia is one of those tobaccos either really liked or really disliked. If you open a tin with latakia in it, you will know immediately. It smells like campfire smoke. It tastes and burns differently than its smell unsmoked would leave you to believe.

New pipes or refurbished pipes will also burn hoter because they have no build up. You want your briars to build some cake on the walls. They will burn cooler and it keeps a hole from burning in your pipe. Dont smoke briars too often, giving them a day to dry out after a day of smoking.

As mentioned meershaums dont need the rest, but don't let cake build in those. The coolest thing about meers is after many smokes they develop a nice golden patina. That patina is darker in some areas than other, depending on heat. It gives eac pipe its own character, no two are the same.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Perique is grown and processed in an area only about 1 square mile or so on the west bank (I believe) of St. James Parish. I think we're down to one farm owned by the Martin family. I can't find the article from a few years ago.

Curt Dawson

Familiar Face
A bowl a day keeps the stress at bay

Been a pipe smoker for about 15 years now.Usually a bowl on my drive in to the shop that I work at.For pure taste enoyment I smoke straight latika or 50/50 latika/perique.But others are often bothered by the smell.Around the lady's I smoke the cavendish blends as they have the most appeal.:)

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Curt Dawson said:
Been a pipe smoker for about 15 years now.Usually a bowl on my drive in to the shop that I work at.For pure taste enoyment I smoke straight latika or 50/50 latika/perique.But others are often bothered by the smell.Around the lady's I smoke the cavendish blends as they have the most appeal.:)

I've never heard of smoking straight latakia. Where do you even get it?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
RockBottom said:
I've never heard of smoking straight latakia. Where do you even get it?

It can be purchased at many online shops as a blending ingredient. After all these years, this is the first I've heard of anyone smoking it straight, however. The highest percentage I've seen in a blend was 65% ... and that was far too strong in flavor. I've always found latakia to be better used as a condiment leaf at about 25% or less.

Richard

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
It still seems strange to me younger men smoking pipes. There are quite a few photos of GIs in WWII smoking them. All of them under 24-25 they seem alot more mature. What is a reaction when a young man smokes a pipe now a days ? I feel Men have lost their sophistication now. Men don't grease their hair, wear coats or smoke pipes anymore. It's a shame really. I'm a Cigar smoker ( smoking a La Perla Habana as I type ) and tried the pipe. Pipes require attention that I can't give them. My friend is an avid pipe smoker and carries a kit with him. What really suprised me is in Holland people still roll their own ! All my Cousins roll cigarettes ! Last time I saw someone roll one was on the 3 Stooges !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran