Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playboys on Parade!

Landman

One Too Many
Here is a Royal Stetson I recently purchased off of Ebay. It has no model name anywhere on it but is very similar to my other Playboys. It has a Playboy style ribbon and 2 1/2" brim with a single row of stitching around the brim. The felt is very soft and lightweight like my other Playboys. The only difference I can tell is the block number. This one is a 124 block and one of my other Playboy's is a D122 block. I didn't have time to check my other one. Did all Playboys use a specific block?

The original owner put it in a cattleman's crease and I'll probably leave it like that because any other bash shows the remnants of the old crease. I'll try to take some better pictures when I have time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Stets...qkKVEl3mvPz%2FCxUsLzw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

barrowjh

One Too Many
Grey 7 3/8 landed just before Christmas for $58

Landman, I wonder if that is a bantam instead of a playboy. It definitely looks like a playboy in just about every way, except for the lack of 'Playboy' on the sweatband. Maybe it was refurb'd in vintage times and that is a replacement Stetson sweatband? I dunno.

Here is one I landed just before Christmas for just $58 (add $10 shipng) in 7 3/8 and cleaned up for a friend. Auction #9114901159818468800588. It probably didn't attract much attention because it was such a dull looking grey, but it turned out to be a very taupe grey. I was impressed with how supple the felt was, first Playboy I have ever handled. Nice hat.

Out of the box -

the real deal -

Incandescent lighting, all cleaned up and opened up, smooth as I can get 'em by hand -

Ready to meet the groom -

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The only difference I can tell is the block number. This one is a 124 block and one of my other Playboy's is a D122 block. I didn't have time to check my other one. Did all Playboys use a specific block?

As far as I can see, it was blocked on a #122 block, which was "the Playboy block". It came in different versions - aside from the "clean" #122, I have seen both "A" and "D" versions of the 122. Many of Stetson's hats came without a model name. Many of their best hats didn't have a name, but sold due to their quality alone.

Interesting manufacturing label, though. Maybe Alan can elaborate a bit on it. He usually can ;)

Last edited:
As far as I can see, it was blocked on a #122 block, which was "the Playboy block". It came in different versions - aside from the "clean" #122, I have seen both "A" and "D" versions of the 122. Many of Stetson's hats came without a model name. Many of their best hats didn't have a name, but sold due to their quality alone.

Interesting manufacturing label, though. Maybe Alan can elaborate a bit on it. He usually can ;)

I thought 122 was the Stratoliner block? :) My Playboy (late 1930s) is marked with block 123.

The label is a mystery. I have it on only one hat... a clear nutria longhair from an earlier era.

nutriablonde15.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I can't really see the liner-crest, but from sweat and liner I would say mid to late 50s. Could it be a "new" sweat and liner, put in an older hat? If so, I would expect it was also cleaned and blocked - which often meant lost labels. Hmmmm ... that's a very interesting hat!

Landman

One Too Many
In my original post I stated it was a 124 block. I misread the label. It is a 122 block and the label can be seen in the last auction photo. I have never seen a yellow label like that before.

I think you gentlemen are correct and this hat has been refurbished somewhere along the way. I think it was originally a Playboy too because the bow and brim stitching matches my other Playboy exactly.

Very comfortable hat. The felt is incredibly soft. Too soft for a windy day. Walking into the wind yesterday the front brim kept flying up. I looked like that guy from the TV show "F Troop" :)

Alan: What was the block, you used for the Playboy restoration, you showed some pics from some months ago? Was that a #120 or #108?

Don't think it was me. I've owned two Playboys - an early one which I still have:

playboy10.jpg

playboy11.jpg

and a later one which now belongs to another FLer:

playboy2.jpg

playboy5.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I thought 122 was the Stratoliner block? :) My Playboy (late 1930s) is marked with block 123.

Yep. Every single Playboy I have ever seen used the 123 block.....however the ones from the mid 30's are taller than the ones from the 50's. I would assume that Stetson kept the same profile of the block, they just shortened the height later on.

John Galt

Vendor
Well gents, my Playboy has a 122 Block. It's pretty early, I believe, and IMHO, a beauty. Raw edge, of course, but no stitching.

y6anetab.jpg

rypyry2y.jpg

erudahu5.jpg

qe8ysypy.jpg

upa6ahum.jpg

nasuvehe.jpg

sy3ynuma.jpg

ysa5a8a4.jpg

Unfortunately, this is the hat I ruined the grosgrain hatband on and had to have replaced.

I didn't take a photo, but the underside edge of the liner is stamped "A718" in red. This can be seen a bit in one of the photos.

The crown appears to be right at 5" open.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
That Playboy was clearly blocked on a #122, but when I paired #122 with The Playboy, it was due to decay of gray matter. I was aware, that #122 was used for Stratoliners, but mixed Strat and Playboy for a moment. Anyway, it's very interesting to see a Playboy blocked on #122 :)

I still wonder about the hat, Alan showed us - and my memory keeps telling me, it was Alan. It may not have been a Playboy, though. I remember it as a sand/beige/camel colored hat, shown with a pristine open crown. My memory also suggests an outdoor picture - maybe on a garden table(?)

Strange! Usually my memory is pretty good ... I don't remember, it ever failed lol

I'll take a look to see if I can find what you are remembering Ole.

The trademark filing (1935) for the Stetson Playboy shows a first use date in 1934. I have no doubt that the style went through changes during the 20 years that followed with different blocks, crown heights, brim widths, brim edge finishing, etc. My gray hat posted above with gold size tag, three part mfg. label and $5.00 price sticker is a 1930s example. The $10.00 Royal Playboy, perhaps 10-15 years later.

Landman

One Too Many
I double checked my Playboys and one has a D122 block. Unfortunately the other one is missing its manufacturing label. Then there is my most recent purchase (posted a few pages back) which I think is a refurbished Playboy that has a 122 label.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Alan I have always asked the question when the disscussion of hat block numbers is what makes the block a 122 vs a 920 per say..

The easy answer is: "The shape" :)

It's my understanding, that no lounger has a collection of original blocks from Stetson. A comparison of blocks is probably not possible - only a comparison of open crowns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass