Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playboys on Parade!

Excellent bump. I'd forgotten this thread when I searched... much richer that one I posted in. I will add photos of my two older Playboys here over the weekend.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
THIS IS A COPY OF A POST ( Side by Side / Hat Comparisions http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/page-25 ). A copy bellows on this thread.

A vintage Stetson Playboy is an intriguing fedora. In the beginning the Playboy fedora sold for a modest price. In a 1940 Advertisement Stetson touted that over 2,000,000 men had paid over $10,000,000 for Playboys. It is "Extra Light" and comes in "30 attractive shades." Imagine that Stetson advertised that over 2,000,000 of the hats sold. Amazing.

91Qh7Qcq09L._SL1500_.jpg

i-sgBPWNh-M.jpg

I have been fortunate to gather 4 of the vintage hats. I would like to share them on this thread. As usual Stetson had oodles of variants on the model. I present 2 of each with 2.5" brim and 2 3/4" brim. The brims of 3 have a single row of stitch and 1 no stitch. The leather sweatbands, certainly showing their age, are of different qualities. Three of the hats are vintage felt and 1 is Vita Felt. The Vits Felt I have been curious about since watching the forum postings of other Vita fedoras. This felt is extraordinary thin and maleable. It has a very soft feel to the touch.

i-sR7sCW5-M.jpg

The ribbons have aged differently than the hat bodies or leather. The gray felts have ribbons that vary significantly in color. When turning the ribbons over, as much as they allow, the ribbons have obviously faded.

i-mhvnTfk-L.jpg

i-GvRXPKJ-M.jpg

i-wSTtGkR-M.jpg

i-PnPv5n7-M.jpg

i-jxxfxv4-M.jpg

i-bhwr2sz-M.jpg

i-zWSbjHB-M.jpg

i-3Tbp3XK-M.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

Eric -
Hot damn that is one hell of a collection. To say I am green with jealousy is an understatment. If you have to many and want to send them my way I would not argue. ;)
wear them in good health.
Johnny

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
THIS IS A COPY OF A POST ( Side by Side / Hat Comparisions http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/page-25 ). A copy bellows on this thread.

A vintage Stetson Playboy is an intriguing fedora. In the beginning the Playboy fedora sold for a modest price. In a 1940 Advertisement Stetson touted that over 2,000,000 men had paid over $10,000,000 for Playboys. It is "Extra Light" and comes in "30 attractive shades." Imagine that Stetson advertised that over 2,000,000 of the hats sold. Amazing.

91Qh7Qcq09L._SL1500_.jpg

i-sgBPWNh-M.jpg

I have been fortunate to gather 4 of the vintage hats. I would like to share them on this thread. As usual Stetson had oodles of variants on the model. I present 2 of each with 2.5" brim and 2 3/4" brim. The brims of 3 have a single row of stitch and 1 no stitch. The leather sweatbands, certainly showing their age, are of different qualities. Three of the hats are vintage felt and 1 is Vita Felt. The Vits Felt I have been curious about since watching the forum postings of other Vita fedoras. This felt is extraordinary thin and maleable. It has a very soft feel to the touch.

i-sR7sCW5-M.jpg

The ribbons have aged differently than the hat bodies or leather. The gray felts have ribbons that vary significantly in color. When turning the ribbons over, as much as they allow, the ribbons have obviously faded.

i-mhvnTfk-L.jpg

i-GvRXPKJ-M.jpg

i-wSTtGkR-M.jpg

i-PnPv5n7-M.jpg

i-jxxfxv4-M.jpg

i-bhwr2sz-M.jpg

i-zWSbjHB-M.jpg

i-3Tbp3XK-M.jpg

Eric -
WOW! If you run out of room to store those Eric I've got some room. Just send them to me :)

i-sR7sCW5-M.jpg

The ribbons have aged differently than the hat bodies or leather. The gray felts have ribbons that vary significantly in color. When turning the ribbons over, as much as they allow, the ribbons have obviously faded

Eric -

Great post, Eric!

RJR

91Qh7Qcq09L._SL1500_.jpg

i-sgBPWNh-M.jpg

i-sR7sCW5-M.jpg

i-mhvnTfk-L.jpg

i-GvRXPKJ-M.jpg

i-wSTtGkR-M.jpg

i-PnPv5n7-M.jpg

i-jxxfxv4-M.jpg

i-bhwr2sz-M.jpg

i-zWSbjHB-M.jpg

i-3Tbp3XK-M.jpg

Eric -
Nice review and collection,SBG,I'm envious!

Eric, great to read this comparison again. I am hungering for larger pictures and to know which Playboy goes with which details (brim width, etc.) Thanks for the great report.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
an early 40s Vita Felt Playboy
and a 1950s era Playboy

Both have absolutely wonderful felt .
The vita felt is pre stitched brim.
they both seem to be blocked on what looks like either 722 or 122 ... hand written on both and hard to tell

f83b151dce5e2d6b8d9a4e2fedbe4eeb.jpg

e5b973931d48f326ba4af01f69cac000.jpg

38738c2b650957fad87940fa6fc6776e.jpg

328bb747161a2eec4712d970752fcd87.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana