Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playboys on Parade!

As I mentioned in another thread when I won this on eBay, I ordered it as a BIN on Saturday morning around 7AM. It was in the mail in IL by 2:30 PM, and in my hot little hands Monday evening. Delivery so fast, I think I'll call it my "Dominoes" Playboy! Due the the lack of a liner, the previous wearer(s) left a bit of a sweat stain on the top of the hat. A gas bath has rid me of most of it, but some light staining is still present. Having an unlined with a stamped liner tip is pretty cool, tho.

Picture4.jpg
Picture1.jpg
Picture5.jpg
Picture6.jpg
Picture8.jpg
Picture9.jpg
Picture3.jpg
Picture2.jpg

As I mentioned in another thread when I won this on eBay, I ordered it as a BIN on Saturday morning around 7AM. It was in the mail in IL by 2:30 PM, and in my hot little hands Monday evening. Delivery so fast, I think I'll call it my "Dominoes" Playboy! Due the the lack of a liner, the previous wearer(s) left a bit of a sweat stain on the top of the hat. A gas bath has rid me of most of it, but some light staining is still present. Having an unlined with a stamped liner tip is pretty cool, tho.

View attachment 48273 View attachment 48274 View attachment 48275 View attachment 48276 View attachment 48277 View attachment 48278 View attachment 48279 View attachment 48280

Beautiful, Fruno

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 48273 View attachment 48274 View attachment 48275 View attachment 48276 View attachment 48277 View attachment 48278 View attachment 48279 View attachment 48280

great work Jim
it looks fantastic
that is a great lightweight piece of history right there ... beautiful
perfect hat for a spring day and a breezy summer night

something special about a Playboy

40Cal

One Too Many
eI have a few Playboy's. This one is the first I have owned with a liner. It was cheap due to a little mothing. A real shame because the hat has the appearance of one that has had very little wear. I hate moths!
Oh, and it's a Vita -Felt!
pboy.jpg
pboy1.jpg
pboy2.jpg
pboy3.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
sweet 40!!

I don't mind some mothing now and then ... honestly

it takes nothing from the hat in this case .. to me anyway

love it

40Cal

One Too Many
sweet 40!!

I don't mind some mothing now and then ... honestly

it takes nothing from the hat in this case .. to me anyway

love it
thanks Moon. I agree with you. Most of the nibbles on this hat are just that, nibbles. This one also had a hole all the way through the brim. It was fun patching it. Never tried a felt repair before.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
thanks Moon. I agree with you. Most of the nibbles on this hat are just that, nibbles. This one also had a hole all the way through the brim. It was fun patching it. Never tried a felt repair before.

did you do the old ... sand up some felt from the inside and fill it ?

I've had great success with that

I actually have one hat that I cannot find where the hole was ... and I forget

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
THIS IS A COPY OF A POST ( Side by Side / Hat Comparisions http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/page-25 ). A copy bellows on this thread.

A vintage Stetson Playboy is an intriguing fedora. In the beginning the Playboy fedora sold for a modest price. In a 1940 Advertisement Stetson touted that over 2,000,000 men had paid over $10,000,000 for Playboys. It is "Extra Light" and comes in "30 attractive shades." Imagine that Stetson advertised that over 2,000,000 of the hats sold. Amazing.

91Qh7Qcq09L._SL1500_.jpg

i-sgBPWNh-M.jpg

I have been fortunate to gather 4 of the vintage hats. I would like to share them on this thread. As usual Stetson had oodles of variants on the model. I present 2 of each with 2.5" brim and 2 3/4" brim. The brims of 3 have a single row of stitch and 1 no stitch. The leather sweatbands, certainly showing their age, are of different qualities. Three of the hats are vintage felt and 1 is Vita Felt. The Vits Felt I have been curious about since watching the forum postings of other Vita fedoras. This felt is extraordinary thin and maleable. It has a very soft feel to the touch.

i-sR7sCW5-M.jpg

The ribbons have aged differently than the hat bodies or leather. The gray felts have ribbons that vary significantly in color. When turning the ribbons over, as much as they allow, the ribbons have obviously faded.

i-mhvnTfk-L.jpg

i-GvRXPKJ-M.jpg

i-wSTtGkR-M.jpg

i-PnPv5n7-M.jpg

i-jxxfxv4-M.jpg

i-bhwr2sz-M.jpg

i-zWSbjHB-M.jpg

i-3Tbp3XK-M.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

Eric -

THIS IS A COPY OF A POST ( Side by Side / Hat Comparisions http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/page-25 ). A copy bellows on this thread.

A vintage Stetson Playboy is an intriguing fedora. In the beginning the Playboy fedora sold for a modest price. In a 1940 Advertisement Stetson touted that over 2,000,000 men had paid over $10,000,000 for Playboys. It is "Extra Light" and comes in "30 attractive shades." Imagine that Stetson advertised that over 2,000,000 of the hats sold. Amazing.

91Qh7Qcq09L._SL1500_.jpg

i-sgBPWNh-M.jpg

I have been fortunate to gather 4 of the vintage hats. I would like to share them on this thread. As usual Stetson had oodles of variants on the model. I present 2 of each with 2.5" brim and 2 3/4" brim. The brims of 3 have a single row of stitch and 1 no stitch. The leather sweatbands, certainly showing their age, are of different qualities. Three of the hats are vintage felt and 1 is Vita Felt. The Vits Felt I have been curious about since watching the forum postings of other Vita fedoras. This felt is extraordinary thin and maleable. It has a very soft feel to the touch.

i-sR7sCW5-M.jpg

The ribbons have aged differently than the hat bodies or leather. The gray felts have ribbons that vary significantly in color. When turning the ribbons over, as much as they allow, the ribbons have obviously faded.

i-mhvnTfk-L.jpg

i-GvRXPKJ-M.jpg

i-wSTtGkR-M.jpg

i-PnPv5n7-M.jpg

i-jxxfxv4-M.jpg

i-bhwr2sz-M.jpg

i-zWSbjHB-M.jpg

i-3Tbp3XK-M.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

Eric -
Nice job, thanks Eric.

Forum statistics