Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playboys on Parade!

40Cal

One Too Many
I posted this grey Playboy in the Vita Felt thread but I guess it belongs here too.
greyvitaplayboy_zpsiq0oquiu.jpg

greyvitaplayboy3_zpsphdzgk1k.jpg

greyvitaplayboy2_zpsfjxzuzcs.jpg

Great one!

If the sweat is flexible enough to peek behind without damage, let us know if there is a LOTXXXX number. It would be a large stamp, most likely towards the front of the hat. Here is one from a similar vintage:

playboy10.jpg

playboy11.jpg

playboy12.jpg

40Cal

One Too Many
Alan, they look like twins! The sweat on mine is in perfect shape. Unfortunately , it doesn't have a stamped lot number on it.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The one on the bottom actually needs a new sweat. Oh, and the dog was curious as to what was so interesting. Both 50's Playboys.

I got a little obsessed with photographing the two felt thicknesses. Thanks to this nifty clip on lens for my phone:

The unlined one on top is the lightest, thinnest hat in my collection. I think the bash changes if I blow on it.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
2 of the 3 that came from the same owner....a 92 year old man
pre-war gold ink size tag...40's mfg. labels

a 50's hat with a replaced ribbon

the 3rd hat's sweat was beyond help, these two had a bath

Received my first Playboy yesterday, via the Bay. It's my "accidental" hat, as the bid I threw at it wasn't expected to survive. I was as surprised as anybody when I won it. The listing had it described as reddish brown. So far, under mostly incandescent or fluorescent light, it's appeared anywhere from greyish to greenish with a little brown. Now that I've got some direct sunlight, I still don't see the red. I dig these old colors, they seem to play in light so freely, giving a different take on the felt every time you look at it. OK, on to the pics!

Picture20.jpg
Picture19.jpg
Picture18.jpg
Picture17.jpg

The innards...

Picture16.jpg
Picture15.jpg
Picture14.jpg

Guessing early to mid 50s based on the liner tip and logo on the sweat - with maple leaf. It's everything the previous posters have said - soft as butter, supple, light, easily shaped. It arrived crushed in a small box (no surprise there), but responded well to the steaming and I opened the crown with relative ease, though there were some ghost bashes that needed to be coaxed out from the previous crease. There are no tags under the sweat, just a keyhole size tag, so no re-order tags or anything like that. There is a small store price tag; however, it's so faded I can only read a couple of the numbers on it. It looks like the hat retailed for $7.50, maybe? Could be $12.50, too. Nothing on the sweat but the number 4 in magic marker and, like a previous poster mentioned, A714 is stamped on the liner.

Great hat. I'm thrilled to have it in my collection!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
You have yourself a beaut there Fruno.
I would agree with your assessment of its vintage.
Love the color... I really like my Playboy but the color is not my favorite... It is sort of a robins egg blue with some gray tones... It has a real spring feel.
Yours has that year round appeal.
Great bash you've applied .... Can't wait to see it on the noggin .
Congrats on a real gem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Received my first Playboy yesterday, via the Bay. It's my "accidental" hat, as the bid I threw at it wasn't expected to survive. I was as surprised as anybody when I won it. The listing had it described as reddish brown. So far, under mostly incandescent or fluorescent light, it's appeared anywhere from greyish to greenish with a little brown. Now that I've got some direct sunlight, I still don't see the red. I dig these old colors, they seem to play in light so freely, giving a different take on the felt every time you look at it. OK, on to the pics!

View attachment 39307 View attachment 39308 View attachment 39309 View attachment 39310

The innards...

View attachment 39311 View attachment 39312 View attachment 39313

Guessing early to mid 50s based on the liner tip and logo on the sweat - with maple leaf. It's everything the previous posters have said - soft as butter, supple, light, easily shaped. It arrived crushed in a small box (no surprise there), but responded well to the steaming and I opened the crown with relative ease, though there were some ghost bashes that needed to be coaxed out from the previous crease. There are no tags under the sweat, just a keyhole size tag, so no re-order tags or anything like that. There is a small store price tag; however, it's so faded I can only read a couple of the numbers on it. It looks like the hat retailed for $7.50, maybe? Could be $12.50, too. Nothing on the sweat but the number 4 in magic marker and, like a previous poster mentioned, A714 is stamped on the liner.

Great hat. I'm thrilled to have it in my collection!
Looks in great shape. A real steal. Wear or in Good Health!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy