Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Playboys on Parade!

Snowman

Practically Family
Just when I thought I was in remission with my H.A.S…
3167BAA5-2C45-4F46-9A00-0C62EF0F5918.jpeg
C53401AB-E659-4E93-8D1C-5E2A4951E105.jpeg
6C105F0A-ACED-4EC6-8314-43BA1B9C7690.jpeg

The felt is sooooo light and thin, yet it readily holds any crease. The only flaws I can see are a couple of dark blue streaks that almost look like ballpoint pen marks, but I think they are actually color streaks in the felt.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
This morning I would like to showcase my new Holiday gift. The pics on this cloudy morning are not the best, but be assured that you will see this gift being worn much more in the future.

i-DJmj3F3-M.jpg

i-WfkKh42-M.jpg

i-XML9Tqc-M.jpg

I am wearing my Holiday gift - a vintage Stetson Playboy Air Light.

i-gXQFNhH-M.jpg

i-jWMWRxb-M.jpg

i-JwKGMZQ-M.jpg

i-F6GgQMk-M.jpg

The Air Light is exactly as embossed - Air Light. The felt is soft and maleable. A big wind, or brushing the crown with your hand would change the crown or brim shape. The felt is soft and smooth. A vintage beauty.

i-WpvMRg2-M.jpg

i-vVDJmvq-M.jpg

The festive hat box was a surprise and perfectly timed.

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:

Mighty44

One Too Many
This morning I would like to showcase my new Holiday gift. The pics on this cloudy morning are not the best, but be assured that you will see this gift being worn much more in the future.

i-DJmj3F3-M.jpg

i-WfkKh42-M.jpg

i-XML9Tqc-M.jpg

i-gXQFNhH-M.jpg

i-jWMWRxb-M.jpg

i-JwKGMZQ-M.jpg

i-F6GgQMk-M.jpg

The Air Light is exactly as embossed - Air Light. The felt is soft and maleable. A big wind, or brushing the crown with your hand would change the brim shape. The felt is soft and smooth. A vintage beauty.

i-WpvMRg2-M.jpg

i-vVDJmvq-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Spectacular—congrats, Eric!

i-DJmj3F3-M.jpg

i-WfkKh42-M.jpg

i-XML9Tqc-M.jpg

i-gXQFNhH-M.jpg

i-jWMWRxb-M.jpg

i-JwKGMZQ-M.jpg

i-F6GgQMk-M.jpg

The Air Light is exactly as embossed - Air Light. The felt is soft and maleable. A big wind, or brushing the crown with your hand would change the brim shape. The felt is soft and smooth. A vintage beauty.

i-WpvMRg2-M.jpg

i-vVDJmvq-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Fantastic hat, Eric, and perfect presentation. What a great gift!

I don't believe I've ever seen a Playboy with a bound brim.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Spectacular—congrats, Eric!

Thanks for the hat compliment sir.

Fantastic hat, Eric, and perfect presentation. What a great gift!

I don't believe I've ever seen a Playboy with a bound brim.

The hat does have a bound brim and I have never seen it before either. The brim measures 2.5" and shows no sign of alteration. The thread and workmanship appear to be consistent with other Stetson hats . I compared it to a handy Stetson Stratoliner. Is it original -perhaps.

i-Nx2r6Hv-M.jpg

The vent hole is soooo very cool. The snowflake pattern is well done in the very thin felt.

I am a fortunate fellow to have such a hat on my hat rack.

Cheers, Eric -

The hat does have a bound brim and I have never seen it before either. The brim measures 2.5" and shows no sign of alteration. The thread and workmanship appear to be consistent with other Stetson hats . I compared it to a handy Stetson Stratoliner. Is it original -perhaps.

i-Nx2r6Hv-M.jpg

The vent hole is soooo very cool. The snowflake pattern is well done in the very thin felt.

Cheers, Eric -

I dig the vents, too. A lot of bells and whistles on that one.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here

i-Nx2r6Hv-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Another beautiful example of the Playboy with so many differences it’s like it’s not even a playboy. Wider bound brim with the vent. I wonder if the block is the same. Almost a playboy meets the stratoliner. Always jealous of these great finds. Wear it in good health and I look forward to seeing more of it in the new year.
Johnny

Another beautiful example of the Playboy with so many differences it’s like it’s not even a playboy. Wider bound brim with the vent. I wonder if the block is the same. Almost a playboy meets the stratoliner. Always jealous of these great finds. Wear it in good health and I look forward to seeing more of it in the new year.
Johnny

Good question. Eric, can you get a read on the block #?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Johnny

Good question. Eric, can you get a read on the block #?

Gentleman; Here is a pic of the labels inside the brim.

i-r8xJkZ5-M.jpg

I see the block number as a 123. I have read on the forum that 123 was the block for the early Stetson Playboys. I have read that A, B, D 123 blocks have been referenced on the Playboys on Parade thread. I do not know more than just the 123.

FYI: The block number got me rethinking the Stetson block number conundrum. I revisited the posts that I contributed comparing the Strat and Playboy. Fort the curious they are listed below.

Strat and Playboy block comparison post:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-stetson-playboy.1601/post-2844740

Block 122 and 123 comparision post:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-stetson-playboy.1601/post-2844829

Eric -

Last edited:

StoryPNW

Practically Family
I'm so happy to finally have something to contribute to this thread. Here is my unlined Playboy. Not sure what Stetson called the color it's a medium grey-brown kind of color. It has the single stitch at the brim edge and a brown wind cord.
20230127_132639.jpg
20230127_132714.jpg

20230127_131418.jpg

20230127_131430.jpg

20230127_132604.jpg

I found this tag behind the sweat band, not sure if it came from this hat or was stuck in there at some point but it's the right size.
20230127_131449.jpg

I'm so happy to finally have something to contribute to this thread. Here is my unlined Playboy. Not sure what Stetson called the color it's a medium grey-brown kind of color. It has the single stitch at the brim edge and a brown wind cord.
View attachment 484705 View attachment 484706
View attachment 484709
View attachment 484708
View attachment 484707
I found this tag behind the sweat band, not sure if it came from this hat or was stuck in there at some point but it's the right size.
View attachment 484710

So much to like here. What’s the width of the brim?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 484709
View attachment 484708
View attachment 484707
View attachment 484710

Very nice. That is one that has eluded me thus far.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 484709
View attachment 484708
View attachment 484707
View attachment 484710

Congrats on your new Playboy. Your fedora is in excellent condition. I have not seen Playboys with contrasting wind cords before. I like the subtle change and eye appeal.

Your pics are crystal clear and I am appreciating the brim stitching. It reminds that I will compare brim stitching with a few of my vintage Playboys to see if the brim stitching remained similar over the years.

Congrats on your new un-lined Playboy.

Cheers, Eric -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider