Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please give me your current opinions on Cirrus Sheepskin jackets

BRJACKET

New in Town
I have been looking at the Irvin style jackets for awhile. I really like Eastman and Aero. I am not hard core about being exactly authentic . I do like the side warmer pockets for example (and Aero makes a version of this). I have been looking at Cirrus recently. I like the color and looks of the photos on their webpage. I actually am looking at the Original Flying Jacket which is the Irvin with pockets. The pictures make the jacket look a little more loose fitting than the Eastman and Aero which I like from a comfort standpoint. But I have to admit the snug fit looks nice (comfort vs. style).

My question is about quality. I have researched Cirrus on this forum but there are not many recent posts on quality especially about the sheepskin jackets. Most posts are over a year old. What do you think of their quality currently? I have been e-mailing them (I am in the states) and they have been very nice to deal with so far. Thanks for any help.

Edward

Bartender
Cirrus jackets are really not at all historically accurate. Some of them look a bit 'Eighties' to me, though that's a very subjective opinion. By all accounts the quality is there, if you don't much care about historical accuracy. I've seen good deals on them used - see eBay UK - they don't tend to fetch the higher prices used as they're a less well known brand (unlike ALC which has the right to use the 'Irvin' mark), and they don't appeal to most of the vintage crowd for the aforementioned reasons. I'd look into buying used if you can if you want to go with a Cirrus jacket.

Norsksea

New in Town
I received a packet of samples and a catalog from Cirrus. The sheepskin samples are as nice as the Aero sheepskin sample I have. I like the Cirrus true bomber jacket and the Cirrus defender with no wool showing on the cuffs or bottom of jacket. I would have ordered one from them but I ordered a Aviation Leathercraft Irvin with the same option. No wool on the cuffs or bottom of jacket and with pockets too.
If you buy a Cirrus get one with pockets. This isn't WWII
Frank

BRJACKET

New in Town
Thanks for the input so far. I have ordered samples and am waiting for them to arrive. The photos on the website are nice but do not look as "military" in style. I will wait to see what the samples and catalogue look like. I do appreciate the comments on quality. I have watched e-bay and so far haven't seen any cirrus jackets. It is a good comment that the vintage people will not like them as much on resale. Hopefully, I will not want to sale which is why I am working on "due diligence" right now.
I have looked at the Aero site and like the color of the leather on the "Real Deal" jacket. I know it's not accurate but I think the hand warmer pockets make sense. The jackets on the Cirrus site look very similar to those on the ALC site to me. Please keep any other thoughts coming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff