Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help assess my hats......

pgoat

One Too Many
Hi all,

I'd like to start '08 off right. Here is my current line up of fedoras. Can you of the Lounge have a look at your Leisure and give me your brutal opinions on what works, and what doesn't??

I did all the frontal shots, and then the same order but with a three-quarter angle. I am not naming them so as to avoid any pre-conceived favoritism or bias on your part (in terms of brand names, etc.). There is however, a definite order - stingier brims going gradually wider to my widest (tho' I spared you all the cowboy hat!:D )

Thanks in advance - and my apologies for the prison mug shot facial expressions and less than stylin' threads....I was a bit knackered that night. Rather than have my wife take a whole lotta pics again, I am waiting for some new lids to arrive....

Here's the frontals:

pgoat

pgoat

pgoat

pgoat

pgoat

pgoat

pgoat

pgoat

RBH

Bartender
I will study them some more but right off the bat ... you have a face made for a fedora.
Like some hard boiled detective that is always one step ahead !:D

Anyway I have to say I like the wider brims on you best, that panama looks great. I also like #5 and # 8 ... shoot they all look good. wellll maybe #1 needs to go to Bolthead.!:D

pgoat

One Too Many
RBH said:
I will study them some more but right off the bat ... you have a face made for a fedora.
Like some hard boiled detective that is always one step ahead !:D

Anyway I have to say I like the wider brims on you best, that panama looks great. I also like #5.

lol That's great! Hard-boiled....though I think I look scrambled here!!! :eek: I apologize that these are so huge....that's a lot of my face for anyone's computer screen!!:D (and I shouldn't have eaten a crumby cookie right before trying on the hats (ee-yew!:p ).

But thanks, and I am def looking for opinions on brim width, crown height and shape, colors, etc. In general my wife says the darker colors are better for my skin tone but for some reason that panama spoke to me.....I had bought my first 'real' fedora - a beautiful new Biltmore from JJ Hats on 5th Avenue - but it was too big. They were very cool about my exchanging it (a year later!!!) and this straw was the only hat they had with a nice front pinch in my size. Since I didn't have anything but a cheapo cotton fedora that is fading fast for summer, I figured, why not?

surely

A-List Customer
The proportions in 4 & 7 look the best to my eye given the pictures. The crown in 5 looks high but that could be a cool look for you. As far as color, I'm not sure what goes with red pupils...:D

carter

I'll Lock Up
I agree, you have a face made for a fedora.

Nice selection of hats.
Looks to me like you can pull off any brim width.
However, 6, 7, and 8 seem to work the best.
I think the grey in 6 looks the best followed by the charcoal in 7.
I think 8 with a green, brown, or tan suit or sportcoat would look terrific.
That panama looks perfect for summer although a wider brim would be even better.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
You have a face made for Fedoras, I have a face made for radio...

The Panama looks great! I also think numbers 5 and 7 look very good on you. Number 6 almost looks a little too big, like it's riding too low on your head compared to the others.
Nice hat collection!

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I intentionally only looked at your posts to make sure I wasn't unknowingly swayed by others.

I liked #3, #4, #6, & #8 the best.

Of those, the Panama looks the best. I don't know if it's the shape of the hat, the brim, or the fact that it's a panama, but I like it. I usually don't prefer panamas over felt fedoras. It just looks exceptionally well on you.

I think #1 is a tiny bit too small (brim wise), and #7 seems to big to my eye.

The rest of them look OK.

Just my 2 cents worth (maybe not even that much!)

pgoat

One Too Many
These are great! Thank you all so much, and please keep the comments coming. Fyi, I agree with most of what is being posted; also, I will absolutely give more info on which hat is what. I just want to give it a day or so so anyone else who wants to comment can.

You guys are a tremendous help, and I totally trust your collective learned eyes - thank you again.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If I had to really choose, I'd say 4, 5, 7 & 8 look the best to me. But on the whole, you just look good in fedoras. They suit you, even the stingies, though to me they look more casual (they always do to me!). very nice collection pgoat! :eusa_clap

HungaryTom

One Too Many
#5,#6,#8 and the Panama

Pgoat,

Tall crown, wide brim and wide ribbon seems to suit you the best.
You are created for the Borsalino-like fedoras-this seems to be the optimum on you.
If your hat size is small enough you can get even vintage ones.

Please hands off the stingy brim (porkpie) and don't collect cowboy hats.

Regards:

Tom

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Wider brims

I think you should have wider brims than shown. You have a full face and a 2 1/2 inch or wider brim will look better.

jeboat:) :) :)

Mustang

One of the Regulars
As a funny (to me anyway) side note:

I had two teenagers sitting next to me while I was "assessing" the hats. They asked me what I was doing, and I told them. Both of them thought I was losing my mind because, to them, all the hats are the same! :eusa_doh: Kids... shakeshead [huh] lol

pgoat

One Too Many
Mustang said:
all the hats are the same! [huh] lol

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what everyone tells me to get me to stop buying more!!!!!!lol lol lol lol

I truly appreciate all these responses - you guys rock!

pgoat

One Too Many
HungaryTom said:
Please hands off the stingy brim (porkpie) and don't collect cowboy hats.

lol! I learned that lesson already....bought a few nice beaver cowboy hats many years ago only to realize since I work indoors I had nowhere to wear them!!:eek:

I now have one cheap straw cowboy hat which only serves to ward off melanoma during my rare daylong hikes or outdoor work. (bought while on vaca in Hawaii, to replace the even cheaper one from Target that was quickly falling apart)

No porkpies for me!!!! This is the one of the only guys who can get away with it in my book:
lester.GIF
(Lester Young, in his prime)

pgoat

One Too Many
and even beyond his prime......

williams_ted_lester_young_newport_jazz_festival_1965_11x14_L.jpg

I think his attitude is just as important as face/head shape.

I appreciate all the comments that fedoras suit me....I kinda thought I'd 'grown into them', as they have recently looked good in the mirror - when I was younger I couldn't pull them off......maybe that was the attitude - not 'hard boiled' enough yet!!!!lol

Please keep the advice coming - means a lot to me!!

HungaryTom

One Too Many
pgoat,

See we have saved you already a lots of money by telling you which hats NOT to buy.
So you have the budget for the next gazillion fedoras you collectlol -you will spend that hat money anyway, won't you?
And yeah, the critics will be right, - all your hats will be even more 'the same':D

Such is life.

"...a few nice beaver cowboy hats..."- Buying quality pays always.

pgoat

One Too Many
it does, except i bought the first and most expensive one too small, thinking it would stretch!!:eek:

That hat was beautiful, but the fit was one ornery lil varmint

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy