Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please Help Me Cure My Indecision

tblay

One of the Regulars
I need your help. Because my fiancé is tired of hearing about it. This is probably all TLDR, but if you're bored today, maybe you can help me out.

Okay, so I just moved from Houston (east side of Texas) to Silver City, New Mexico (west side of NM). I own two bikes and next week me and a buddy of mine are going to ride from Houston to Silver City to get my bikes here (~1,000 miles). Though it's unbelievably hot in Texas right now, I'm going to use this opportunity to break in a new jacket. Trouble is, I can't figure out which one to break in and/or keep in the rotation.

Option 1.: A custom Johnson Leather cafe racer. For this project, I wanted to get a little creative. So I got some Tan bridle leather from Wickett and Craig, split to 3.5 oz. I also ordered a tartan from Lochcarron. I sent both to Alan at JL, along with measurements and an idea of what I wanted. He sent back a stunning jacket.

Pros: This jacket fits amazingly, has pockets for armor if I want, and it's a unique, outstanding piece of craftsmanship that I'd be proud to beat up and establish some history with.

Cons: I deeply regret my color choice and wish I would've gone with the Dark Brown from Wickett and Craig. Why, oh, why didn't I look at my Filson bags and think, "That's the correct color!"? (I tried darkening it by using Skidmore's, but it maybe darkened just a smidgen. I put on two coats of Skidmore's, and I'm scared to oil it more than that until some time has passed. I've read that olive oil will darken it, but I don't want the jacket to rot years down the road. My hope is that it will darken with use, since it's veg tanned.)

Also, I can't get this jacket the slightest bit broken in. I mean, I know the trip is for breaking in, but I can't even get this bridle leather to stop standing up on its own. I can barely tolerate sitting on the bike with the jacket on. Since I conditioned it, it's softened a tiny amount, but not much. I've also tried: rolling it up in all sorts of directions, jumping up and down on it while it's rolled up, bear hugging and wrestling it on the bed while it's rolled up, wearing it around the house to do chores, taking a nap in it, and I also got soaking wet in it once, though not intentionally. The jacket remains like putting on a brick. Maybe this is why no one makes jackets from bridle leather...

Option 2.: An Aero Cafe Racer in Brown FQHH.

Pros: The jacket is already comfortable, I love the color and leather, it's great for surprise rainstorms, and it's lighter weight.

Cons: The fit is off the rack, the biggest problem being I feel like the front is too short. The sleeves are meant for someone with triceps and wrists thrice my size. Because the fit isn't great, I don't know that I want to invest a lot of time in the piece.

I've attached some photos. I'm sorry they're terrible quality. I don't know if they'll help or hurt, but there they are nonetheless. I'll try to get some better pics taken soon.

So what's your vote?

IMG_3497.jpg IMG_3498.jpg IMG_3507.jpg

avsmusic1

Familiar Face
do you have a pic that better demonstrates the sleeve issue on the Aero? The one you've included doesn't look that bad.

I'm inclined to vote for the JL. It sounds like you're not overly pleased with either but I suspect an off the rack aero would fetch a better price on the secondary market so I'd be inclined to keep that one as close to new as possible.

technovox

One Too Many
So if I understand this correctly, the fit on the Johnson Leather is perfect, but leather is the wrong color and is too stiff to wear. Meanwhile, the fit on the Aero will never work for you, but the leather is comfortable.
They're both beautiful jackets, but if I was faced with this situation, the solution would be simple. Sell them both, get what money you can for them. And then take that money and order the style that fits, but in a more comfortable leather. In this case,that would be the Johnson Leather jacket (perhaps remake in Johnson's Horween overdyed black, skinned down.)
My experience has been to always go with the fit. If the jacket doesn't fit well, or is too uncomfortable to wear, it doesn't matter how cool the leather looks, how much you paid for it, or what brand you're wearing. Just treat the two jackets as a learning experience, part of the process. Believe me, I've been there...and churned through my share of beautiful, expensive jackets that just didn't work right for me.
Just my humble opinion.

pawineguy

One Too Many
So if I understand this correctly, the fit on the Johnson Leather is perfect, but leather is the wrong color and is too stiff to wear. Meanwhile, the fit on the Aero will never work for you, but the leather is comfortable.
They're both beautiful jackets, but if I was faced with this situation, the solution would be simple. Sell them both, get what money you can for them. And then take that money and order the style that fits, but in a more comfortable leather. In this case,that would be the Johnson Leather jacket (perhaps remake in Johnson's Horween overdyed black, skinned down.)
My experience has been to always go with the fit. If the jacket doesn't fit well, or is too uncomfortable to wear, it doesn't matter how cool the leather looks, how much you paid for it, or what brand you're wearing. Just treat the two jackets as a learning experience, part of the process. Believe me, I've been there...and churned through my share of beautiful, expensive jackets that just didn't work right for me.
Just my humble opinion.

I couldn't have said it better, as I too have cycled through way too many jackets trying to get things just right. I can't imagine that you're ever going to be happy, and even though you will take a loss, you will trade two jackets you don't wear for one that's perfect for you. As for the trip, I would wear the Aero if the other jacket is that uncomfortable. That's too long of a trip to not be able to settle in on the bike and relax.

Surferbruce

Familiar Face
Wow...I love the tan color of the Johnson. I suspect that with time and age you will too. It's gorgeous.
To me the darker browns are just...too dark ( your Aero looks great though). Go with the Johnson!

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to agree, if you're not completely happy with either jacket, put them both down to experience & use that experience to procure the jacket that meets the brief. I don't want to even reflect on my 'jacket journey' & the fiscal resources I've ploughed in over the years...too frightening!!!

tblay

One of the Regulars
Just my humble opinion.

Yes, this is perfectly said. And I thank everybody for your comments so far.

I agree that fit is the most important. That's why I'm tempted to go with the JL and just wear it and try to break it in. I would love to sell the Aero, but sadly, I am too small-sized for the American market, first or second hand. It's nearly impossible to resell a size 36 on eBay, here, styleforum, etc. I get so many, "If only it was bigger..." replies. If only I could resell to the Japanese market...

I got a sample of the Horween overdyed black, but it just wasn't for me.

Anyway, I think you're right that fit is the ultimate criteria, and I appreciate your opinion.

tblay

One of the Regulars
Wow...I love the tan color of the Johnson. I suspect that with time and age you will too. It's gorgeous.
To me the darker browns are just...too dark ( your Aero looks great though). Go with the Johnson!

I'm hoping, if I can withstand getting it broken in, that I will love it too, after it's patinated a bunch more.

avsmusic1

Familiar Face
I agree that fit is the most important. That's why I'm tempted to go with the JL and just wear it and try to break it in. I would love to sell the Aero, but sadly, I am too small-sized for the American market, first or second hand. It's nearly impossible to resell a size 36 on eBay, here, styleforum, etc. I get so many, "If only it was bigger..." replies. If only I could resell to the Japanese market...

Is the Aero cafe racer a true 36? (is that your typical suit jacket size)
You may be surprised what will sell. I sold a 38 J107 recently and had two serious buyers interested in less than a week. I know the cafe racers typically fit snug but I believe it's the Thurston sonoma cafe racer that they recommend people go down a size on. If your 36 fits like a 38 then you may not have as much trouble as you think. Either way, it's worth a try.

bn1966

I purchased an ELC (Eastman) H-Hide Jacket that fought me for at least a couple of months on a daily basis before it capitulated (broke in) & became my favourite light leather of all time (so far). I owned another ELC in goatskin that cost me a packet but never ever felt quite right on (lovely to look at though), it was a closet Queen / Wardrobe King & eventually was moved on.

ProteinNerd

I have to agree with the other guys that have said to move them on, take the financial hit, but then be happy with a jacket that fits and you like the look of.

Like most of the guys here, I've cycled through way too many jackets (and money) but I'm pretty happy with what I've been left with.....and I only occasionally cry myself to sleep over the jackets I've had to sell on now lol

I am intrigued by the bridle leather jacket, would a cold water soak help break it in? Veg tanned leather should be ok with cold water right?

As for the 36 Aero, as pointed out, that should fit someone who wears a 38 jacket...that shouldn't be too rare....have you listed the measurements when trying to sell?

tblay

One of the Regulars
I purchased an ELC (Eastman) H-Hide Jacket that fought me for at least a couple of months on a daily basis before it capitulated (broke in) & became my favourite light leather of all time (so far). I owned another ELC in goatskin that cost me a packet but never ever felt quite right on (lovely to look at though), it was a closet Queen / Wardrobe King & eventually was moved on.

I have an A-1 from Eastman that I love, actually. I've long thought about trying an A-2 from them. Their A-1 is the best off the rack fit I've ever experienced. I haven't looked much at their moto line.

I have to agree with the other guys that have said to move them on, take the financial hit, but then be happy with a jacket that fits and you like the look of.

Like most of the guys here, I've cycled through way too many jackets (and money) but I'm pretty happy with what I've been left with.....and I only occasionally cry myself to sleep over the jackets I've had to sell on now lol

I am intrigued by the bridle leather jacket, would a cold water soak help break it in? Veg tanned leather should be ok with cold water right?

As for the 36 Aero, as pointed out, that should fit someone who wears a 38 jacket...that shouldn't be too rare....have you listed the measurements when trying to sell?

I always list measurements when I try to sell, as it annoys me to no end when others don't and I have to ask for them. I'll try listing the Aero CR again, when it's closer to fall. Thanks for the encouragement.

Oh, I did a cold water soak of the bridle leather. Forgot to mention that. Once it dried, it was like I'd never soaked it. That is some gnarly material.

bn1966

This summer I moved on a number of jackets & purchased an ELC capeskin A-1 Still need opportunity to break it in :)

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
If it were me, I would make the ride while wearing the JL. If it was a particularly hot day for the start of the trip, I would give it a good soaking and then ride it dry. The only way to break-in a jacket is to...break it in. A thousand miles of shake, rattle, and roll should do wonders, for a start. Even if the jacket is quite restricting, after you spend the nineteen or so hours it takes to get clear of Houston there will be vast stretches of open road.
And lastly, pack another jacket to climb into just in case the JL starts to beat you up too badly while you are trying to beat it up.
Sounds like a fun ride!

tblay

One of the Regulars
This summer I moved on a number of jackets & purchased an ELC capeskin A-1 Still need opportunity to break it in :)

That's the one I have. It's a great jacket until the temp dips down. But I can't ride in it...

If it were me, I would make the ride while wearing the JL. If it was a particularly hot day for the start of the trip, I would give it a good soaking and then ride it dry. The only way to break-in a jacket is to...break it in. A thousand miles of shake, rattle, and roll should do wonders, for a start. Even if the jacket is quite restricting, after you spend the nineteen or so hours it takes to get clear of Houston there will be vast stretches of open road.
And lastly, pack another jacket to climb into just in case the JL starts to beat you up too badly while you are trying to beat it up.
Sounds like a fun ride!

Come on, now. It'll only take eighteen hours to get out of Houston. :D Your advice sounds good to me.

bn1966

I certainly wouldn't be wearing the ELC A-1 when I ride either :) I sort of view it as a leather Sweater.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
tame that monster leather! as long as you can ride in it safely, not hindering your movements, I guess it would be ideal opportunity to break it in. :)

dan_t

Practically Family
Bridle leather for a jacket? Must be a beast of a thing.
I think everyone's advice is sound, although I agree not altogether palatable.
Loosing money on nice things is never an ideal.
Getting that perfect fitting jacket in the exact cut & leather combo will eventually erase all ill memories though.

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Personally I'd go with the Aero. I wouldn't even think about starting a 1000 mile trip in gear that wasn't comfortable. Sounds like a recipe for a miserable ride.
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24