Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please help ID this British military jacket

Ben Langworthy

New in Town
I recently got this jacket and I was wandering if someone could shed any light on it as I don't recognise the design.

It's definitely British as the label is stamped with the broad arrow due to the colour I'm guessing R.A.F or civil defence?

The cut is a little reminiscent of battledress however there are no pleats on the back. There are also no external pockets or epaulettes. It's true that these could have been removed however if this were the case I would expect to see evidence of this such as stitch holes etc of which there are non. The button layout also doesn't tally with battledress I've seen. It also has reinforcements to the elbows.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg

Edward

Bartender
Could be Royal Navy of some sort? The design is reminiscent of the US Navy's N1 deck jacket.

The other thing that makes me thing Navy is the button flap-over the zip. In a post- WW2 era with increasingly enclosed, pressurised and climate-controlled jet-fighter cabins, the need for a windflap over the zip would surely be nil? Exposed to the elements on deck, however...

Is there a possibility it's Commonwealth / Imperial - i.e. Canada, Aus, NZ....?

Ben Langworthy

New in Town
Thanks Edward!

Yeah there's definitely something of the N1 about it. It also reminds me a bit of a 30's sports jacket.

I contacted Jamie from Blighty Militaria who said that the 22G contract number identifies it as being R.A.F but that he hadn't come across this design before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner