Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: When you see a fellow hatwearer...

Alon

One of the Regulars
[I couldn't figure out how to create a poll but it doesn't really matter as I've only thought of two options.]

When you spot a fellow fedora wearer in a crowd, do you:

(A) take pride in and enjoy seeing a like-minded spirit?

or

(B) cringe at the thought that someone else may take attention away from your fashion statement?

Discuss.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Although I don't have a hat yet, I saw two fedora-wearers the other day that got on my bus. I just commented "nice hat!" to both of them. No response at all from the first one (black hat and overcoat), second one (forest green fedora and overcoat) acted kind of shy about the compliment.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I always at least smile and nod. If someone makes a nice comment about my hat I always give an enthusiastic "Thank you"! I've gotten a few "right back at you" comments from hat wearers as well.

kiltie

Practically Family
or "c"...

There may be reciprocal admiring glaces, but I like to pretend it's what everyone should be doing anyway ( wearing hats, I mean...) - unless it's a particularly cool hat; then I tell him he's an idiot, that he looks like a clown or (ack!) Indiana Jones. Then he runs away crying, hopefully ditching the thing in a nearby trash can, then I go fish it out.

Brinybay

Practically Family
KY Gentleman said:
I always at least smile and nod. If someone makes a nice comment about my hat I always give an enthusiastic "Thank you"! I've gotten a few "right back at you" comments from hat wearers as well.

May have been the situation. I drive the bus, so I'm used to customers ignoring me, even though I acknowledge them as they get on/off (that's actually a security procedure). But I digress.

Brinybay

Practically Family
kiltie said:
There may be reciprocal admiring glaces, but I like to pretend it's what everyone should be doing anyway ( wearing hats, I mean...) - unless it's a particularly cool hat; then I tell him he's an idiot, that he looks like a clown or (ack!) Indiana Jones. Then he runs away crying, hopefully ditching the thing in a nearby trash can, then I go fish it out.

hehehe... What a stinker! I think I like you already... lol lol

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
(d)

I check him out and see whether
(i) he's actually got it going on as a statement of personal style,
(ii) he's obviously wearing it for reasons of religion or advanced age, or
(iii) he's just a geek.

I recently attended a saxophone seminar and passed by a gent who might have scored my personal trifecta: he was wearing both a fine felt fedora and an A-2 jacket and toting a saxophone. However, he carried himself like an absolute, graceless shlub, as if he had nothing to bring to life besides his accoutrements and obsessions. Fearing a tiresome motormouth shpiel if I gave him any attention, I passed him by without a word.

Spellflower

Practically Family
I generally try to check out the hat surreptitiously, to tell if it's a really nice one, or, more commonly, a wool felt or a cardboardy modern hat. Otherwise, I just act cool, unless he notices me and makes eye contact, in which case I'll give a nod.

I respond to compliments with polite and understated gratitude, and, when appropriate, by reciprocating.

I do not respond to "Hey Indy" comments at all, when I can help it. When I can't, I look confused, as though the person talking to me must have mistaken me for some old friend of theirs, and is too drunk to realize that I'm someone else. "Perhaps," I think, "he has some old friend, who, like me, and thousands of other guys, wears a brown fedora. Poor guy, I hope he gets home okay."

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
I rejoice in seeing a fellow hatwearer but do not make a big deal out of it. It is the non-hatwearers who should be getting the looks--not us! Ladies in hats look fantastic--they are not just for Easter! Don't wait for a wedding to look great, gals!

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

I see a fellow hat-wearer in a crowd, I always wait until I catch his eye. Then I pause to see if he recognizes the significance of the apparel on our respective heads. If he does -- if I see the ghost of a smile on his face, for example -- I always take my index finger and push up the brim of my fedora. It's a subtle gesture, one that is rarely lost on a fellow lid man.

Flieger

Practically Family
When you see a fellow hatwearer...

... I take him to the pub and buy him a pint... because then it's my brother in his Akubra Plainsman. lol Sorry, in this town us two are about the only ones who wear "real" hats.

/F

NonEntity

Suspended
Spellflower)I do not respond to "Hey Indy" comments at all said:
I like that response. Another option for "Hey Indy" drones: Say, "You want Indiana Jones? I'll give you Indiana Jones." Then pull out your bullwhip and crack it across their face six tmes. In keeping with the balance principle, proceed to whip out your Colt .45 revolver and empty it into their chest. Tip your "Indy" hat and be on your way.

Sorry, I would not actually do that. I just needed to vent after being called "Indy" by no less than two idiot strangers today. When the new movie is released, I fear things will get even worse.

When I see someone wearing a hat similar to one that I have on, like a nice fedora, I use a thumbs-up gesture to push up my brim slightly and subtly nod It's a we're-in-this-together sort of thing, like when two guys driving their old Corvettes see each other and raise an index finger at the top of the steering wheel.

Donato

One of the Regulars
A - Definitely. In fact, just this evening I saw a man wearing a brown fedora while shopping and I made a point of checking out his lid. I noticed from the corner of my eye that he did the same as I passed by him wearing my Stetson Sutley.

Well, whenever I've passed someone wearing a fedora (say on campus - very rare, I've seen two, if I recall correctly), I haven't been wearing my own hat at the time!

However, I was out walking back from dinner with some friends last time it was cold out (screwy weather), and thus had on my bowler.

Now, in the most unlikely of places (ever, trust me) I walk past a guy I see in a cafe-thing (more like a 24hr greasy fry-up) who is wearing a grey top hat!? Now, it was probably just a cheap feltex party favour, but still...

Well, from one ridiculous hat wearer to another, I could only tip my hat to him, he promptly did the same.

Walk On sir, walk on... :p

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Alon said:
[I couldn't figure out how to create a poll but it doesn't really matter as I've only thought of two options.]

When you spot a fellow fedora wearer in a crowd, do you:

(A) take pride in and enjoy seeing a like-minded spirit?

or

(B) cringe at the thought that someone else may take attention away from your fashion statement?

Discuss.

A and I begin to exchange notes

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
A!
Smile and/or nod, and wonder if they're a member here. Then wish more men would wear them.

Silent, how funny you said you weren't wearing your lid when you passed another... bummer... isn't that just always the way!
Nikki

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Being around a college campus, I actually see others wearing fedoras a little more often than I would think average. Strangely enough however, I have also noticed that none of the fedora-wearing-students around campus seem to acknowledge each other. Also, the majority of the fedoras I've seen around campus appear to be more modern, cheaper specimens. They probably think my style of fedoras to be too old fashioned; much in the same way I view theirs to be too out of touch with the classic look.

I have been known to comment on a passerby's hat, though it doesn't seem to happen too often.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
"Nice hat"

If it's any sort of stylish or proper lid, I tell him (or less frequently, her) "nice hat," accompanied by a tip o' the brim. I believe it is appreciated and furthers our sartorial mission of championing the wearing of fine hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran