Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: Where do Fedora Loungers live?

What country are Loungers from?

• Africa

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Asia

• Australia

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Europe (Western)

Votes: 12 8.2%
  • Europe (Eastern)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zealand

• South America

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • UK

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • USA

Votes: 97 66.0%
  • Canada

Votes: 6 4.1%

• Total voters

ClassicMan1966

New in Town
I live right here in Fayetteville, NC.

Swinggal commented there are 20 Australians on the board. I'm a bit surprise that so many Australians have a interest in the time period of the 1930's and 1940's.

James71

A-List Customer
My wife is an american who likes ren faires.

:D

Im a bit surprised that with 15K members only 91 appear to be active at this given time, or many arent bothered voting.... or only log in occasionally..... or arent registered........or are just lurkers.........

ok dont mind me. I ramble at times......

Mav

A-List Customer
miss_elise said:
^^^ i think it's a bit like saying "i'm surprised there are so many americans that are interested in medieval and renaissance faires"
I dunno; it always surprises me.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
ClassicMan1966 said:
Swinggal commented there are 20 Australians on the board. I'm a bit surprise that so many Australians have a interest in the time period of the 1930's and 1940's.

Australia? Hey, isn't that in Europe with mountains and stuff?

ClassicMan1966

New in Town
swinggal said:

Australia seems like a frontier-style country with a Western flavor. When I think of the 1930's-1940's, I think of Europe and World War II along with the gangster era of Chicago during that time.

Didn't mean to short change the Australian members on the board, Miss Swing.

swinggal

One Too Many
That's ok. Sydney is a lot like parts of NYC and Melbourne is a very European city. Our big cities are very cosmopolitan and full of Art Deco and Federation history. We were also very much involved in WW1 and 2. American troops spent a lot of time here in WW2. Both world wars had a big impact on our culture and way of life as we lost so many men compared to our population size at the time.

That 'Western' frontier thing we may have had way back in the late 1800s, bit not now or for a long time. Movies like 'Australia' are joke. 'Pacific' had a whole episode about the Marines being on leave in Melbourne in the 40s and it was all filmed there too - so you get to see a bit of what life was like in Australia back then. Not much different to any other western country.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I think Swinggal is right ClassicMan1966, movies have probably led to those ideas of Oz being like the wild west and frontier like.

Here's Sydney in the 1930s:

stjames1.jpg

And 1930s Melbourne:

mn003076_w371.jpg

I blame Hoges, it's all his bloody fault!

im_crocodile_dundee_07.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Films like Mad Max don't help the image either, regardless of how pitifully stupid that sounds. In fact, sometimes for fun (having never visited Oz), I picture Australia as a burnt out desert full of crazy men dressed in spiked football gear, running massive pig farms and motorcycle gangs. lol

Which by the by, I absolutely loved all 3 Mad Max films...just in case you're wondering. [huh]

Haha, but no, really, I would love to visit Australia. I went to high school with a girl from Sydney. She told me how nice it is over there - and then she left me in blasted Iowa and returned to Sydney. I envy her. :rolleyes:

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Undertow said:
Films like Mad Max don't help the image either, regardless of how pitifully stupid that sounds. In fact, sometimes for fun (having never visited Oz), I picture Australia as a burnt out desert full of crazy men dressed in spiked football gear, running massive pig farms and motorcycle gangs. lol

Which by the by, I absolutely loved all 3 Mad Max films...just in case you're wondering. [huh]

Haha, but no, really, I would love to visit Australia. I went to high school with a girl from Sydney. She told me how nice it is over there - and then she left me in blasted Iowa and returned to Sydney. I envy her. :rolleyes:

Oh well that bit is true!

But I have to keep telling people over here, it's really not like in Home & Away. It actually rains alot in Sydney!

csmiller

New in Town
Home

Hi all,

I live just outside of Binghamton, New York. The land of Carousels, the former IBM, the former Endicott Johnson shoe factories and hometown of the late great Rod Serling.

Grew up in Horseheads, New York. Anyone ever heard of it before?? :)

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran