Porter beer?

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by knockahoma, Feb 7, 2013.

1. knockahoma

knockahoma New in Town

I had a London Porter at a restaurant last weekend. None of the stores around here carry it. Do you guys know of a good porter beer besides that one?. Thanks

Knock

2. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Which brand of porter did you have? Porter is a style of beer, not a brand. There are porters from England, and locally brewed as well. Louisiana is your home, I gather? There is Fuller's London Porter, imported from England which I enjoy often from the store and occasionally at a pub (I'm in south west Ontario, Canada). Is that what you had?

3. knockahoma

knockahoma New in Town

If I remember correctly it was a London porter. Maybe a Murphy's but I don't think that is right.

MisterCairo likes this.
  4. coloradorider

coloradorider One of the Regulars

London Porter is made by Fuller's and is one of my favorite Porters. It's rated 100 at ratebeer.com so there are a lot of people in the world who agree it's fantastic. Try this list to start your search - http://www.ratebeer.com/beerstyles/porter/5/

5. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

It is excellent as a porter and one of my favourite beers overall. There are also some excellent locally brewed porters in southern Ontario. Hopefully everyone can find a good local brew as well!

6. Ones i like
    Deschutes
    Anchor Steam
    Sierra Nevada

Carnegie Porter.

7. Vincent Parry

Vincent Parry New in Town

I have always loved the Swedish Carnegie Porter :)

8. Zaxxon

Zaxxon New in Town

Muntons sells Porter beer kits for home brewers.
    I like that one very much.

Regards,
    Zaxxon

9. xXClockwork

xXClockwork New in Town

Sierra Nevada
    Samuel Smith

I want to try Founders Porter.

10. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Monteith's Barrel Aged Porter from NZ. It's aged in American Oak pinot noir barrels which really sets off the malty porter taste beautifully.

If you can find some, buy it ;)

11. rumblefish

rumblefish One Too Many

Founders Porter is fantastic. It happens to be on tap at one of my distributors this week. I'll be getting a growler full this friday!

12. xXClockwork

xXClockwork New in Town

Their website says that Founders just became available in Texas on April 8th. I will have to go pick some up. I've heard good things. They're a little behind on the craft brew movement here. I'm hoping more beers will become available here in the near future.

13. Asienizen

Asienizen One of the Regulars

I really miss getting good dark beers, living in St Paul had these in spades. I think Founders is quite good, cheaper and a bit sharper was the Summit Porter. All I get these days is cheap lager - man I miss the porters.

14. wildturkey8

wildturkey8 Familiar Face

Deschuttes Black Butte Porter
    Smuttynose Robust Porter
    Boulevard Bully Porter

My favorite: Sam Adams Honey Porter

15. ManofKent

ManofKent My Mail is Forwarded Here

Meantime of Greenwich do a nice one - no idea whether they export to the US...
    Shepherd Neame (10 minutes walk from me) do a decent one, though getting it on draft even in winter is tricky.

16. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

If you can track it down, Black Isle Porter from Scotland is luvverly. It's brewed in a microbrewery at the end of a farm track road in the Highlands.

17. anon`

anon` One Too Many

FIFY.

Also, one of the best porters, ever. Love the Reserve anniversary series, too.

18. mflemming

mflemming One of the Regulars

+1 on the Founders. Draft Fuller's is my first choice, but bottled Founders is not bad at all.

19. sw709

sw709 Familiar Face

Also, if you can find it, there's Mikkeler's chipotle porter. It's really spicy, bold & intriguing...like any good porter should be!

20. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

Propeller brewery in Halifax, Nova Scotia makes an excellent porter if you can find it. They just expanded their brewery drastically, so hopefully they'll start exporting more widely.