Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This 'bowler' showed up today:

AlanC said:
I just pulled the trigger on this Resistol bowler. As usual, anyone have any help with dating?

a0ce_1.JPG

However, it turned out to be an open crown homburg instead (Sorry for the bad pic. The black forced me to use a flash.) It needs a good brushing badly, but I cannot seem to find my hat brush anywhere. If you saw my office you'd know why. It's also a slight bit tight so I'll throw it on the stretcher after I moisturize the sweatband more.

p1012375bu0.jpg

The interior:

p1012371ud0.jpg

p1012366xa6.jpg

p1012368np8.jpg

The black sweatband and relatively small brim (~1.75") makes me think it likely dates from the 1960s. Any thoughts on that potential dating?

Other than the surprise at it being a homburg, I'm actually pleased it is. A black homburg was something I've wanted to fill a semi-formal niche for both daytime stroller and evening dinner jacket. Now, I wear neither often, so while I would prefer something with a bigger brim, this will take care of any 'need' I have for such an item. I also have a gray homburg on its way that I think will get more use than this black one. I tend not to like black, but it's more proper with semi-formal wear, particularly evening semi-formal.

Of course, now I feel like I need a bowler... :eek:

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Alan, Like you, I would have been absolutely certain it was a bowler; based entirely on the way the liner looks. However, as you said, you did get a more versatile hat. I have a Resistol Homburg from this era, and I can't fault the quality, at all. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Stoney

Practically Family
ScionPI2005 said:
Hey all,
I just got two new summer hats; a Borsalino cap and a NY Hat Company Panama. Thought I'd post pictures here to show.

I'm mainly looking for feedback on the cap. I've been told that tan caps don't look as good on me as darker colored ones due to me being blond haired and blue eyed. I'm wearing a light shirt in the pictures, so maybe it works. Also, I'm questioning whether the cap is a little too small. The front seems to come up a bit, though maybe its just the style. Comments would be appreciated!

The Borsalino Cap:
Borsalino_cap_1.jpg

NY Hat Company Panama:
NY_panama_1.jpg

I think the cap looks great on you. Whomever informed you that a tan cap would not work due to your hair/eye color and fair skin...Yazzzoo They don't know what they are talking about at all. Wear that dude and grin while you're at it.

Stoney

Practically Family
Mr Lucky's Panama

Lucky,

I think I would leave the cleaning to a pro on that one. It needs to be fume bleached and trying to do that at home is not a good idea. Try checking with Art and Graham. I'm pretty sure they can both handle the job and return the hat to you in great condition.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Stoney said:
Lucky,

I think I would leave the cleaning to a pro on that one. It needs to be fume bleached and trying to do that at home is not a good idea. Try checking with Art and Graham. I'm pretty sure they can both handle the job and return the hat to you in great condition.
Thanks for the heads-up! So shall I do.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got this at an antique/ consignment store in Halifax, Nova Scotia for eighteen bucks. It's a borsalino, probably the earliest I own. The sweatband ribbon is functional. It is unlined and lightweight, sold in Canada originally. Perfect 7-1/4.
The hat has a high crown, though it is bashed low. The brim is flanged differently than later hats. It is much flatter, and doesn't really snap down, so much as swoop. The ribbon is fine, and reacts differently in sunlight than later ribbons. While later ones I have are dull in sunlight, this one refracts sunlight a bit. I can not find a single fault with its condition.

IMG_6068.jpg

IMG_6066.jpg

IMG_6069.jpg

IMG_6065.jpg

(It's the one on the right- the one on the left is the stetson I brought along on the trip)

IMG_6346.jpg

me wearing it- up in Maine.

IMG_6488.jpg
IMG_6490.jpg

IMG_6494.jpg
IMG_6493.jpg

IMG_6489.jpg

bolthead

Wow......DM

Dinerman said:
I got this at an antique/ consignment store in Halifax, Nova Scotia for eighteen bucks. It's a borsalino, probably the earliest I own. The sweatband ribbon is functional. It is unlined and lightweight, sold in Canada originally. Perfect 7-1/4.
The hat has a high crown, though it is bashed low. The brim is flanged differently than later hats. It is much flatter, and doesn't really snap down the same way. The ribbon is fine, and reacts differently in sunlight than later ribbons. While later ones I have are dull in sunlight, this one refracts sunlight a bit. I can not find a single fault with its condition.

IMG_6068.jpg

IMG_6066.jpg

IMG_6069.jpg

IMG_6065.jpg

(It's the one on the right- the one on the left is the stetson I brought along on the trip)

IMG_6346.jpg

me wearing it- up in Maine.
$18.....you thief. :D It's a beautie for sure.....and it sure does look fantastic sitting next to that wonderful Stetson you brought along. :eusa_clap

AlanC

Dinerman strikes again!

Good grief, DM! Now you've become an international hat scavenger of mystery.

I love how the sweat is threaded in, and seeing how it's tied off I finally understand why the little bows are sewn onto hat sweatbands. It's a vestigial relic of that type of construction.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman, That has to be the most interesting and unique hat I've seen in a long time! The adjustable sweatband is amazing. Any idea what the range of adjustment is? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:

Wow. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I'm going to have to remember that sweatband ribbon--might be something to try when I have to replace a sweatband.

Congratulations on another incredible find, Dinerman, and thanks for sharing it with us! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

Dinerman said:
The hat has a high crown, though it is bashed low. The brim is flanged differently than later hats. It is much flatter, and doesn't really snap down, so much as swoop. The ribbon is fine, and reacts differently in sunlight than later ribbons. While later ones I have are dull in sunlight, this one refracts sunlight a bit. I can not find a single fault with its condition.

So you go up north and rob those nice people, eh?

I take it it's a raw edge? No stitching or anything?

It's a great old hat, man. Simple, straightforward, elegant. Gotta love it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
So you go up north and rob those nice people, eh?

I take it it's a raw edge? No stitching or anything?

It's a great old hat, man. Simple, straightforward, elegant. Gotta love it.

Yep- raw edge. I love the styling on these early hats, with the wide ribbon center tie that flares out in a ( ) shape instead of l l

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner