Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
UWS Cowboy said:
Shubert 20x beaver homburg. I'm keeping it as it is, don't worry. ;) What do you think? and I assume it's great quality if it's 20x, am I correct?
IMG_4156.jpg

If you pet it, and YOU feel like purring, it's a great hat! :D

carter

I'll Lock Up
UWS Cowboy said:
Shubert 20x beaver homburg. I'm keeping it as it is, don't worry. ;) What do you think? and I assume it's great quality if it's 20x, am I correct?
IMG_4156.jpg

IMG_4164.jpg
UWSCowboy, That is actually a good look for you. It looks like it may be a slight bit wide on the sides. Are you a long oval? It looks like a nice hat from here.

I have to ask, Does UWS stand for Upper West Side?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
UWS Cowboy said:
You do pull off the homburg look.

While it's true that the X rating system is often mere
marketing flim flam, it means more the older your hat
might be. We haven't seen detail pictures of anything
but the lining logo, but based on the graphic, the typeface
used, and the plastic, I'd have to guess it's a 1950s hat.
There's a good chance a 20X hat in the 1950s was a $20 hat.
That was an expensive hat in its day, so it was probably
pretty good.

bolthead

Nice Homburg Cowboy.....

My Tom & Jerry came today....

I've been wanting one of these for a long time, but it's hard to find a nice wider brim Knox T & J in my size believe it or not. As you may or may not see from the pics, it's a 7 1/8 and a bit loose, so I had to stuff the liner a little. [huh]

I was hoping to find a wider brim like I said, but I'm still thrilled with it, especially for what I got it for. :D

KnoxTomJerry003.jpg
KnoxTomJerry004.jpg

The flash mottled the color some. It's much darker and it has an olive tint too it. I love the ribbon treatment, with the pinstripes going through it, and the one way Bow.

KnoxTomJerry002.jpg
KnoxTomJerry005.jpg
KnoxTomJerry006.jpg

The seam in the back of the sweat is separating a bit, but that's an easy fix.

Anyone know how old it might be?

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
carter said:
UWSCowboy, That is actually a good look for you. It looks like it may be a slight bit wide on the sides. Are you a long oval? It looks like a nice hat from here.

I have to ask, Does UWS stand for Upper West Side?
Yes on both, UWS meaning the upper west side and I am a long oval. This hat is 7 5/8 long oval and I'd say it's obviously shrunk a bit over the years because generally I fit into 7 1/2 long oval up to this size pretty comfortably depending on if the hat has shrunk or not. This one has some space on the sides but fits perfect from the front to back. Maybe a 7 1/2 extra long oval would fit better. [huh]

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
You do pull off the homburg look.

While it's true that the X rating system is often mere
marketing flim flam, it means more the older your hat
might be. We haven't seen detail pictures of anything
but the lining logo, but based on the graphic, the typeface
used, and the plastic, I'd have to guess it's a 1950s hat.
There's a good chance a 20X hat in the 1950s was a $20 hat.
That was an expensive hat in its day, so it was probably
pretty good.

I checked on the inside of the hat and the price tag says '20.00' so you are exactly right about that. Also another interesting thing is that the hat has a Knox sweatband.
Here are a couple close ups. I like the double ribbon.
IMG_4168.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

Wil Tam

Practically Family
UWS Cowboy said:
I checked on the inside of the hat and the price tag says '20.00' so you are exactly right about that. Also another interesting thing is that the hat has a Knox sweatband.

Do you think that it may be a Knox that has a Shubert lining....? [huh]

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
UWS Cowboy said:
Here are a couple close ups. I like the double ribbon.
IMG_4168.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

Cowboy, You pull off the Homburg look quite well. But, looking at that hat from this angle, I'd say you actually have a fedora. (Homburgs usually have a wider edge binding and a more pronounced pencil curl.) The brim should snap down quite easilly, then back up when you so desire. The crown is also probably quite pliable, and can be changed into several different creases, even during the same day. The nice thing about a hat like that is, you have several looks in one hat! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Wil Tam said:
Do you think that it may be a Knox that has a Shubert lining....? [huh]
You never know [huh]. Didn't even think of that but sounds like it could be.
J.T.Marcus said:
Cowboy, You pull off the Homburg look quite well. But, looking at that hat from this angle, I'd say you actually have a fedora. (Homburgs usually have a wider edge binding and a more pronounced pencil curl.) The brim should snap down quite easilly, then back up when you so desire. The crown is also probably quite pliable, and can be changed into several different creases, even during the same day. The nice thing about a hat like that is, you have several looks in one hat! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Ah, I had actually been wondering about the thin binding... Thanks! I flipped down the front.
n668841031_1646132_2065556-1.jpg

Mr. Paladin

Lots of great new hats out here today and yesterday!

jec, michaelshane, and Garrett--looks like some good vintage buys.

Bolt--thats a really nice Tom & Jerry and that ribbon is spectacular!

UWS--looking good with your friends; like the homburdora! Looks better on you snapped up, I think.

rlk--couple of nice ones there. The PB looks good for you.

Mr. Paladin

RickH said:
After reading about mods I thought I'd give it a try - after all, if it turned out ok I would actually WEAR it. My Grandfather would be horrified, but I still think I honour him by keeping it and putting it to good use.

I've worn it a number of times now, and I really like it.

cjaetu

RickH, that looks like a good effort. I have thought of trying that on an old moth-eaten Resistol I have but I thought the side dents would be so set after thirty years with the heavy western felt that I would never get the shadows out. Looks like you did pretty well with that. A re-block might smooth it out completely. Nice styling on the conversion.

RickH

New in Town
Dents

Mr. Paladin said:
I have thought of trying that on an old moth-eaten Resistol I have but I thought the side dents would be so set after thirty years with the heavy western felt that I would never get the shadows out.

Thanks, Paladin. Actually, you can see the vestiges of the side dents better in the picture than in "real life". I'd go for it if I were you!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
New Italians

3349747282_3fcc5014f1_b.jpg

3349747018_3da40dd716.jpg

3349747572_858c376d92_b.jpg

New Old Stock original Factory Panizza Ediston Flaman Hare. This has to be the world's softest hat. It is fussy about which way you brush.

3349746194_7125842e38_b.jpg

3348917617_b9b4b758e9_b.jpg

Another Panizza Ediston Shaven Hare

3349745640_1a1d63cb29_b.jpg

3349745170_77e038bb6f_b.jpg

3348916785_f3b7e7d2cd_b.jpg

New Old Stock original Factory Barbisio Satin Hare Light Gray with Dk Brown Ribbon.

3348915067_6cfe477f6e_b.jpg

3348915437_b6737c7674_b.jpg

Modern Panizza Bon Voyage from relicensed company with carrying sack for travel. This is lightly used via ebay France.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner