Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
DOUGLAS said:
Not the oldest one I have but it has all the qualities. Increadably soft even resting on one finger will remove the crease from inside. As far as I can tell it has not been used before.
7-1/8 LO
Crown 5-1/2"
Brim 2-1/2"
interesting brown cotton like ribbon

Nice looking hat Douglas. Funny about the ribbon as I found a couple of partial rolls in my stuff this week that have vertical ribs rather than the weave effect of yours. Maybe I should try using it with a featherweight also. :rolleyes:

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Art Fawcett said:
Nice looking hat Douglas. Funny about the ribbon as I found a couple of partial rolls in my stuff this week that have vertical ribs rather than the weave effect of yours. Maybe I should try using it with a featherweight also. :rolleyes:

Most definitely Art. I think this type of ribbon would go really well with your light weight hats. Special order perhaps if you don't have a lot of it. Do you think it is cotton or some blend?

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
So I recently picked up this Knox from the bay and I finally took a couple of pictures of it. When I bid on it my intentions were to turn it into a porkpie. But after receiving it I didn't want to do that any longer. This is the first hat that I have acquired that just fit out of the box as it were. And it felt too sophisticated to turn into a porkpie. Right now I'm trying to decide whether to leave it with just a center crease aka homburg like or ad a pinch and maybe a crown bash.....decisions, decisions....thoughts?

P4250006.jpg
P4250010.jpg
P4250007.jpg
P4250008.jpg
P4250009.jpg
P4250007i2.jpg

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
DOUGLAS said:
Most definitely Art. I think this type of ribbon would go really well with your light weight hats. Special order perhaps if you don't have a lot of it. Do you think it is cotton or some blend?

I actually have about 1 1/2 rolls ( 50 yds maybe?) and just tried to swirl it. Beautiful!! I'm guessing its a blend but still has a high rayon content based on it's ironing properties. I'll try to get some pics up for you.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Jabos said:
Thanks to Razzman for selling this Johnnyphi Adam. He never wore it because it was a bit too big. I got "into" all this after the bulk of the Johnnyphi hats were gone, so this was my lucky break to snag a 7 3/8 when I had the chance. Heaven, I'm in heaven. . .
007-1.jpg
Looks great, Jabos. I got a Johnnyphi Adam just like it in 7 1/2, and while I'm a 7 3/8, the padding seems to do the job. It's a great hat--you'll love it.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Mr. Paladin said:
I was in Garland on some business Monday and couldn't resist a quick swing by HATCO. When carter and I went there a couple weeks ago, I saw a prototype hat there called the Colony; open crown, 2 1/2" bound brim, bark colored; and I passed it up for the black Open Road. I had regretted it since and went by to see if it was still there. What luck; it was! It was in perfect shape and so I grabbed it. Also, because I have no control in there, I bought a beautiful mink colored Chatham with a 2 3/4" brim.
Love the brim on that Colony, Mr. P--congratulations. And I have that very Chatham, one of my first hats. The felt is very luxurious, not at all like a vintage lid, but quite nice in itself. Looks like Monday was a good day!

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
New Silverbelly Campdraft

Ok, after a long wait (not as long as Hats Direct feared, but I've been anticipating the arrival date), I finally received my Campdraft early last week. Beautiful shade of tan/beige with very little silver/gray tone in it, which is ok by me. The felt bashed beautifully--soft and easy to work with; I haven't had to do much with it since the initial dry bash, beyond a bit of steam to convince the front pinch to stay. I love this lid...it may be even better than my Fed. And unlike others' reports, the ribbon has been trimmed perfectly.
P1010007_4.jpg

P1010006_5.jpg

P1010005_5.jpg

P1010003_3.jpg

P1010004_4.jpg

That profile pic of me doesn't really illustrate the drop in the crown from 4 1/2" front to 3 1/2" rear.

Now, despite that perfect thin ribbon, I tend to think I don't pull the ribbon off well. I tend to prefer the wider ribbons...so I'm considering adding a 1 1/2" medium brown (milk chocolate?) grosgrain ribbon...this is just me holding up the ribbon for the effect.
P1010002_5.jpg

While clearly blasphemy to the Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon, what do you think? Go for the swap or be content with a great Campdraft as is? In any case, I'm really loving this hat.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Dundee

A-List Customer
Resistol conversions

Indycop, that hat looks like a clone of the hat I had Major Moore do form me. Best of luck in your conversion.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Jazz, that hat looks great on you! Good dimensions for your head/face. I prefer the wider ribbon, but thats just me.

B

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
I love this, but I think I'd love it even more with a chocolate brown double bow by the Optimo girls. :eusa_clap

That is a nice-looking hat Viper - glad those straws are working out for you, and that I resisted the urge to put in a snipe :)

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
That hat looks pretty darn good the way it is. I've a couple Stetson Saxons with a center crease. I toyed with a different bash but decided that sometimes change is just different and not an improvement. My old Dobbs were turned into C crowns with a pinch so I would have done it just for a slightly different shade of gray on a very similar hat.

Belegnole said:
So I recently picked up this Knox from the bay and I finally took a couple of pictures of it. When I bid on it my intentions were to turn it into a porkpie. But after receiving it I didn't want to do that any longer. This is the first hat that I have acquired that just fit out of the box as it were. And it felt too sophisticated to turn into a porkpie. Right now I'm trying to decide whether to leave it with just a center crease aka homburg like or ad a pinch and maybe a crown bash.....decisions, decisions....thoughts?
P4250010.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
jazzncocktails said:
While clearly blasphemy to the Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon, what do you think? Go for the swap or be content with a great Campdraft as is? In any case, I'm really loving this hat.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

There's nothing wrong with the thin ribbon, but I think the color and width of the alternate really works nicely. I vote for the switch.

Mr. Paladin

jazzncocktails said:
Love the brim on that Colony, Mr. P--congratulations. And I have that very Chatham, one of my first hats. The felt is very luxurious, not at all like a vintage lid, but quite nice in itself. Looks like Monday was a good day!

I am really pleased with the Colony and it is more vintage styled that the Chatham, but you are right about the Chatham and the felt; it is really quite nice and the felt is soft and supple around the brim where I have worked with it in particular. If I had the styling of the Colony's crown and brim binding with the color and wide brim of the Chatham, I think that would be just about perfect.

I really do like Stetson hats and have been pleased to see the company being a bit more attentive to customer response with some of the new production models coming out soon. The HATCO Outlet manager told me that sales of their dress hats were up despite price increases on some of the lines and as sales rise, good business pays attention!

Mr. Paladin

I like the Camp Draft very much and you are right; your ribbon came just right. The wide ribbon looks good with it too though. I would go with my preference and see where it took me.....:eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

chanteuseCarey said:
Good thing HATCO ain't close to where we are- sounds dangerous...

It can be but then again, the hunt's the thing. Its kinda the e-Bay for moderns and westerns, only you get to touch them and try 'em on!

Mr. Paladin

indycop said:
Got this Resistol Western from the bay. It is going off to MajorMoore to be changed to a Gus or diamond western or maybe a fedora.

GEDC0650-1.jpg

After seeing what he has done with the other westerns he has converted, I am really impressed with Major Moore's work. What he did with Carlisle's conversion and with Dundee's, was great. I like the idea of a stiff, thicker, western-style felt fedora. Peter's Bros. near here in Ft. Worth has a really stiff fedora called the bullet-proof fedora--but now that I think of it don't you have one of those? Good luck on the conversion!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy