Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Grey Knox Superfine

Thanks to Robfedorafield I acquired this grey Knox. It is in great near to NOS shape.

3476766155_945af29b44.jpg

3477573218_33a82b8985.jpg

3477572792_b724eaae06.jpg

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Campdraft Conversion

Thanks for the great comments, all. As Mr. Paladin and Not-Bogart13 indicate, that thin ribbon on the Campdraft is a beauty. But I'm more a wide ribbon guy, so I thought I'd attempt a ribbon switch.

Happily, Hats Direct includes this very helpful link when it e-mails customers about hats being mailed:

http://www.hatsdirect.com/hat-info/ribbon.html

I relied on it, and the link to the website by Steve listed, to build my new ribbon.

I didn't remove the thin ribbon; it's still there and ready for use again when I want to return to it...
P1010004_4.jpg

But this weekend I tried building my own ribbon and bow on the Silverbelly Campdraft, and the results are below:

P1010002_6.jpg

P1010003_5.jpg

P1010006_6.jpg

For my first hat ribbon/bow outing, not perfect, but not too shabby. I impressed myself with my newfound ability to sew tacking stitches on each corner of the bow to the ribbon (problem was, I only thought of this once the ribbon was perfectly fitted to the hat, so I didn't want to take it off again). After 47 years I discover this new talent with needle and thread? Lots of back and forth with the ribbon itself...put it on and took it off 3 times until it fit just right. I haven't tacked the new ribbon to the felt itself; when I dampened the ribbon, it dried snug to the lid, so it didn't seem to need to be tacked down, which means I can remove it any time and reveal the thin ribbon below.

So, there's a Campdraft ribbon conversion. Let me know what you think.
Steve

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Wow Steve. That Campdraft looks great with your ribbon work. You may start a trend. The Campdraft looks like a good starting point to create some real special lids.:eusa_clap

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Paladin said:
After seeing what he has done with the other westerns he has converted, I am really impressed with Major Moore's work. What he did with Carlisle's conversion and with Dundee's, was great. I like the idea of a stiff, thicker, western-style felt fedora. Peter's Bros. near here in Ft. Worth has a really stiff fedora called the bullet-proof fedora--but now that I think of it don't you have one of those? Good luck on the conversion!
Yep I have one and wore it today.:D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jazzncocktails said:
I didn't remove the thin ribbon; it's still there and ready for use again when I want to return to it...
P1010004_4.jpg

But this weekend I tried building my own ribbon and bow on the Silverbelly Campdraft, and the results are below:

P1010006_6.jpg

Steve
You can't go wrong with a campdraft!:eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jazzncocktails said:
For my first hat ribbon/bow outing, not perfect, but not too shabby.

Steve

Personally, I think it's an amazing effort - seeing your results has certainly given me the confidence to take a shot at it.

But the main thing is you improved the look of the hat IMO - really good eye for the ribbon, bow and color.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jazzncocktails said:
P1010002_6.jpg

Steve

Steve, that is one sharp-looking ribbon! Great width, perfect color, and it looks like it was done at the factory. Well Done!

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
gtdean48 said:
A WOLF in SHEEP'S clothing!!!!!!![bad] :( :cry: :eek: *yucky* ;)
(I actually like yours better than those pugaree things!)

Yes, but it's still a wolf, right? :D

Thanks, everyone, for your comments on the Campdraft ribbon exchange. Wore it today dressed up a bit more than my weekend casual, so here's my final pic:
P1010001_3.jpg

Now I'd like to see if anyone else can have some fun with those great Campdrafts...who's next?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Wow, jazzn...

Very handsome there, sir. Is the jacket silk or linen? Your re-ribboned hat looks beautiful.

jazzncocktails said:
Yes, but it's still a wolf, right? :D

Thanks, everyone, for your comments on the Campdraft ribbon exchange. Wore it today dressed up a bit more than my weekend casual, so here's my final pic:
P1010001_3.jpg

Now I'd like to see if anyone else can have some fun with those great Campdrafts...who's next?

Bingles

A-List Customer
Biltmore Torino

This just arrived today. It's the "Torino" by Biltmore... quickly becoming one of my favorite brands. I always have a hard time finding nice stingy brimmed summer hats, but Biltmore came though.. I really love this one!

torino.jpg

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Bingles said:
This just arrived today. It's the "Torino" by Biltmore... quickly becoming one of my favorite brands. I always have a hard time finding nice stingy brimmed summer hats, but Biltmore came though.. I really love this one!

torino.jpg
Great hat! Where did you get it? I didn't know they made the Torino in a porkpie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy