Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GClark

One of the Regulars
Introduction and my hats...

These are not all “new” hats, but I am new to posting here, so I will show them all off.
I have recently (last couple of years) really been “into” hats – spurred by the discovery of a couple of skin cancers on my forehead, and then as I wore one regularly I found that I just liked the way they looked, so I have been researching and acquiring lately.

First the felt hats:

A “Tucker” by Art Fawcett – I have had this one for a few months, but did not get to wear it enough and now it is back in its box waiting for cooler weather. Can’t wait for the Fall.

TuckerF.jpg

TuckerS.jpg

Beaver Brand “Heritage” Fedora. I really like this one – have had it for a couple of years.
BeaverBrandF.jpg

BeaverBrandS.jpg

A Borsalino Beaver Fedora. This one fits great, and feels good. Had it since the Fall of last year. Definitely a favorite.
BorsalinoF.jpg

BorsalinoS.jpg

A Christys’ Trilby (foldaway). This is my oldest hat – probably 13 years old or so. It sat in my closet for awhile, worn occasionally, but for the last two years, it has served as my travel hat.

ChristysTrilbyF.jpg

ChristysTrilbyS.jpg

A Christys’ Adventurer Fedora. This one is pretty new – it serves as my regular hat for days when it is likely to rain. It has survived several soakings – still going strong. Does not seem to have quite the quality of the older Christys’ Trilby (the leather sweatband in particular is rather low grade), but it is a pretty nice hat just the same.
ChristysAdventF.jpg

ChristysAdventS.jpg

Straw hats - next post

GClark

One of the Regulars
Introduction and hats continued

Now the straw:
An Art Fawcett blocked Panama. Just received it a few days ago – Pretty huh?
ArtFPanamaF.jpg

ArtFPanamaS.jpg

A Montecristi Panama from Panama Hat Works. Just moved down from my “best” Panama – bumped by the Art blocked hat above. Should get more wear on an everyday basis now.
PanamaBobF.jpg

PanamaBobS.jpg

A Panama Hat Works “Indy”. Not sure I really like the color – this is my “transition” hat when the seasons are changing.
IndyPanamaF.jpg

IndyPanamaS.jpg

Orvis Panama. My hiking, beach, and yard work hat – a nice wide brim.
OrvisPanamaF.jpg

OrvisPanamaS.jpg

A Stetson Panama. Was my everyday Panama – it may do more yard work and golf now that the Montecristi from Panama Hat works is seeing more everyday use.
StetsonPanamaF.jpg

StetsonPanamaS.jpg

I thought that it might be interesting to show them all together – thanks for looking.

GClark

One of the Regulars
HarpPlayerGene said:
Beautiful assortment, GClark. And welcome!

I like the boxier, less-tapered crowns among the ones you displayed, but they are all very nice.
Thanks! Nice to find a place where the comments on my hats go beyond "Hey Indy".

I'm learning terminology as I go, so when you say less tapered are you refering mostly to the side view, or to the front and side?

The Tucker is less tapered while the Borsalino is more?

The side view seems to be more about construction where the tapering of the front varies more with how the hat is shaped - the depth of the dents, etc. Is that true? Is more tapering a more modern look? It seems like the vintage hats from photos are "blockier"?

Thanks!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
GClark said:
Thanks! Nice to find a place where the comments on my hats go beyond "Hey Indy".

I'm learning terminology as I go, so when you say less tapered are you refering mostly to the side view, or to the front and side?

The Tucker is less tapered while the Borsalino is more?

The side view seems to be more about construction where the tapering of the front varies more with how the hat is shaped - the depth of the dents, etc. Is that true? Is more tapering a more modern look? It seems like the vintage hats from photos are "blockier"?

Thanks!

Yes, you see it the same way I do. Not a 'right' or 'wrong' thing but yes, the modern Borsalino betrays its age with the less vertical aspect from the front and sides, than is typical with some of the oldies. True, different creases can modify that aspect but generally, most modern fedoras have a little less crown material with which to work. Still, all great hats! Glad you're here!

RBH

Bartender
GClark said:
These are not all “new” hats, but I am new to posting here, so I will show them all off.
I have recently (last couple of years) really been “into” hats – spurred by the discovery of a couple of skin cancers on my forehead, and then as I wore one regularly I found that I just liked the way they looked, so I have been researching and acquiring lately.

First the felt hats:

A “Tucker” by Art Fawcett – I have had this one for a few months, but did not get to wear it enough and now it is back in its box waiting for cooler weather. Can’t wait for the Fall.

TuckerF.jpg

TuckerS.jpg
Welcome to the Lounge... Now thats a great looking hat!

GClark

One of the Regulars
RBH said:
Welcome to the Lounge... Now thats a great looking hat!
Thanks RBH- I should say that I messed with it just a little. You can probably see the difference - slightly more pinch in front and on the top:
Art's website version:
Tucker.jpg
vs my Tucker:

TuckerF.jpg

FINALLY here...

I ordered a Mid-Brown Campdraft from EA back in the first of December & it just arrived. It is the largest of the 3 CD's I have, all 61. This one was blocked to Long Oval but so was my Silver Belly. Here are some shots out of the box & then a dry bash. It'll go back in the box until I have time to crease it. I feel a teardrop in the corner of my eye...:D
cdbrown1.jpg

cdbrown4.jpg

cdbrown3.jpg

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice CD, Tom. My second mid-brown arrived yesterday from EA. I really like the color. In daylight it takes on a more green look.

The first one was too big and had a broken button on the wind string. This one fits like it should and has an intact button.

Bingles

A-List Customer
Leone Cappelli Playboy

This is my newest summer hat -- in what has become my favorite crown -- the pork pie. It is made of Italian milan straw, and has a 1 1/2 inch bound brim, with leather sweat band. I LOVE it. I ordered it from Levine Hat Co., and am using their stock photo which does a better job of showing it off than my lousy camera skills would permit.

leone_cappelli_playboy_MED.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic