Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
For 25-cents I couldn’t leave it in the thrift store. Especially with that store price tag. It seems like pretty nice felt. Must have been for a kid as it was padded with four paper towels and a horse show flyer from 1977.

View attachment 206055

View attachment 206056

View attachment 206050

View attachment 206052

View attachment 206051

View attachment 206054

View attachment 206053
You've got good thrift stores in your neck of the woods. In all of my thrifting, I don't believe I've seen a single hat for under 99 cents, and even .99 would be very rare, probably straw or cloth. The big chain ones, Goodwill, DAV and ARC, are serious about making money for their respective charity. ARC in particular seems to have hired marketing experts. Unless it's a 50% off tag color, or senior Tuesday, it's difficult to find a great deal.
Some of the small thrifts are better, but clothing or accessories for under a buck are hens teeth.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
The Italian hat industry has always participated with special editions in the major sporting events that took place in Italy, occasionally the hats of the 1960 Rome Olympics and other events appear on the market. Barbisio with the Sportex line seems to have made his contribution to the 1956 Olympics in Cortina d'Ampezzo
ba-sportex-1-jpg.206151

We are in the "experimental and innovative" production of Barbisio
ba-sportex-2-jpg.206152

Barbisio "Sportex" size 5 1/2 or 58 cm.
ba-sportex-3-jpg.206161

Felt is a very rough mixture, as stated on the paper label and has the particularity of being moldable at any time.
The color is what you see, a deep green that probably wants to remember the conifers in the Dolomites

There is a very long concentric seam that starts from the crown and goes up to the brims, which have circular seams.
The effect of the whole is somewhat bizarre
ba-sportex-4-jpg.206158

Felt is called "misto ormea" and the finishing "Ruvido"
The finishes are fantastic and there are the Olimpics circles
ba-sportex-interno-jpg.206159

The measures are the following: short brim at 4 cm. high crown opean at 14 cm. and the ribbon is a piece of felt finished with a false button
ba-sportex-5-jpg.206162
I remember someone else sharing a hat stitched that way quite a few months back. It must be done with a machine used for braided straws. At first glance I thought I was looking at a Milan.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
:eek:o_O Hope you are joking, if not look carefully the felt. Pictures have a good details
I did look closely after my first impression that it was a straw. You you don't think that's how they might have sewn it?
Eric posted one stitched that way in WHAYWT. He wore his out in -23 c degree weather and froze his head. I think it's a clever way to vent a summer felt.

I have a large collection of homburg or "diplomatique" as these hats are called in France, the French ones are in majority, perhaps matched by Borsalino
And they are also my favorite ones. There are various reasons for my choice, but discussing them here is misleading
View attachment 206453
I have examples of the best known brands: Mossant, Tirard, Flechet and also of lesser known brands: J&B, Thibet, Ecuyer & Thomas, but none represented for Morreton
View attachment 206454
Morreton "Elysèe" size is 60 cm. and it fit perfectly
View attachment 206455
Fantastic black light weight felt with a velvety finish, malleable as you like
View attachment 206456
Sold in one of the fashion streets of Paris, it is also of excellent quality, according to the denomination "Elysée"
View attachment 206457
View attachment 206458
The measures are as follows. brim at six centimeters, the open crown is 14 cm. and the ribbon that matches the felt color is 4 cm.
View attachment 206459
I really like its shape with the pinches and the profile you get
View attachment 206460
Finally I completed my survey on the French "Diplomatique"
Two excellent finds, Daniele.

DanO

One of the Regulars
Was looking at the Hattery and saw they had free shipping so I pulled the trigger on a Fed lV Deluxe in Heritage Fawn, liked it so much when it came yesterday I ordered the same in Black (goes with everything). Then today my Off Rack Silvermist VS came, Thanks Art. That's 4 VS now, leaving on a short cruise next week will try to post all new acquires when I return. Life is good.

Rumad

One Too Many
I'm pretty excited about this one. Received it a few days ago, but just got it good enough to post.

Disney Capello Twenty. Thanks to Randall @Randall Renshaw for the tip on this one on ebay ! It was pretty dirty and the ribbon badly stained, but the felt is perfect with no moth bites and liner in great condition. The Sweat has a few little cracks, but been treating with Pecard and it looks good. Still working on cleaning the ribbon, I would rather try to save it and leave it original than replace it.

Incredibly soft felt, probably the softest I have. Nice chocolate brown color. Hard to tell indoors, but no daylight for me till the weekend by the time I get home.

Seems it's no later than 1947, as that's when they changed to 'Mr. Disney'. Would be nice to know the age and if it was from the original manufacturer, Crofut and Knapp.

Nice tall crown:

View attachment 206319

View attachment 206322

View attachment 206324

View attachment 206321

View attachment 206320

View attachment 206323

View attachment 206325

View attachment 206326
Love this hat bro. The colors are very nice but the shape of the brim is killer. Perfect.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Another ‘My kinda deal’ arrived tonight. A vintage Whippet for $50. My first Whippet. Another mangled, dirty mess, but at least no chicken feathers. I actually had to take it outside and blow it off with low pressure from the air compressor before I even took these photos ! Pretty bad stain on the ribbon, but perfect felt, sweat and liner. The liner has just come unsown.

I may try to flip the ribbon if I can’t get the stain out, but not sure how to handle the bow.

I’ll get to work on it after I finish the Disney. More to come......

View attachment 206422

View attachment 206419

View attachment 206420

View attachment 206421

Whippet! Into shape! It’s not a crime, to Whippet! Whippet good! [emoji445]Da da da da da—daa daa![emoji445]

Now I know this Devo tune HAD to have been used here before, but it would be shame not to redo it for Tim’s post, right?

I prolly didn’t get the words exactly right in the song, but I ripped the familiar guitar riff to the bone!! [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many
Another ‘My kinda deal’ arrived tonight. A vintage Whippet for $50. My first Whippet. Another mangled, dirty mess, but at least no chicken feathers. I actually had to take it outside and blow it off with low pressure from the air compressor before I even took these photos ! Pretty bad stain on the ribbon, but perfect felt, sweat and liner. The liner has just come unsown.

I may try to flip the ribbon if I can’t get the stain out, but not sure how to handle the bow.

I’ll get to work on it after I finish the Disney. More to come......

View attachment 206422

View attachment 206419

View attachment 206420

View attachment 206421
Nice my friend[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

You got this[emoji275][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points