Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Thanks, Snowman and Zombie_61.

It's better today. Apparently I'm a narrower oval than I thought. The hat is pressing above my eyebrows, like a tension headache. When I press in on the sides, I can tell it'll be fine with a little more wear.
If you don't have one already, it would be a good idea to get yourself a hat jack/stretcher just in case you need to give your hats a little "nudge" to make them fit a bit more comfortably after they're broken in.

Pellie

One Too Many
Modern Stetson Sovereign in black. Pictures from the seller....
Screenshot_20211010-202224_Marktplaats.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-202230_Marktplaats.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-202244_Marktplaats.jpg
Screenshot_20211010-205302_Marktplaats.jpg

Unicorn!

7DA11E78-E6BB-4F5B-89B3-5C739BD47C7A.jpeg
B4DAEA4C-8C00-4BE2-B959-E8ABB5B81BB7.jpeg
043C4E75-6F23-4CF0-9457-B2B7EE85E79E.jpeg
36E850C9-CF2A-469C-8D90-FBE2B37C8B83.jpeg
E3CF95E1-E25E-4E62-9983-7046DE16942E.jpeg
728F3316-F4A3-47E2-973F-D88F6BFB919B.jpeg
7EA2D5E9-9226-49B0-AAF2-753E3B095B44.jpeg
2A675575-155C-4F40-89EF-94FE46823208.jpeg
2AB48F23-F886-4C3A-8A7A-EEB5812F1F68.jpeg
EEB4473F-F96A-46BD-B051-AD1683205BA6.jpeg

The hat fits like a custom: the extra long oval probably has a lot to do with that. I suspect that the sweatband is a replacement since it lacks all Stetson markings, but the reverse side has me second guessing. The paper tabs holding in the liner is something I associate with refurbished hats??? The leather sweatband is unlike anything I’ve felt before. It’s not particularly thin, but it’s buttery soft and as supple as I could wish. The underside of the brim is covered in green grosgrain which I find unusual and attractive. The green isn’t flashy or even overly obvious. It came complete with a felt pad for keeping the plush smooth.

This is a hat I’ve long wanted just to have. Anyone want to opine on the age?

Unicorn!

View attachment 368568 View attachment 368569 View attachment 368570 View attachment 368571 View attachment 368572 View attachment 368573 View attachment 368574 View attachment 368575 View attachment 368576 View attachment 368577

The hat fits like a custom: the extra long oval probably has a lot to do with that. I suspect that the sweatband is a replacement since it lacks all Stetson markings, but the reverse side has me second guessing. The paper tabs holding in the liner is something I associate with refurbished hats??? The leather sweatband is unlike anything I’ve felt before. It’s not particularly thin, but it’s buttery soft and as supple as I could wish. The underside of the brim is covered in green grosgrain which I find unusual and attractive. The green isn’t flashy or even overly obvious. It came complete with a felt pad for keeping the plush smooth.

Tremendous! Congratulations Brent!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
This is an older German velour body that was very kindly gifted to me by @Garrett.

I finally got around to refurbing it. Blocked up from 6 7/8 to size 7 on a #52 which was more or less the original profile, and reflanged with a #33 flange.

Hard to photograph the true color and the hat also had some fading so there is a subtle mix of colors. Original silk ribbon, though I may need to re do that and tighten it up.

This is an older German velour body that was very kindly gifted to me by @Garrett.

I finally got around to refurbing it. Blocked up from 6 7/8 to size 7 on a #52 which was more or less the original profile, and reflanged with a #33 flange.

Hard to photograph the true color and the hat also had some fading so there is a subtle mix of colors. Original silk ribbon, though I may need to re do that and tighten it up.

Very nice. Good job.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Oh, wow, Brent, what a catch! There will be a party in California tonight!!!

Unicorn!

View attachment 368568 View attachment 368569 View attachment 368570 View attachment 368571 View attachment 368572 View attachment 368573 View attachment 368574 View attachment 368575 View attachment 368576 View attachment 368577

Rumad

One Too Many
Unicorn!

Wow! Finally found one! Good for you man, congrats. It’s a real gem too.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Unicorn!

Not long ago i recall you saying you had been looking for one of these forever and probably would never find one. Reverse psychology worked and amazingly well, Brent.
Reorder tag, sweatband number and box all match. Unbelievable find!!
Happy for you.
B

Not long ago i recall you saying you had been looking for one of these forever and probably would never find one. Reverse psychology worked and amazingly well, Brent.
Reorder tag, sweatband number and box all match. Unbelievable find!!
Happy for you.
B

Thanks, B. I was excited and nervous when it came up for sale. No auction, just buy it now. I was sure someone was going to beat me to it. I got this topper and a light gray homburg I’m steaming into shape. He had a couple more hats that I was interested in, but restraint won out for once.

Do you think the sweatband is original? There aren’t any Stetson marks or debossing etc. I don’t really care as the leather is perfect and the hat is oh so comfortable.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, B. I was excited and nervous when it came up for sale. No auction, just buy it now. I was sure someone was going to beat me to it. I got this topper and a light gray homburg I’m steaming into shape. He had a couple more hats that I was interested in, but restraint won out for once.

Do you think the sweatband is original? There aren’t any Stetson marks or debossing etc. I don’t really care as the leather is perfect and the hat is oh so comfortable.
Brent, the sweatband appears to have the same number stamped on it’s inside as does the reorder tag as does the box. It has a Lot number stamp as well. That seems pretty Stetson to me. Maybe they pulled it out of the no logo pile.
Very cool topper.
B

Last edited:
...Do you think the sweatband is original? There aren’t any Stetson marks or debossing etc. I don’t really care as the leather is perfect and the hat is oh so comfortable.
Brent, the sweatband appears to have the same number stamped on it’s inside as does the reorder tag as does the box. It has a Lot number stamp as well. That seems pretty Stetson to me. Maybe the pulled it out of the no logo pile.
Very cool topper.
B
Is it possible it was made by Stetson under contract for someone else, and that's why their logo doesn't appear on the sweatband? I'm merely spitballing here, but this thought came to mind as I was reading the discussion.

And I agree with Bowen, Brent--very cool topper!

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Unicorn!

You finally found one, Brent. Congrats, it looks a real beauty. Looking forward to photos of you sporting it.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
My black Stetson the Sovereign came in today. Beautiful hat and proportions. Felt is a littlebit stiffer and except from the lining, the hat is in excellent condition. View attachment 368765 View attachment 368766 View attachment 368767 View attachment 368768 View attachment 368769 View attachment 368770 View attachment 368771 View attachment 368772

Nice vintage shape to that Sovereign, Marcel. The liner is a problem with these modern Stetsons. I have one with more or less exactly the same wear and tear after really not that much use by its original owner: that is to say, me.

Pellie

One Too Many
Nice vintage shape to that Sovereign, Marcel. The liner is a problem with these modern Stetsons. I have one with more or less exactly the same wear and tear after really not that much use by its original owner: that is to say, me.
Well...the lining was 100% in great condition but there was a dusty spot on it. The seller wanted to clean it, but that has gone wrong. But that's also why the price for me went down :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB