Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Quite the hat builder you are, Randall! That one should wear well for many years to come.

Finished this 7XCB OR fedora conversion tonight. A conversion that couldn’t be helped, mostly.
A 7 3/8 late 50s bought recently that was spotted all up, if you all remember. $30!!!
Had to sew on new binding and added a matching 1 1/2” frayed bow.
You can see in one of the pics that it had a weird suntan line caused from the old ribbon and worse, the wind string! First I’ve ever saw of that, especially where it must have never moved and stuck way up high like this.
A wide ribbon was needed to cover it. Plus there’s that faded sweatband halo that appears fairly high on the crown of many ORs. Y’all know what I’m talking about.
Well, I have plenty of 7XCBs ORs anyway, so I didn’t mind making this one into a fedora.
My first frayed bow. I changed the direction of the slanted cuts on the bow just to make it different from the usual.
Had to clean and reblock it, which after all that scrubbing loosened up the stiff felt a great deal.
Hope y’all like it!! View attachment 500341 View attachment 500343 View attachment 500345 View attachment 500346
View attachment 500342

View attachment 500344

Mighty44

One Too Many
Finished this 7XCB OR fedora conversion tonight. A conversion that couldn’t be helped, mostly.
A 7 3/8 late 50s bought recently that was spotted all up, if you all remember. $30!!!
You can see in one of the pics that it had a weird suntan line caused from the old ribbon and worse, the wind string! First I’ve ever saw of that, especially where it must have never moved and stuck way up high like this.
A wide ribbon was needed to cover it. Plus there’s that faded sweatband halo that appears fairly high on the crown of many ORs. Y’all know what I’m talking about.
Well, I have plenty of 7XCBs ORs anyway, so I didn’t mind making this one into a fedora.
My first frayed bow. I changed the direction of the slanted cuts on the bow just to make it different from the usual.
Had to clean and reblock it, which after all that scrubbing loosened up the stiff felt a great deal.
Hope y’all like it!! View attachment 500341 View attachment 500343 View attachment 500345 View attachment 500346
View attachment 500342

View attachment 500344
Incredible save, Randy. Looks great on you.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
An big old western from Montgomery Ward (late 1920s). The "Round Up" model. 7-1/2" crown, 5" brim. It doesn't fit me (like advertised), but does fit my wife. Although she is a bit intimidated by it.

View attachment 499625

View attachment 499626

View attachment 499627

View attachment 499628

View attachment 499629

View attachment 499630

View attachment 499631

A screen printed Pin-Up?

View attachment 499632

View attachment 499633

View attachment 499634
So very cool!!
Women can wear ANY big hat.
Guys...not so much.
B

RBH

Bartender
View attachment 500342

View attachment 500344
Fantastic work!!

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 500342

View attachment 500344
It came out absolutely stunning!!

Yamahana

Practically Family
View attachment 500342

View attachment 500344
Looks great! I like the frayed ribbon it's a good change up.

View attachment 500342

View attachment 500344
Amazing job Randall. Youve transformed it into a fabulous piece.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Among the end-of-season of Italian hats production, this purebred English hat has also arrived.
Lock 1.jpg
I don't have much experience with Lock & Co. hatter manufacturing, this is a nice product with a great color, maybe I'm biased because I love blue hats.
Lock 4.jpg

I have not found any label that could give me indications regarding its characteristics.
Lock interno.jpg
It is an unlined hat with leather sweatband, with good formability and very attractive look.
Lock 7.jpg
New like his other Italian companions is size 59 cm, or 7 1/4 in UK and 7 3/8 in US.
These are the measures: the raw brims are at 5.5cm, the ribbon is 1cm high and the fully open crown is 13cm.
Lock 2.jpg
Thank you very much for your appreciation of the brown Barbisio.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 500342

View attachment 500344
The Hat Whisperer strikes again!

That is one fantastic job, Randall. Congrats on saving that distressed OR.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Thanks a million, guys!
Appreciate that this conversion was well received!
Fantastic job, I wouldn't have expected to like the wider ribbon so much but it looks great! Way to save a very cool hat!

Amazing restoration! Did you use a gas bath to clean it?
Bill

Quite the hat builder you are, Randall! That one should wear well for many years to come.

Incredible save, Randy. Looks great on you.

Fantastic work!!

It came out absolutely stunning!!

Looks great! I like the frayed ribbon it's a good change up.

Amazing job Randall. Youve transformed it into a fabulous piece.

The Hat Whisperer strikes again!

That is one fantastic job, Randall. Congrats on saving that distressed OR.

Thought I was going to resort to gas, but dish soap was all it took…and a dab of elbow grease.
Dish soap seems to aid in limbering up the felt whereas, naphtha doesn’t; at least from my experimentation.
Some “rust stains” are somewhat easily removed and some won’t come out at all. Especially when on ribbon. I’ve yet to find a product that will remove those type stains from ribbon. Anyone know of something else to try?

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Now something especially nice for the anniversary
of my 1000th post here in the Fedora Lounge:
The hat eagerly awaited by @Steve1857 has arrived!

Borsalino GIGIASGU (read correctly?) completely in black
size 6 1/2 Punti - again on the separate size stamp
brim 5,5 cm; ribbon 4,8 cm; crown 11,0 cm dent/14,5 cm open
The felt is very soft, very easy to mold and you feel like the coming
spring storms could deform it right when you wear it...
The dimensions do match the other gray Gigiasgu I showed the other day,
but it's obviously a completely different model, because that was a Homburg.
Maybe I did not decipher the label correctly - what do you guys think/read?
Otherwise it would be the famous Borsalino roulette with names...

The seller is A. F. Bodecker branch in Stockholm - but Steve knows more:
Nice find, Matt.

Interesting it's originally from A.F. Bodecker's Stockholm establishment. Originally from Sweden, he learned the hat making trade during the mid-ish 1800s in various countries in Europe during the revolutionary years. Germany and France among others.

He finally ended up in Denmark. I have quite a few hats from his shops in Copenhagen, but none as yet from the Stockholm branch.

Looking forward to seeing more of that Borsalino velour once it arrives.

45387820zz.jpg

45387817vj.jpg

45387814qm.jpg

45387800zq.jpg

45387811bg.jpg

45387806ad.jpg

45387808bj.jpg

45387803km.jpg

45387797bm.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

45387820zz.jpg

45387817vj.jpg

45387814qm.jpg

45387800zq.jpg

45387811bg.jpg

45387806ad.jpg

45387808bj.jpg

45387803km.jpg

45387797bm.jpg
An absolutely wonderful find in so many ways, Matt. Love everything about this one.

45387820zz.jpg

45387817vj.jpg

45387814qm.jpg

45387800zq.jpg

45387811bg.jpg

45387806ad.jpg

45387808bj.jpg

45387803km.jpg

45387797bm.jpg

Your first photo of the hat in profile tells a lot about the hat. The shape and bow design scream “old” to me and the pinches show how thin and moldable the felt is. What a great find…the kind of hat that keeps us hunting.

View attachment 500342

View attachment 500344
Fantastic work, Randall. To be honest I did not expect the hat to clean up as nicely as it did. The rebuild is beautiful.

45387820zz.jpg

45387817vj.jpg

45387814qm.jpg

45387800zq.jpg

45387811bg.jpg

45387806ad.jpg

45387808bj.jpg

45387803km.jpg

45387797bm.jpg
You don't have to wait a thousand posts to post a hat like that, Matt. Every 100 or even 10 will do just as well! Gorgeous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ