Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
Thanks much for the kudos Gentlemen. This hat looks even better in person. One of these days I hope to find a dark brown, ala Howard Hughes, fedora in similar proportions. My life style dictates thin ribbons but my alter ego covets the wider bands. It can be a difficult choice but alas, something I must live with. So many hats, so little time. Not to mention a lack of hat hanging space.

yanito

New in Town
Kingsbury "Thirty Dollars"

I got this hat from eBay for $11 shipped. There isn't a whole lotta info on the net about this brand.

It was a 7 1/4 which I stretched to 7 3/8. I took it in the shower with me, gave it a good scrub with a brush and some mild shampoo. Unfortunately, the previous owner had a wind cord on it and the dye from the cord seeped into the ribbon. You can see a line running around the lower part of the ribbon. The brim is 1 1/2 inches, crown is 4 inches. The nice thing about this stingy brim is you can wear it snapped up or down and it looks good either way.

I guess the best way to date this hat would be by the model "Thirty Dollars". When did hats sell for that price? 50's 60's 70's?

Deckburner

New in Town
First bash ever

New Akubra Federation IV. First attempt at a bash. This started out as a center dent. The comments I received was, "It's high", and "it's a little top-hattish". So, I reworked the crown into what you see in the photos. I would love to hear feedback/criticism of the bash, brim, fit relative to my face, style, color, etc. Thinking of getting another hat already, and would love to hear your thoughts.
ps - please excuse my t-shirt. This is my casual, "brushing my teeth" outfit.

2556402420105890995S425x425Q85.jpg

2428533530105890995S425x425Q85.jpg

2449812010105890995S425x425Q85.jpg

2964406260105890995S425x425Q85.jpg

2587758230105890995S425x425Q85.jpg

2955367790105890995S425x425Q85.jpg

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Swimcap, it looks great on you. The crown height looks good for you as you have it now. For what it's worth I think that is a good brim width too. I'd wear the heck out of that hat is I were you.:eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SwimCap said:
New Akubra Federation IV. First attempt at a bash. This started out as a center dent. I reworked the crown into what you see in the photos. I would love to hear feedback/criticism of the bash, brim, fit relative to my face, style, color, etc.
2587758230105890995S425x425Q85.jpg

I think the crease and especially the brim width fits you very well. Enjoy it!

Big Baby Macoy

New in Town
Hey Everyone:)Newbie needs helps with hats!

Good Evening, The Fashionable and extremely knowledge men of The Fedora Lounge. I own several hats, but I had to admit that while they might look dashing, they are in fact cheap modern dance closely to the very edge of ya dude, muscle bound, red bull and vodka swilling. Texting frantically to all the hot spots in town, trying to secure a spot on the Guest List.................Sorry, got on a bit of rant there.

In my humble and rather limited knowledge of hats. I was wondering if you can guide this newbie on the proper way to recognize a high quality hat, how much to I spend and any advice on how to pick the proper hat to fit my style, particular fashion sense and most of important size of head, ears and head........thanks Big Baby

Also, I am sorry if I am repeating a previous posted thread. I couldn't track one down, still trying to figure this website/forum out.

EricH

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the lounge. Start with the "stickies" on the hats page. They will introduce you to terminology, classic makers, and points of style and quality. This thread where we show off our latest prizes is a good one to see just a sampling of the thousands of different ones that are out there.

Simply read, read and read the hundreds of threads archived here. There is a tremendous amount to be learned and it will take a while to be versed in the lore and lingo.

Finally if you plan on collecting vintage. It will not be easy, particularly if you have a 7 3/8+ noggin, but you may find it fun. Be prepared. Collectors of hats are usually gentlemen (and gentlewomen), but we are dead serious in our pursuit of our holy grails.

Have fun, good luck and study up.

Eric

Still one hat short

Big Baby Macoy

New in Town
Thanks EricH

I really appreciate the welcome. Your have been the first. But to honest I have spent my time reading over the threads and forums trying to absorb this endless supply of amazing information. I will follow your advice....byw, I am rocking a 7 1/4' dome..........Brian

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Here's a newly arrived Borsalino Alessandria. Garrett, when you posted yours a couple of days ago, I had to smile -- seems like it's raining brown Borsos this week! :D More in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread...

BrBorso-1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
Welcome to the Lounge, Big Baby Macoy and SwimCap !

DITTO.

What I consider to be the most classic 'look' in a fedora may be different from what another does. Personally, I prefer vintage ('40s mainly) snap brim, fur felt dress hats by Stetson, Dobbs, Borsalino, Champ, and Knox. Other good brands from the past include Resistol, Adam, Lee and a slew of more obscure brands. I really like brims that are between 2-1/2" and 3".

Swim', that high crown and big brim look good on ya'. Big Baby', you might try something along those lines too.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jimmy the lid said:
Here's a newly arrived Borsalino Alessandria. Garrett, when you posted yours a couple of days ago, I had to smile -- seems like it's raining brown Borsos this week! :D More in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread...

BrBorso-1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

I like your crease better, Jimmy :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Vintage Resistol "Pincher"

I haven't been on the site much in the past couple of months...the semester has been crazy and Thanksgiving is the first real break I've gotten. So, I'm happy to return with photos of a new hat I spotted at the monthly Long Beach Antique Fair last weekend (yeah, I took a couple hours out from reading student essays and program administration for that!).

It's a Resistol Jet, probably from the late '50s or early '60s (I'm guessing the latter). Deep brown, fur felt, snap brim with an underwelt and a pork-pie style that has been pinched at the front--thus the hat's name, from the tag under the liner. Surprisingly, it was a 7 3/8 and fit like a charm. Aside from a couple of minor spots on the ribbon and a little wear on the sweatband, it's in beautiful shape. I don't wear many short-brimmed hats (this doesn't feel stingy, so I'm hesitating to call it that), but I'm liking the vibe of this one.

The details:
2" brim
4 1/2" crown

The pics:
P1010003-3.jpg

P1010007-2.jpg

With some period-appropriate shades:
P1010010-1.jpg

P1010012.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:

BrBorso-1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Handsome lid, jtl! That old felt's amazing.

Sue

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Finally!...

At last I have some pics of this new Akubra "Ranchero" which name I can find no reference to whatsoever...
(interior shots are not great)
th_100_0160.jpg

th_100_0161.jpg

th_100_0162.jpg

th_100_0166.jpg

th_100_0167.jpg

Have been really busy looking after elderly folks so I had no time to really even look closely at this hat(hard to fathom I know). Now that I have worn it a little and got a feel for it I think this is one that will see very regular wear :) I am extremely well pleased ;)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
jazzncocktails said:

JnC -- Good to see you back! I'm lovin' the whole vibe. That hat looks great on you, and is right at home with the shirt and shades. Nice. And, I am also totally diggin' the Shag thing goin' on behind you...;)

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points