Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
30's Mossant

Fresh from the bay - came with its original box!

IMG_3316.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Garrett said:
Fresh from the bay - came with its original box!
IMG_3325.jpg

Very cool.

That ripply business along the reed on the front side of the hat is not a feature that I am familiar with. I'm in need of some education here.

Garrett

Borsalino has the same corrugated material in the front of their sweatbands. I'm not sure if we ever discovered why they did this -
fit, flexibility and ventilation?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
I missed that in those pictures. Yes, it has a ventilated sweatband as well. That is a good feature to have in a hard felt hat like that. They can get warm at times.

Fair enough.

So what is this corrugated fabric made of - paper, cotton, felt?

feltfan

jamespowers said:
Ventilation is more likely what it was for. It also had an effect on fit though. You see this feature to a lesser extent on many Dobbs hats as well. Dobbs called it a headspring. :D
I don't buy it. I have never noticed any ventilation from that
Borsalino corrugation. I'm with carouselvic on this one.

Fascinating to suddenly find out Stetson, Dobbs, and Mossant
did it, too.

Garrett said:
Borsalino has the same corrugated material in the front of their sweatbands. I'm not sure if we ever discovered why they did this -
fit, flexibility and ventilation?

P. & C. Habig had something similar called "Ventilo". A series of felt shafts in the front of the sweatband for ventilation. If look closely you can see them and the "Ventilo" label in the following picture. If you are moving quickly (for example on a bike) you can feel the air work up into the front of the hat.

3333509112_49bd957188_b.jpg

Mr. Paladin

jimmy the lid said:
Just opened the box, and am totally psyched to find that the Disney is actually a blue/gray with a navy ribbon. I'll post photos soon... ;)

Cheers,
JtL

That one looked great when I saw it on e-Bay. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Mr. Paladin

I just checked my Mossant homburg, which HPG estimated as a 1930's model when I purchased it from him, and found it does not have the corrugations in the sweat make-up. It does however, have a threaded band woven through the rear portion of the sweatband.
MossantStetsondetail018.jpg

The Golden Pilgrim

I mentioned winning this in the ebay thread but wanted to post a more detailed report.
The box says Golden Pilgrim with color being Argyle & it has the Formease comfort construction which is the style of sweatband. This is definitely New With Tags condition. It has a slight center dent, not a true open crown. The brim is 2 5/8 inches with a 5 1/2 inch crown. The ribbon & edge binding is a dark olive against the medium brown body. Here are some photos....
The very nice box
p1010081.jpg

Open box
p1010083.jpg

Right out of the box
p1010084.jpg

p1010087.jpg

With a dry diamond crease
P1010098.jpg

The guts
P1010090.jpg

On my noggin
P1010102.jpg

P1010104.jpg

Mr. Paladin

gtdean48 said:
I mentioned winning this in the ebay thread but wanted to post a more detailed report.
The box say Golden Pilgrim with color being Argyle & it has the Formease comfort construction which is the style of sweatband. This is definitely New With Tags condition. It has a slight center dent, not a true open crown. The brim is 2 5/8 inches with a 5 1/2 inch crown. The ribbon & edge binding is a dark olive against the medium brown body. Here are some photos....
The very nice box
Right out of the box
p1010084.jpg

That is a great looking buy, gtd. Super condition and looks "soft as golden butta" as well. Nice crease-work.:eusa_clap

Jay Lord Custom

Landed this off the Bay when I had a school of 7 5/8 hats go by. It is nicely made with 2 5/8 inch brim, 5 1/2 inch crown. I don't know anything about Jay Lord so any info is appreciated. I'm going to have to adjust this crease some but here it is as purchased...
P1010110.jpg

P1010111.jpg

P1010112.jpg

P1010116.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland