Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the lounge, Britishink. You'll like it here. Will be looking forward to your pictures. We like pictures here.

Justdog

Practically Family
Stetson OR

Lefty said:
Snazzy. Definitely not an OR or an OR clone, but very nice. :eusa_clap

Yes It is a Stetson 100 as stamped on the inside sweat band. Measurements
2 7/8 Brim unfinished Crown 5 1/2 inches. Probably prior to the marketing initiative of Open Road hats as the last three hats I have are not labeled "open road" but are pretty much the same dimensions and all three are older than any labeled OR I have.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Justdog said:
Yes It is a Stetson 100 as stamped on the inside sweat band. Measurements
2 7/8 Brim unfinished Crown 5 1/2 inches. Probably prior to the marketing initiative of Open Road hats as the last three hats I have are not labeled "open road" but are pretty much the same dimensions and all three are older than any labeled OR I have.

Looks solidly mid '50s to me, from the liner, the size tag and the type of plastic covering the liner. Right at the height of open road marketing. But then again, the stetson 100 was a price point and felt designation, not a style.

Justdog

Practically Family
Interesting

Dinerman said:
Looks solidly mid '50s to me, from the liner, the size tag and the type of plastic covering the liner. Right at the height of open road marketing. But then again, the stetson 100 was a price point and felt designation, not a style.
That is interesting how the style is somewhat difficult to differentiate. For example 2 Stetson 20s I have One has the OR the other does not but hard pressed to know them apart unless you look in the sweatband. Both $12.50
The 25 $12.50. OR label. Some soft some stiff. A definitive Hx would be nice but the dating helps with the 100. Same style label as one of my 20 ORs.
Would have been nice if they put a date in them:) I,ll have to move my post over to the when is an OR an OR thread

W0XDL

New in Town
New Stetson Homburg Arrives

Well, my new gray Homburg arrived today. It fits wonderfully and I can hardly wait to wear it out. I'll get pictures posted soon but in the mean time, I can tell you all that it is labeled Stetson Royal Deluxe, St. Regis.

When comparing it to my Knox 20, I am a bit disappointed in the stoutness (for lack of a better word) of the felt. I assumed it would be a higher quality than my stingy brim Knox. If anyone has thoughts on this model Stetson, I would enjoy hearing them.

Nevertheless, it is a fine hat. Pictures to follow soon. It's too late and I'm out of steam today.

DL

Justdog

Practically Family

Dinerman said:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=33387&highlight=Dating+open+raod
The ribbon is definately similar to what I think is the Mustang or the Texan in the posted ad?
Interesting as well my hatter, who worked at Stetson Biltmore for 30 years stated that some ORs actually did have wider brims, not hugely wider but variations. Should get the softened up 100 back next week. As of Tuesday Oct 07 08

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
2 new hats

I just won these on Ebay, and I think I did pretty well on price.
The first is a Knox Whippet clone. It doesn't have any style name on the sweatband, but it seems basically identical. It was in excellent shape, except for a little staining on the sides.

Knoxfedora.jpg

The other one is a cheapo wool Stratoliner imitation. It's a Webster "Strato". Not a great hat, kind of small. I imagine it would be fine for a kid or a teenager. It has your basic thin ribbon, which is one reason I went for it. It's still not a great hat, but nice for what it is. Luckily I just won an Open Road, which should be here soon. Anyhow, here it is:

WebsterStratofedora.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I like that the Strato name is shorter than the Stratoliner, just like the hat.
I wonder if the brand also had an Open Ro. Maybe a Fairly Long Alley. :p

W0XDL

New in Town
New Hat Photos

Finally I've had a moment to take a couple of snapshots of my new hats. Here is my daily Knox 20:

2134020030104122225S425x425Q85.jpg

And here is my new Stetson Royale Deluxe St. Regis:

2775884420104122225S425x425Q85.jpg

You can't tell from the photo, but this hat does have a center crease. Fits better than the Knox which is a bit too big.

Hope you all enjoy these. That took a few tries to get the pictures to be a good size!

DL

Edward

Bartender
I was looking for the 'show us your pork pies' thread, but it seems to have disaparated.... Anyhow, this just arrived this morning, from the lovely people at HatsDirect.com:

DSC00027.jpg

Fur Felt Akubra 'Rap' model pork pie, in black ,with bound 2" snap brim. Very pleased with this hat. Bought to be worn with a drape jacket and other Ted style accoutremonts (making up for my lack of appropriate hair!). I'll post photos on the teddy boy thread soon as I have the full lot together.

Being worn (note that the postman arrived at just before 7am, hence why I was not yet dressed!):

DSC00023.jpg

Inside:

DSC00028.jpg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
New Mallory

Here's my new Mallory - an excellent piece of felt, and very much a Stratoliner look-alike. (Take a look at the briefcase under it, too - a new Custom Hide my wife gave me for my birthday...) I have a tan Strat in 7 1/8 but it has never quite stretched enough for comfort. This is a better fit, and very darn nice!!

P9210029.jpg

P9210031.jpg

P9210025.jpg

P9210026.jpg

My own bash...
P9210030.jpg

Attempt at self-photo:
P9210023.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey Pilgrim; great hat, great natural looking bash, and great birthday briefcase. Self portrait does a fine job os showing how well that hat suits you and compliments your attire. Thanks for sharing the shots!

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pilgrim said:
Here's my new Mallory - an excellent piece of felt, and very much a Stratoliner look-alike. (Take a look at the briefcase under it, too - a new Custom Hide my wife gave me for my birthday...) I have a tan Strat in 7 1/8 but it has never quite stretched enough for comfort. This is a better fit, and very darn nice!!

P9210031.jpg

Very nice Mallory, Pilgrim. The briefcase is very cool. Your wife did good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland