Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Vita-burg

One of a handful of vita-felt homburgs sold recently - watched this one through three listings and was the only bidder. Excellent, unworn condition.

Date stamped from January 1944, this is marked Gold Medal on the front of the sweat with the store price tag underneath showing Belham - Tuxedo $10.00. I believe it is blue/black with a black ribbon and deep maroon brim binding. Soft, plush vita-felt is one stop away from a short velour, with mister softee sweatband and the slippery smooth synthetic liner material - same that appears in my 1940 era Stetson Special. Would love to know what wartime fabric this was... some byproduct from the Stetson vita-beaver farms, perhaps? :) More photos to follow.

vitaburg1.jpg

vitaburg2.jpg

vitaburg3.jpg

vitaburg4.jpg

Last edited:

billyspew

One Too Many
One of a handful vita-felt homburgs sold recently - watched this one through three listings and was the only bidder. Excellent, unworn condition.

Date stamped from January 1944, this is marked Gold Medal on the front of the sweat with the store price tag underneath showing Belham - Tuxedo $10.00. I believe it is blue/black with a black ribbon and deep maroon brim binding. Soft, plush vita-felt is one stop away from a short velour, with mister softee sweatband and the slippery smooth synthetic liner material - same that appears in my 1940 era Stetson Special. Would love to know what wartime fabric this was... some byproduct from the Stetson vita-beaver farms, perhaps? :) More photos to follow.

Very nice Alan, almost identical to my vita-burg (great nickname), other then the colours.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
OK I know this hat has a slight discoloration but it was hard to pass up for less than 10 dollars. It is rare to see such a cool color combination. I do not know anything about Towncraft hats but I can tell this will get a lot of head time.
P2047786.jpg

P2047787.jpg

EggHead

Practically Family
I fill some wide container with distilled water, press just the crown into the water without letting the water inside. Brim usually does not get wet. Then hold it several seconds, get it out and feel the outside felt with my fingers for wetness. Then repeat the process until I think the felt has been sufficiently soaked, but not soaked through. Then brush. Often times, if the spots are water soluble, they will go away. I let it dry somewhat, shape the crown, then let it dry on my head, but away for heat.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
OK I know this hat has a slight discoloration but it was hard to pass up for less than 10 dollars. It is rare to see such a cool color combination. I do not know anything about Towncraft hats but I can tell this will get a lot of head time.
P2047786.jpg

P2047787.jpg

Towncraft = JC Penney's
cool hat

scooter

Practically Family
Teach, I have a spray bottle filled with distilled water that is dedicated to my hats. I simply spray the dickens out the outside of the crown (and/or brim) if I'm working on that. Brush it gently if needed, shape it, and wear it (if trying to conform it to your head) or just set it aside on a clean towel with a rolled dish towel under the brim to preserve the snap and let it dry. I do not wet the inside of the crown or the sweat. If trying to shape the brim, I spray it top and bottom. Has worked like a charm.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Alright after two washings. While I would not call it a complete success it has minimized the stain. I fear without a professional or buying some chemicals it may stay this way, but as I said for 8 bucks beggars can't be choosers.
P2057793.jpg

P2057792.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner