Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Part II of last week's Lee confession

...the reactionary purchases from SDF (sweatband disintegration frustration)...

I made a lowball offer on this Lord's hat and to my utter surprise it was accepted almost immediately-- roughly at 40% of the original BIN price.

Dobbs Americana 7 1/8 long oval

dobbsamericana008copy.jpg

dobbsamericana005copy.jpg

dobbsamericana006copy.jpg

Haven;t taken any measurements yet, but I am digging it so far. It's compact without being short or stingy, and after a quick steaming to clean up the brim shape, has proven itself versatile in a variety of functions, casual and dressy.

001copyw.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. My fondness of this continues to grow. wearing it this morning for school drop-offs.

It's true-- I don't think it can be all that old, but the sweatband and string bow at the back of the sweat would have me thinking 60s? Unless they kept that for a long time, they're almost identical to my 60s Dobbs bowlers, and the felt seems of similar makeup, though not as smoothly pounced.

It was most definitely not hand creased. what do you call it when the crease is blocked in on the hat form? It looks like that to me.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
"arrival at post office" today at 2:27am. ;) They're usually pretty efficient around here, so it's not entirely unlikely that I'll see them this afternoon.

Sorry to be OT, and now... :focus:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys. My fondness of this continues to grow. wearing it this morning for school drop-offs.

It's true-- I don't think it can be all that old, but the sweatband and string bow at the back of the sweat would have me thinking 60s? Unless they kept that for a long time, they're almost identical to my 60s Dobbs bowlers, and the felt seems of similar makeup, though not as smoothly pounced.

It was most definitely not hand creased. what do you call it when the crease is blocked in on the hat form? It looks like that to me.

The Americana series is circa 1970, right at the tail end of Dobbs as it once was. I don't know if any of these were made in Norwalk, or perhaps they were made in Winchester, but the series is one that was carried over by Koracorp in Garland, TX, at least for a few years.

Brad

The auction for this wild green cap was posted by Lefty the other day. It closed without a bid. I hadn't caught it, but I couldn't resist contacting the seller.

This is one crazy tweed - thick and rustic. I couldn't find a maker mark inside... there are owner's initials stamped and a faint square where a size tag once stood in front of the sweat. That fabulous purple tip liner (did you know green/purple is my favorite color pairing?) reads "For Fine Retail Trade/ Made in USA" with a spoonbill, or dodo or I don't know what in the middle. 1 1/2" rolled sweatband is butter soft sheepskin or deerskin or something like that. No snap on brim.

greencap1.jpg

greencap2.jpg

greencap3.jpg

greencap4.jpg

greencap5.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
My eBay score ca. early 1950's 3x Open Road came in today. Very nice felt on this hat, though I suppose it could do for a good clean and reblock. Wide sweatband, embroidered "Last Drop" liner, really, everything you could ask for in an OR that's not a Clear Beaver one.

2012-02-06125021.jpg

With the Cattleman's crease:
2012-02-06124644.jpg

Quick dry diamond crease:
2012-02-06124816.jpg

Haven't decided how I want to crease this hat...also been contemplating adding a pencil curl ala the "Hemphill" hats.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
wow, Jared! That is a score. The brim up works for you too, I think. I love the side profile of that cattleman, but can't really get used to the head-on view, but that hat seems to hold whatever crease you want without alluding to whatever it had before. cool!

Alan, if a hat could be a dread lock... wait a minute-- I guess that pretty much describes the felting process in the first place! :)

Great comparison. I was thinking living roof design,

green-roof-in-bloom.jpg

but Rasta is jastabout right on.

Thanks Ale, Perry, Jeff (and Lefty)... I like this on a lot, and it fits too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner