Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
How's the fit Mike? I've always wondered about that, with Art's hats bought second-hand. That hat sure looks great. I now know where to go when I grow weary of trying to find a vintage Strat!
This one was a little tight but went right into my shape with the custom cedar block Art made for me. Once you find that someone has your same circumference (or close) then you know if it fits them it will fit you. It's not quite the same as the wonderful process of having a custom hat made specifically for you, but when I get a chance to pick up a pure beaver hat for under $200 I just can't pass that up. I'm not done ordering customs but I also keep my eyes open for used ones.

jbucklin

Practically Family
So Art made a replica of the cedar block he uses for blocking your custom hats and then sold it to you? I guess I'll have get one of those too!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I'd say getting a bandblock from Art was one of the best hat investments I've made.

Perfect for getting vintage hats that might have shrunk a little to fit as well as one of Art's hats.

Davey_Speedstar

New in Town
My new acquisition arrived today:

121.jpg

It's a Gangster Fedora, made by Christys, and supplied by Village Hats. I bought it online on their UK site, and once again I'm really pleased with my purchase.

This one cost me £56 (not sure what that is in $US), but compared to other outlets it seems like an excellent price for the product. My initial impression is very favourable. I have read people's comments that Christy's sizing can be a bit on the small side. I would say it's 'exact'. I'm a 6 7/8, and my hat feels snug, but not tight, and I'm sure that over the coming weeks it'll adjust to the shape of my head (won't it?)

Anyway I feel that I now have a smart lid for work and formal wear, and my previous Ford Fedora by Jaxon Hats, can be used for less formal occasions and weekends

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Playboy Air-Light

P1030710.JPG
P1030708.JPG

P1030709.JPG
P1030706.JPG

Very dirty but cleaned right up with hat sponge and K2r. Will take better photos tomorrow with natural light.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The brim seems shorter than usual for a playboy, is this true?

Yes, the 30's Playboys had shorter brims, about 2-1/4" here and a slightly taller more square crown(flatter on top). Not a trim job as it has the typical line of stitching just inward from the edge.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the 30's Playboys had shorter brims, about 2-1/4" here and a slightly taller more square crown(flatter on top). Not a trim job as it has the typical line of stitching just inward from the edge.
That's great! when I saw the auction pics I thought to myself that whoever owned it, had it trimmed. I love the vents around the crown sticker. too!.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925