Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coble

A-List Customer
...the reactionary purchases from SDF (sweatband disintegration frustration)...

I made a lowball offer on this Lord's hat and to my utter surprise it was accepted almost immediately-- roughly at 40% of the original BIN price.

Dobbs Americana 7 1/8 long oval

dobbsamericana008copy.jpg

dobbsamericana005copy.jpg

dobbsamericana006copy.jpg

Haven;t taken any measurements yet, but I am digging it so far. It's compact without being short or stingy, and after a quick steaming to clean up the brim shape, has proven itself versatile in a variety of functions, casual and dressy.

001copyw.jpg

Awesome looking hat. Definately good dimensions. I also like the way you cleaned up the brim.

Both are fantastic Robert... look forward to seeing additional photos. I hope you'll add the manufacturing label on the Playboy to this thread.

The flat cap looks great, Marc.

Last edited:

coble

A-List Customer
RLK-definately good clean job on that lid. I really like it. i'm really impressed on how clean it got.

Bowlerman-Yep glad to be home, was medically discharged from the U.S Navy. I have a job interview with Sunbody Hats tomorrow for shipping and receiving. I'm really hoping i get this job. You should look into their bowler straw hats, and their homburg straw hats.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Davey, Marc and Robert, great finds and Hats.
Robert ,super job done. Very nice Borsalino.

Coble, nice to have you back. Good luck for the job.

Last edited:

EggHead

Practically Family
rlk, nice Playboy. I was bidding on it too, but since it's a size bigger, and has holes on top :) didn't bother to the final round.
What's the brim size on it?

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
That's great! when I saw the auction pics I thought to myself that whoever owned it, had it trimmed. I love the vents around the crown sticker. too!.

My 30's Playboy has the same dimensions. I think the brim seemed a bit shorter in the auction pictures due to the high flange. The flange on my brim is a bit flatter, I'm guessing just from over-use.

DSC06306.jpg

DSC06311.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Robert, Josh - I hadn't realized just how much the Playboy had changed over the years.

Dirk - you are getting some nice hats this week. I like the Resistol (the feather would be gone already if it were mine), but love the Adam!

Borsalino Nu?esca.

Relatively thick and soft with felted edge... reminiscent of Knox 20 but with better crease retention. 2 3/4" brim, 1 7/8" ribbon, 5 1/2" crown. Not much taper to the block.

numesca1.jpg

numesca2.jpg

numesca3.jpg

numesca4.jpg

numesca5.jpg

numesca6.jpg

numesca7.jpg

numesca8.jpg

numesca9.jpg

guygardner

A-List Customer
Reshaped felt fedora

Not really a new hat, since I bought this 4 years ago, but I've only now started to wear it. I got this from a hat shop in Shangri-La (or the Tibetan town in Yunnan that the Chinese government has renamed Shangri-La). A lot of Tibetans wear tan felt fedoras to keep the sun off their heads. There seem to be two kinds of Chinese fedora, the cheap crap coming out of the southern factories, and the traditional wool and felt stuff that factories in Shanghai and Tianjin have been making since the 1930s. I believe this was made in Tianjin. Anyways, This hat had a center dent, which didn't suit my head shape, and so it sat as an unused souvenir for the last few years, until I read some of the threads about bashing and reshaping on this forum. I tried for a teardrop, but I guess it ended up a telescope crown. What do you think?

Photoon2012-02-10at1037.jpg
[/IMG]

Photoon2012-02-10at1038.jpg

Photoon2012-02-10at1140.jpg

Robert, Beautiful Stetson Playboy Air-light. You keep making amazing finds! I just noticed the Borsalino!

Dirk, You look great in your new Resistol 3x Beaver Kitten!

Alan, Super Borsalino! I really the black ribbon against the lighter felt.

Guy, Your Chinese number looks fine to me!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats