Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, wow, and wow. Those are great.
Is the sweat as small as it looks on the blue one, and does it fold-up along the ridges?

The Borso really ups the ante on Stetson's wafer edge.

I love the blue jay feathers in the Huckel. I've been thinking of putting some cardinal and blue jay feathers in my hats, as opposed to those odd birds often used.

+1 what he said.

Robert, you never cease to amaze me man.

Alex

Practically Family
Dobbs Royal Coachman stingy. Bit dirty but is now cleaner.
bb539_058.jpg

bb539_063.jpg

IMG_0499.JPG

Good spring hat I figure.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
3 hats purchased over a 5 week span arrived today.
5506373561_a87e8aef22_z.jpg

All 3 of those hats are just outstanding, Robert!! The 5 rows of stitching on that Borso is really incredible. Does the brim snap at all, or is just kind of stationary? I would imagine with such a big overweldt, the brim would be fairly rigid. Beautiful selection of fine European hats!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Dobbs Royal Coachman stingy. Bit dirty but is now cleaner.
bb539_058.jpg

bb539_063.jpg

IMG_0499.JPG

Good spring hat I figure.

really nice hat! I'm guessing it's more of a midnight blue than the purplish hue it exudes in your "noggin' shot." you wear it well-- I actually kind of dig the way the purple tones show through.

Thank you very much, hatophile! I really appreciate it. Ive just been calling the hat an open road, so if its not actually one, I will always think of it as an open road in spirit. LOL.

VERY nice one Josh. I have a 25, a 7X CB & a 100 that all are of the Open Road spirit but none have it marked on them. My Royal Deluxe Stetson Open Road does say it on the sweatband...go figure!
If it fits as well as you describe, then you are a Long Oval for sure...

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
VERY nice one Josh. I have a 25, a 7X CB & a 100 that all are of the Open Road spirit but none have it marked on them. My Royal Deluxe Stetson Open Road does say it on the sweatband...go figure!
If it fits as well as you describe, then you are a Long Oval for sure...

Thank you VERY much, Deputy! I haven't seen a whole lot of 7 LO out there, but when they come up, Im going to snatch them up for sure. Out of your 25, 7X CB, & 100, which one is your favorite felt? Obviously the 100 is pure Beaver, but as far as mold ability and hand feel, which is your personal favorite?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
All 3 of those hats are just outstanding, Robert!! The 5 rows of stitching on that Borso is really incredible. Does the brim snap at all, or is just kind of stationary? I would imagine with such a big overweldt, the brim would be fairly rigid. Beautiful selection of fine European hats!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thanks Josh. The brim is firm but not rigid. Its flanged for a gentle up-brim. You could give it some humidity and it could be pushed down. This one is a little crusty in general though.

Thank you VERY much, Deputy! I haven't seen a whole lot of 7 LO out there, but when they come up, Im going to snatch them up for sure. Out of your 25, 7X CB, & 100, which one is your favorite felt? Obviously the 100 is pure Beaver, but as far as mold ability and hand feel, which is your personal favorite?

There is a quantum leap from the 25 to the 7X CB (aka the 50). The 7X CB is pure beaver as well, just doesn't get the single handed "Master Hatter" finish of the 100. The hand of the 100 is superior but the mold-ability of the 7X CB is better as the crown is like modeling clay in dry form. I can crease it & wear it. The 100 is my personal favorite tho.

donnelly

New in Town
just picked this one up, found it at the local antique store in the box!

DSC_8454.jpg

DSC_8455.jpg

DSC_8458.jpg

DSC_8460.jpg

anyone know what the vintage of this hat is? I was thinking 1955ish?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
There is a quantum leap from the 25 to the 7X CB (aka the 50). The 7X CB is pure beaver as well, just doesn't get the single handed "Master Hatter" finish of the 100. The hand of the 100 is superior but the mold-ability of the 7X CB is better as the crown is like modeling clay in dry form. I can crease it & wear it. The 100 is my personal favorite tho.

Thats great to know. Thanks. I know there has been a lot of discussion about the differences or preferences between the 7x CB and the 100. Even though the hand of the 100 is nicer, I love hats that have the ability to mold like clay. I think I will look for a 7x CB and see how I like it.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
The 25 I have is a far better shaping hat than any of my 7X. All these 7X do better with steam. Hard to generalize over different years and stiffness variations. If you lightly stroke the 7X it is softer.

... I think I will look for a 7x CB and see how I like it.

My pleasure & good luck on your quest. You won't be disappointed if you land a nice example.
I was fortunate to land excellent examples of both & from the liner crest, sweatband & size tags they seem to be from the same period late 1950's/early 1960's.
Looking forward to your postings...

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
The 25 I have is a far better shaping hat than any of my 7X. All these 7X do better with steam. Hard to generalize over different years and stiffness variations. If you lightly stroke the 7X it is softer.

My pleasure & good luck on your quest. You won't be disappointed if you land a nice example.
I was fortunate to land excellent examples of both & from the liner crest, sweatband & size tags they seem to be from the same period late 1950's/early 1960's.
Looking forward to your postings...

Well Gentlemen, from the looks of things Im just going to have to find a 25, 7x CB, and a 100 to experience to full gamut of softness and pliability. Oh my poor wallet.....:doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot