Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Great new hats here.

Congrats on the Whippet score Mr. Lucky.

Justin, Vita-Felt dates your Strat to 40-46.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I got this Black Sheep in today's mail. I love it!
DSCN3509.jpg

DSCN3510.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks!

I don't know anything about the time period they used the different names, but was under the impression that Mode and self were pretty much different names for the same edge treatment is that correct?

Mode edge was Stetson's name for a Cavanagh/Felted edge. I don't know about selv edges, but I would describe yours as an overwelt.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Mine has the OPS tag so I know it was made in the early 50's. Mine is marked as Mode Edge, rather than the Selv Edge on yours. I think I read that Selv Edge is earlier than Mode, but someone more knowledgeable might be able to jump in on that.

The 3x I bought off Etsy on Friday arrived today. I said I'd share more pics when it got here, so here it is.

It came smooshed into a too small box stuffed with brown paper :mad:, but I brushed it, whiped it down with a damp cloth, steamed and blocked it, and it came out not bad if I do say so myself. I wasn't expecting the mode edge. I'm quite pleased.

Stetson used the name Selv-Edge from 1933 to 1940, then changed it to Mode Edge. Sometime in the '60s, if I recall it correctly, Stetson revived the Selv-Edge name for a sewn overwelt.

I don't remember enough about dating Stetsons to guess at yours. One question, though, it looks like there are evenly spaced marks around the Selv-Edge inboard edge, as if there were stitches, but they also don't quite look like stitches. Can you clarify what these marks are? Thanks.

Brad

mattface

Practically Family
One question, though, it looks like there are evenly spaced marks around the Selv-Edge inboard edge, as if there were stitches, but they also don't quite look like stitches. Can you clarify what these marks are? Thanks.

Brad

There aren't any stitches I can make out, but there is a little talc residue visible along that edge in the pictures.

mattface

Practically Family
Stetson used the name Selv-Edge from 1933 to 1940, then changed it to Mode Edge. Sometime in the '60s, if I recall it correctly, Stetson revived the Selv-Edge name for a sewn overwelt.

I don't remember enough about dating Stetsons to guess at yours. One question, though, it looks like there are evenly spaced marks around the Selv-Edge inboard edge, as if there were stitches, but they also don't quite look like stitches. Can you clarify what these marks are? Thanks.

Brad

Yes actually it looks more like glued than sewn. I read somewhere on here that the 50s-60s Selv-edge was "stuck" and stitched, then the stitches were removed. So probably like the mode edge without the felting step. That looks about right. I can't really see any stitches, but if I look real close I can see where stitches might once have been.

mattface

Practically Family
Knox Twenty I fished out of the bay.
P1010007.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1010013.jpg

P1010002.jpg

That's really nice! I've been on the lookout for a Knox. Somehow accidentally I seem to have become a Stetson Man. When I was a kid I fancied myself a cowboy, and always wanted a "real Stetson". Now a cowboy hat really doesn't fit my style at all, and while I do love Stetsons, there's no good reason for the fact that all 3 fedoras I own (not counting the panama) are Stetsons. THey just happened to be the hats I found that I liked and could afford.

Anyway ithat Knox is more or less exactly what I'd like to find for myself, except that I already have 2 grey hats, so I'm hoping to find a different color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner