Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Yes...Sorta!! Had Art send me a thinga majig to get the proper measurement. When I saw the results after measuring...Uhmmm..Long oval and egg combined!! :D I'm about a 23 1/2-5/8 for the lid to simply slip right on. To do a store-bought 7 1/2 is quite risky unless I could try it on first...

I sure understand. Some hats are not really what the tag size is....but if it is tagged your size, it is easy to ease a hat jack into one and make it be much better.

I have always appreciated (as my Husband does as well) that a few Loungers here are 7 1/2 to do business with...lol!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Wool is not the problem. It's how it was processed. This is a Austrian made Wool hat from the 1930s that has received heavy wear and still has its original form. The difference is the company that made it (Brüder Böhm) knew how to make Wool hats!

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/7-bruder-bohm-hutfabrik/page__st__20#entry798

I am sure you are 100 percent correct on that....and I am sure the cheap woolies we have had, (Bailey hats) are not so very well made...they even may not be 100% wool...may be some "tom cat" mixed in! MEOW! lol!

NewJack

Practically Family
Every time I pass this picture (I have have seen it like 10 times) I question my self: Is the uneven distance of the different ribbon colors on purpose or is it the picture angle?

Joao: Yes. it is off-center. But for me, it give it a unique look...Like most early fedora's I've seen, the early one's ribbon bows (and other 'dressings' were in the back of lid. Was it a mistake? [huh] Dunno. But it does 'rock!" :eusa_clap

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Resistol made for South Carolina State Highway Patrol.

gebygy3u.jpg
5uvu9uge.jpg
y7ahehyd.jpg
uvagahyt.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I can see some buck shot holes in the side of the crown....I know..they are vents..

I am sure you are 100 percent correct on that....and I am sure the cheap woolies we have had, (Bailey hats) are not so very well made...they even may not be 100% wool...may be some "tom cat" mixed in! MEOW! lol!

Actually read recently in a 1830s German technology encyclopedia that cat fur is useful, felts to itself but with difficulty. :)

14336279867_5aed39a551_o.jpg

Katzenhaar = Cat Fur / Hair

Leipzig Wild Fur Market (from Deutsche Hutmacher-Zeitung Dec. 1913) list Cats (Katzen) fur (assorted, Cyprus, black, Summer)

14340061800_e9ecffb200_o.jpg

Wool hats have a different feel and look (personally I prefer Fur Felt) but if they are made properly they can be very durable. The hat I posted is a testament to the fact. I would say half of my old German and Austrian stiff felts are Wool and have held up fine. This old (early 1900s) Negretti Wool stiff felt is exceptional regarding finish (nice as any of my Fur Felts only issue is lint collection) and very light weight (110 grams).

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/58-negretti/#entry321

According to Victor Böhm (owner Brüder Böhm) 75% of the hats made in Europe in 1925 were made of Wool (see last paragraph).

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/7-bruder-bohm-hutfabrik/#entry384

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Joao: Yes. it is off-center. But for me, it give it a unique look...Like most early fedora's I've seen, the early one's ribbon bows (and other 'dressings' were in the back of lid. Was it a mistake? [huh] Dunno. But it does 'rock!" :eusa_clap

Maybe I didn't express myself in the right way. Let me use your photo:
NJ-VS-ribbon.jpg

I was talking about the geometry of the "green" lines and the misalignment on the different ribbons (marked in red).
Was that made on purpose or it's the camera angle?

John Galt

Vendor
Yes, another Stagecoach. But this one is somehow special because John Galt changed the hatband for me. I think his work is very good and looks like it came out of a hat factory.
For now my only Stagecoach with telescope crown. I'll call it John Galt Stagecoach.

Thanks Joao! I've been buried getting ready for a trial (I haven't forgotten you fellows), but have also made a big step toward Pro status (more details later), so this really means a lot to me!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
1930s Dobbs

Here's another curiosity that arrived today, a late-1930s Dobbs.
It's actually a very rich, dark brown, but my flash washes it out. This seems to be the crease it's lived most of its life with, as this is what it defaults to. The front top is tightly creased. Very pleasing dimensions, with a 5 ¾" crown and a 2 ⅜" brim. The felt is quite thin and light, but firm.
DobbsOmelia1.jpg DobbsOmelia2.jpg

This outdoors shot shows the color the best.
DobbsOmelia8.jpg

Many thanks to Joshbru3 for the heads-up on this one!

More here in the Dobbs Diner.

Brad

Last edited:

Purplesage

One Too Many
White Borsalino Alessandria

I already had a white Borsalino Alessandria that I previously posted but this one is actually a little brighter. The two hardest colors to photograph in my opinion are white and black.

photo2-661_zps8255b4b2.jpg

photo2-630_zps73f32a8f.jpg

photo5-671_zpsef7fc6d2.jpg

photo3-633_zpsd4115c3e.jpg

photo5-711_zpscf3cf336.jpg

photo2-662_zpscfc25899.jpg

photo5-714_zps07c2e445.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Here's a link to Tom Gomez's site...really interesting stuff...

http://gomezhatcompany.com/western-hat-conversion-gallery.html

Nice purchase on the Dobbs Brad. I like that hat.

Nice job on all of Tom Gomez' western conversions. There are some real transformations there. He's a talented guy. The particular treatments don't match my personal style, but they all look well executed, as far as I can tell from the photos. He's known for making good Panamas, yes? I've seen video. I'm going back to look at that part of the website...

I like the Panamas. I would wear a nice vented Cuenca with a proper shirt and a little swagger, knowing I'm looking sharp. The doblé hats are pretty fly too (do we still say that?).

I particularly like this unique trimming. Makes me wanna catch a Marlin or something:

he4yregu.jpg

No copyright claimed - I'll delete it if asked, but why ask? It's a great look. I'm inspired & challenged by the artful mood this evokes... I might buy one just to own it. Wonder if he'd sign one for me?

Last edited:

Purplesage

One Too Many
Landman the white Borso does look very similar to the one Rossetti is wearing in that particular episode of Boardwalk Empire. He wore a variety of hats as you know including the one below:

tumblr_mdcwyg9NXr1rk688bo1_500_zpsed468d4f.png

Tom-n-Perris

Vendor
Nice job on all of Tom Gomes' western conversions. There are some real transformations there. He's a talented guy. The particular treatments don't match my personal style, but they all look well executed, as far as I can tell from the photos. He's known for making good Panamas, yes? I've seen video. I'm going back to look at that part of the website...

I like the Panamas. I would wear a nice vented Cuenca with a proper shirt and a little swagger, knowing I'm looking sharp. The doblé hats are pretty fly too (do we still say that?).

I particularly like this unique trimming. Makes me wanna catch a Marlin or something:

he4yregu.jpg

No copyright claimed - I'll delete it if asked, but why ask? It's a great look. I'm inspired & challenged by the artful mood this evokes... I might buy one just to own it. Wonder if he'd sign one for me?

Thank you Kingrat for your kind words about my ribbon work. Thank you T. Jones for interest in my hat work and for also including a link to my website. Also thank you to John Galt for your kind words about my western conversions that you viewed on my web site. I am also glad that you liked the ribbon treatment that I have done on the picture you posted on FL from my website. I don't mind your sharing a photograph of my work since I am a member of the FL and have been for quite of number of years! I would be more than happy to take an order for a Panama hat from you and if you would like me to sign the hat I would do so indeed! One last item it is "Gomez" with a "Z" not an S just for future references!

John Galt

Vendor
Sorry about that, I'm Portuguese by descent & sometimes inadvertently make that error. I've corrected it.

I meant every word though & will PM you about a Panama!

Do we still say fly?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner