Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Looking forward to pictures of this hat of yours, Dobb. "Genuine" Amish felt hats can be had online for about that price, and straws for a whole lot less (happen to have one myself). I didn't realize that Stetson made a version. As to that "high round crown" ... Hmmm, I always thought of Amish hats as being flat-topped, or telescope, which is essentially a flat-top profile.

That's great, Tony... thanks for posting. Many similarities to the hat I posted and also a Florida quality, whatever that might mean. Is the sweatband also 2 1/4" wide?

Probably so. I put the thing back in a box again, up with all the other ones that never get worn. (Working on my legacy, you understand, such as it is.)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I found some pretty poor pictures of the model on the web. Looks like the "Amish" has a flat crown (maybe a block #60), while the "Amish II" is rounder, but still quite flat. To my eye it could look like a block #52. Both are quite straight. I know, Stetson run their own block designations, but those were the profiles, the pics made me think of :)

Dobb

Familiar Face
Looking forward to pictures of this hat of yours, Dobb. "Genuine" Amish felt hats can be had online for about that price, and straws for a whole lot less (happen to have one myself). I didn't realize that Stetson made a version. As to that "high round crown" ... Hmmm, I always thought of Amish hats as being flat-topped, or telescope, which is essentially a flat-top profile.

I just found the hat while checking out Stetson hats online. I would say the hat is a mix of Amish and cowboy styles . Stetson actually describes it as a cowboy hat , and calls it the Amish II . I think it is a nice mix. I really like it. The hat is also available with wider brim sizes and a flat top version. Mine has a 51/2 crown and 3 inch brim. Heck , I already have the beard so I will be good to go.

Dobb

Familiar Face
How about this. I was told the first hat Stetson made for the West was called "The Boss of the Plains" and that hat was shaped and sold exactly like the Amish! I think I'll do a little research of my own on the history of Stetson .

Last edited:
i just got this coming in the mail, i always wanted a rain/camping hat- akubra

$_57.JPG

$_57-1.JPG

coble

A-List Customer
How about this. I was told the first hat Stetson made for the West was called "The Boss of the Plains" and that hat was shaped and sold exactly like the Amish! I think I'll do a little research of my own on the history of Stetson .

yes the hat was called the boss of the plains. In the book that i have about the history of stetson. Supposedly one night while with a bunch of horsemen he dug a hole in the dirt, and shaped the crown of the hat in the hole and from their the boss of the plains was made. He wanted a hat that would keep the sun off of those out in the elements.
Now i could be wrong but this is what i've read. Most people think that old west hats were large brimmed hats. They weren't, they were actually top hats, homburgs, and derbys, until the boss of the plains.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I picked up another hat with little to no wear other than two spots and a moth nip or tiny tear where it was creased. A Borsalino made in Italy! Any idea as to the time frame/ how to date them? I got the box at an antique store just for the hat.

Thanks,

Mike IMG_0573.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Finally this one arrived. I was not expecting for it to be a long hair nor that it had so many moth bites.
It's a Thoroughbred Ten X Quality. I never had one and it have a very thick felt! Don't know if it's the way they are made nor I never had seen one in long hair fur.
I removed that hatband as I don't like it. It was very dusty and in the end it looks to have different hues in the crown. It looks to have a more reddish look and more grey were that hatband was (you can see it on the 9th picture).
It have that dreaded oilskin protection.

thorou01.jpg

thorou02.jpg

thorou03.jpg

thorou04.jpg

thorou05.jpg

thorou06.jpg

thorou07.jpg

thorou08.jpg

thorou09.jpg

thorou10.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Justin. Don't know if I can wash it to see if it looses the reddish and became more grey.
How old can it be? Can only find one thread on TFL but it doesn't say much...

ingineer

One Too Many
Beaver Brand 5X Dark Steel
Possibly mid 70's
Most likely made by the Langenberg Hat Company in New Haven MO
Guessing the same maker as your Thoroughbred
Joao, please note they changed the size tags to include the metric size around that time.
I am also guessing late 60's for yours, since it has the oilskin.
Love that kitten finish on it , what a shame.
Pics of mine:

Richard

Finally this one arrived...It's a Thoroughbred Ten X Quality...I removed that hatband as I don't like it...
I agree with the removal of the feathered (?) hatband. It gave the hat a cheesy/trendy/sell-it-to-the-tourists look, and now it looks like a working man's hat--far more dignified. And I think the color and style suit you very well! It's a shame about the moth bites, but that only adds to the character of the hat. :thumb:

DOGMAN

One Too Many
I have 3 of the 10x Thoroughbreds.One is a long hair rust colored hat,Pic in conversion corral page 128.All 3 have thick felt.
Finally this one arrived. I was not expecting for it to be a long hair nor that it had so many moth bites.
It's a Thoroughbred Ten X Quality. I never had one and it have a very thick felt! Don't know if it's the way they are made nor I never had seen one in long hair fur.
I removed that hatband as I don't like it. It was very dusty and in the end it looks to have different hues in the crown. It looks to have a more reddish look and more grey were that hatband was (you can see it on the 9th picture).
It have that dreaded oilskin protection.

thorou01.jpg

thorou02.jpg

thorou03.jpg

thorou04.jpg

thorou05.jpg

thorou06.jpg

thorou07.jpg

thorou08.jpg

thorou09.jpg

thorou10.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Possibly mid 70's
Most likely made by the Langenberg Hat Company in New Haven MO
Guessing the same maker as your Thoroughbred
Joao, please note they changed the size tags to include the metric size around that time.
I am also guessing late 60's for yours, since it has the oilskin.
Love that kitten finish on it , what a shame.
You BB looks nice. Nice color.
Thank you both in guessing. I can't find much info on the thoroughbred hat Company. Is it dead or was bough by another company?

I agree with the removal of the feathered (?) hatband. It gave the hat a cheesy/trendy/sell-it-to-the-tourists look, and now it looks like a working man's hat--far more dignified. And I think the color and style suit you very well! It's a shame about the moth bites, but that only adds to the character of the hat. :thumb:
It looks feathers but it's not! But I don't like the yellow on this grey.

I have 3 of the 10x Thoroughbreds.One is a long hair rust colored hat,Pic in conversion corral page 128.All 3 have thick felt.
I have different posts/page than you so I can't find it.
Any info on them? Are those made of what fur?

Dobb

Familiar Face
Well , my new Stetson Amish just arrived . The hat fits just right at 73/4 ! That is strange. All my Stetson hats are 71/2 and they fit just right. I expected this hat to be loose . The one thing that shocked me was the sweat band is not leather. A first for me. All my stetsons have leather sweat bands . I really like the hat , and I'll wear it with the cloth band , but I may have a leather replacement put in. It feels ok , I actually like the softness of it , but I sweat easy in the hot weather . As far as the buffalo felt , although I've read a lot of negative feedback about it , I think it is just fine.

humanshoes

One Too Many
A new hat for a good friend, fresh off the block from my fledging hat making enterprise. This one is rabbit fur in alabaster with a vintage southern pecan petersham ribbon. Chuck's Fedora 003.jpg Chuck's Fedora 004.jpg Chuck's Fedora 009.jpg Chuck's Fedora 005.jpg Chuck's Fedora 006.jpg Chuck's Fedora 007.jpg

...It looks feathers but it's not! But I don't like the yellow on this grey...
Horsehair, perhaps? It's not a bad band, it's just not right for that hat.

A new hat for a good friend, fresh off the block from my fledging hat making enterprise. This one is rabbit fur in alabaster with a vintage southern pecan petersham ribbon.
A wonderful color combination. Very elegant!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24