Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlw

One of the Regulars
I just received the hat pictures below. It was on sale at Panama Bob's.

Now for the newbie question: it wasn't obvious in the picture on their page that the brim was upturned in front. I do not like this at all and would not have ordered it had I known this.

Can the brim be easy steamed and reshaped?

The hat was only $30, so I'm not going to spend the money to ship it back on a return, but I'm not going to wear it as is.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430863357.198843.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430863398.767499.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I just received the hat pictures below. It was on sale at Panama Bob's.

Now for the newbie question: it wasn't obvious in the picture on their page that the brim was upturned in front. I do not like this at all and would not have ordered it had I known this.

Can the brim be easy steamed and reshaped?

The hat was only $30, so I'm not going to spend the money to ship it back on a return, but I'm not going to wear it as is.

View attachment 28934 View attachment 28935

it's most likely a snap brim

just snap the front down and shape it as you wish

brims are transitioned to snap either up or down so that they hold their shape

You sure can fix that jlw!

First, MAKE SURE YOUR HANDS ARE CLEAN.

Get a spray bottle of water to moisten just the brim in front. Put the brim how you want it, and hold until dry, or use a hair dryer to speed things up. It might take a couple of attempts, but you CAN do this. Good luck, and have fun.

jlw

One of the Regulars

I've tried snapping it down. It just pops right back up even when wearing it.

jlw

One of the Regulars
You sure can fix that jlw!

First, MAKE SURE YOUR HANDS ARE CLEAN.

Get a spray bottle of water to moisten just the brim in front. Put the brim how you want it, and hold until dry, or use a hair dryer to speed things up. It might take a couple of attempts, but you CAN do this. Good luck, and have fun.

Thanks. I'll try this.

Justdog

Practically Family
It's been a while since I've been able to post in this thread, but I'm now a proud owner of a Lock & Co. Voyager. I think this is going to be my favourite "go to" hat, and the best thing is that it was a birthday present from my wife, despite the usual "there are too many hats lying around" comments :eek:

Excellent love the pinch the raw edge and the color. Sweet hat looks great on you.

Ghost Rider

One of the Regulars
Many thanks as usual for the kind words on my latest hat everyone!

Excellent love the pinch the raw edge and the color. Sweet hat looks great on you.

Oh that makes me feel really proud ;) It's a real rollup travel hat and as such does not have a crease - just a very soft open crown. After being rolled up, you just need to crease and pinch it into whatever shape you want. The centre dent and front pinch was just the way it turned out with the first try.

Justdog

Practically Family
Many thanks as usual for the kind words on my latest hat everyone!

Oh that makes me feel really proud ;) It's a real rollup travel hat and as such does not have a crease - just a very soft open crown. After being rolled up, you just need to crease and pinch it into whatever shape you want. The centre dent and front pinch was just the way it turned out with the first try.

Did not realize it was a roll up. Looks like a blocked fedora.

Echter Borsalino, size Point 6 1/2, near Mint condition, date stamped 17.5.29 (May 17, 1929). The felt is very soft / light weight with a unique box bow design for this style hat and also has a wind cord. It has an fantastic over welt curled brim and the non-reed sweatband is very finely stitched to the hat. I was able to take a photo of the paper label which has a hand written Point size and the words "Bismuto" (Bismuth) and "Sanboca" (?). This a the same model / seller as the previous Point 5 1/2 size Max Eckard Echter Borsalino.

17409765912_c7a4fb25b1_b.jpg

17411401811_ce429a9bb5_b.jpg

17411442371_6662a89ff0_b.jpg

17385953136_c72653df9a_b.jpg

16789490004_c4b64f72e7_b.jpg

16791803503_c77d87b6b0_b.jpg

17410123302_c8b5674df5_b.jpg

17203713027_817844bccd_b.jpg

17385152456_9e261dba7b_b.jpg

17203598607_4464922aac_b.jpg

Last edited:

ScaryWoody

New in Town

I just ordered and received the same hat. I just used a bit of steam to form the brim down. I was actually impressed by the quality of the hat for $30, well $45 with shipping.

+1. Yours get better and better Steve. There were some pretty big heads around in those days!

Chris

What is interesting is this one is marked 6 1/2 Point but probably about 58.5 cm not 60cm. The previous one is marked 5 1/2 and is about 58cm.

Tommy, It can be tough to navigate which has been the case with this seller but definitely worth it.

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Cervo Bantam

Here there are the last Cervo Bantam NOS I received.
They are ready to be photographed in this overcast morning.
The garden is wet because last night the first storm of the year passed with thunder and lightning.
They arrived a little bit unshaped. Some steam and patience make them new.
1j2oh.jpg

In the next days they will be show one by one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24