Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the info, Stefan. You ARE the man!
I have a hard time believing THIS hat, though soft, light and supple, could be shoved in one of those little containers!
And then be reconstituted to its original condition with some “water steam”?
These Borsa makers must be magical wizards if that’s so!!
I won’t be trying it. THAT’S certain.
The Borsalinos "buried" in a balsa-wood coffin were hats produced especially for tourists who visited the Italian cities of art, especially Rome and Florence, as you can see from the shops from which they come. A normal hat would have taken up space by plane or ship, therefore Borsalino had put artisan technology into making hats that took up little space. They were the souvenir of Italy. It is clear that the hat had to have special requirements to "sleep" in the coffin and then be ready for use with little work and a puff of steam. For Borsalino in the golden years, let's say from after the Second War until the end of the seventies, the question of selling hats of great value was a constant, on the other hand Giuseppe Borsalino had imposed this standard since the beginning of the activity. This is, in summary, the story of the "folding" hats that have crossed the oceans. Your "lobbia" is quite young, let's say it is about fifty years old more or less and to tell you that it was buried in a coffin I should have had it in my hands, even if some elements such as the lack of the lining and, I think, one light and very elastic sweatband make it think. However Randall is all about felt (produced in Italy in the heyday of hats) and "primary" shape (tracks) given by the hatter. For all those who have hats that come from Naples: a good part of them arrived in the United States because they were bought by the military and staff of the large air base near the Neapolitan city.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
The Borsalinos "buried" in a balsa-wood coffin were hats produced especially for tourists who visited the Italian cities of art, especially Rome and Florence, as you can see from the shops from which they come. A normal hat would have taken up space by plane or ship, therefore Borsalino had put artisan technology into making hats that took up little space. They were the souvenir of Italy. It is clear that the hat had to have special requirements to "sleep" in the coffin and then be ready for use with little work and a puff of steam. For Borsalino in the golden years, let's say from after the Second War until the end of the seventies, the question of selling hats of great value was a constant, on the other hand Giuseppe Borsalino had imposed this standard since the beginning of the activity. This is, in summary, the story of the "folding" hats that have crossed the oceans. Your "lobbia" is quite young, let's say it is about fifty years old more or less and to tell you that it was buried in a coffin I should have had it in my hands, even if some elements such as the lack of the lining and, I think, one light and very elastic sweatband make it think. However Randall is all about felt (produced in Italy in the heyday of hats) and "primary" shape (tracks) given by the hatter. For all those who have hats that come from Naples: a good part of them arrived in the United States because they were bought by the military and staff of the large air base near the Neapolitan city.

Thank you, Daniele, for the intriguing information. Steve sent me a pm containing an article on the history of homburgs that was also interesting.
Still, I maintain the weak opinion that this particular light, though well structured hat wouldn’t survive being buried in a coffin, but what do I know about Borsalinos and ceeepy caskets?
The hat now comfortably fits on my bean with nary a problem. I’m a happy camper!
IMG_0266.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Daniele, for the intriguing information. Steve sent me a pm containing an article on the history of homburgs that was also interesting.
Still, I maintain the weak opinion that this particular light, though well structured hat wouldn’t survive being buried in a coffin, but what do I know about Borsalinos and ceeepy caskets?
The hat now comfortably fits on my bean with nary a problem. I’m a happy camper! View attachment 203739

Great job, Randal. Great hat, too. Hard to believe that anyone would roll any Borsalino into a little "coffin" box. Seemed to have worked though. That's the wonder of Borsalinos I guess.
bce2072bf42525dd1da5cc94b59f717b.jpg

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Great job, Randal. Great hat, too. Hard to believe that anyone would roll any Borsalino into a little "coffin" box. Seemed to have worked though. That's the wonder of Borsalinos I guess.
bce2072bf42525dd1da5cc94b59f717b.jpg

Yuck! How can you sleep at night with that...thing in your house?
Does a dead hat “sleep” in there right now?
[emoji15]

Michael A

I'll Lock Up

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Yuck! How can you sleep at night with that...thing in your house?
Does a dead hat “sleep” in there right now?
[emoji15]

[emoji23]
Randall, believe me, one day, you'll want one for your collection.
P.S. No hats died in the taking of the photo [emoji6]

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I did.
IMG_9664 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
The wrinkles are being a little stubborn after it's long nap in the box.
IMG_9748 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
This note was in the box with it.
IMG_9720 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Might make me think it was never worn.
And I have the opposite problem from Randall, it's a bit too big, and also with the unreeded sweat.

Michael
Super find, Michael. I missed your post on that one. These holidays keep getting in the way of my FL time [emoji4].
It's one thing to find a Borsalino box, another to find one with a hat in it. Congrats.
Did you by any chance take a photo of the hat in it?
I can't quite decipher the note and message on the box. Can you make them out?

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I was wrong, it didn't sell, and this is it's second time through. It's a Punti 5, so maybe it would fit you?

It's listed under Women's hats, so that's why it didn't go. IF it had been 5 1/2, I would have bought it. PRobably should have, anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Borsalino-women-hat-Oleggini-Italy-gray-green-Original-box-/333455581088?nma=true&si=a%2FT0nxPsiEX5h%2FGNd6ktJ8TcLdM%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Hmmm, I think a 5 would work. I didn't see a size in the photos? Seems like a good price. Thanks.

Super find, Michael. I missed your post on that one. These holidays keep getting in the way of my FL time [emoji4].
It's one thing to find a Borsalino box, another to find one with a hat in it. Congrats.
Did you by any chance take a photo of the hat in it?
I can't quite decipher the note and message on the box. Can you make them out?

IMG_9667 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Note:
Dear Ray - This is the way we bought it - and believe it or not - "it" turns into a hat. Purchased in Florence Italy
Love, Bess and Frank.

Thanks,
Michael

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm, I think a 5 would work. I didn't see a size in the photos? Seems like a good price. Thanks.

Note:
Dear Ray - This is the way we bought it - and believe it or not - "it" turns into a hat. Purchased in Florence Italy
Love, Bess and Frank.

Thanks,
Michael
Thanks, Michael. Sweet note. Can't help concurring with Bess and Frank. Who would ever have thought that piece of cloth would turn into a hat, let alone a Borsalino. Great find [emoji145]

Note:
Love, Bess and Frank.

Thanks,
Michael

I had some contact with the seller, and she apparently found a tag.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Nice hat with a unique bit of it's own history, Randall. It does look good.

The hat now comfortably fits on my bean with nary a problem. I’m a happy camper! View attachment 203739

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I have a Willoughby Tuxedo hat that came in a coffin with a little Transylvania earth. I thought I saw a bat fly out of it but it could've been a moth.
eed2a65db3661a3a5d1bf02fc820ad2c.jpg
426aa7ebbeddd3e8fae067c194c30c2b.jpg
460cf7d1a517e07f574e66203c90901c.jpg
a6b6c2fe17d639e66ab1526ebb2a43c7.jpg
adaf1dfa2416bb3a8d63f67f0e1d31b2.jpg
2fbe8af01da376b9d41b923929f47893.jpg

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
I remember that one, Max. Another great find of yours.
I can see how a thin felt tuxedo fedora could be folded into a coffin box. How a stiff felt Homburg could be is a mystery to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner