Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Borsalino in 7 ¼. More in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread.

View attachment 472772 View attachment 472773 View attachment 472774
Fantastic!

Biltmore (when they were still in Canada) Royal in the color steel. I’m not sure how to make sense out of Biltmore’s brim width labeling, but it’s a 2 ¼” brim with an underwelt edge. The size is 8 ¼ US or 66cm! Biggest hat I’ve found yet. I have the same hat in the smaller sizes of 8 (64cm) and 8 ⅛ (65cm)! These need homes so send me a PM if you’re interested.

View attachment 472788 View attachment 472789 View attachment 472790 View attachment 472791 View attachment 472792 View attachment 472793 View attachment 472794 View attachment 472795 View attachment 472796
Size 66???o_O Are we sure it's intended for a human?!

A hat from the same batch as yesterday's blue Barbisio bought for its elegance
View attachment 473001
It is a hat made for Foresto, a hat shop in Turin that has always had valuable pieces, as I can see from the ones I have collected over the years. Size is 58 cm. or 7 1/4 US
View attachment 473002
The hatter is Tesi - Firenze, known above all for straw and panama hats of which it is a major producer
View attachment 473003
Every now and then I come across some felt hats and they are often of excellent quality
View attachment 473004
This for example, a true mid-season hat, unlined and with a fabric sweatband
View attachment 473006
The felt is light and has a wonderful color and a foulard like ribbon. Perfect for the Italian spring.
The measures of this beauty: the brims, finished with an invisible seam on the edge are 6.5 cm, the foulard is 4 cm and the crown fully open is 14 cm.
View attachment 473007
It is a fairly recent and high-end hat.
Super colour and shape, Daniele. Very nice.
A new Oreo in town—for a visit.
A mint 50s Two Tone with the tan and brown woolen felt sandwiched together in the brim. Guessing this was done during the felting process.
Unfortunately, it’s a size 7 1/8. Grrrr!
Really wish this one was my size, but still a cool hat to have in any collection.
I haven’t done anything to this fedora as it arrived clean with a perfect shape. The crown has zero taper, on every side.
Anyone interested in a hat swap, of same condition, equal appeal and close to its monetary value let me know.
Now the brim is a bit narrow, at 2 1/4” , but its rare and desirable qualities make up for it, imho.
I like wider brims, too, but would wear this hat—allot—if it fit.
7 1/8 measurements: 7 7/8” X 6 1/4

View attachment 473026 View attachment 473027

Such a cool hat. These are rare beasts. Wonderful.

From another messy and poorly described lot comes this Cervo
View attachment 473212 It has the color and finish of a Tyrolean hat with the braided cord and a shape not exactly in the tradition
View attachment 473213
Putting it back in order I noticed that the felt band at the base of the crown has a very slight darker color, as if it had been protected by a ribbon higher than the cord and the brims have a double stitching that adorns them very difficult to find in that type of hats. Anew shape give more caracter to the Cervo :)
View attachment 473214
Only the rotten green color of the felt can remind us of Tyrolean hats
View attachment 473215
It otherwise looks like a hat that has been stripped and redressed for a new use.
Cervo size 59 cm, unlined with fabric sweatband and a magnificent felt to the touch, certainly the best of the lot
View attachment 473216
No paper label gives us information on color and type
View attachment 473217
The lot is part of a series of Cappellificio Cervo productions that ended up on the market quickly at the farewell days of its life
Careful with that one or you might start yodeling soon :D

StoryPNW

Practically Family
My new Gannon was delivered this morning, I will get better pictures later. Its beaver dress weight in granite with a 5 1/2" open crown and a 2 3/4" pencil curled brim. Very nice!
20221217_091150.jpg
20221217_091056.jpg
20221217_091222.jpg

Have to make a bit of a headstart for tomorrow (which is my usual posting day). Quite a few hats came in so I'll work ahead a bit.

Cervo Bantam in a dark grey to black heather felt called "nuit". Size 56 with the overwelt brim at 4,5cm and the crown at 10cm. This had so much potential to be a nice hat, but Cervo just missed the mark here in my opinion. The hat has shrunk so it doesn't fit me and the overall dimensions and shape of the hat give the impression of it being a tiny hat no matter what. Makes it look like a party hat to me; I just can't pull this one off. Pity really, but you can't win them all.

cervo bantam nuit_01.jpg
cervo bantam nuit_02.jpg
cervo bantam nuit_03.jpg
cervo bantam nuit_04.jpg
cervo bantam nuit_05.jpg
cervo bantam nuit_06.jpg
cervo bantam nuit_07.jpg
cervo bantam nuit_08.jpg
cervo bantam nuit_09.jpg
cervo bantam nuit_10.jpg

This one turned out not to be a winner either, but that's more because of its size. Sold as a size 56 it turned out to be a size 59. So too large for me.
Slater spiral stitch fedora in grey heather felt. Size 59 with the overwelt brim at 5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Nice lightweight hat at 81 grams. English brand name and sold by an Italian retailer. Couldn't find anything useful on Slater as a manufacturer.

slater_01.jpg
slater_02.jpg
slater_03.jpg
slater_04.jpg
slater_06.jpg
slater_07.jpg
slater_08.jpg
slater_09.jpg
slater_10.jpg
slater_11.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Have to make a bit of a headstart for tomorrow (which is my usual posting day). Quite a few hats came in so I'll work ahead a bit.

Cervo Bantam in a dark grey to black heather felt called "nuit". Size 56 with the overwelt brim at 4,5cm and the crown at 10cm. This had so much potential to be a nice hat, but Cervo just missed the mark here in my opinion. The hat has shrunk so it doesn't fit me and the overall dimensions and shape of the hat give the impression of it being a tiny hat no matter what. Makes it look like a party hat to me; I just can't pull this one off. Pity really, but you can't win them all.

View attachment 473516 View attachment 473517 View attachment 473518 View attachment 473519 View attachment 473520 View attachment 473521 View attachment 473522 View attachment 473523 View attachment 473524 View attachment 473525
Shame about that one, Stefan. It looks a real cool hat.

Borsalino Centurion in grey (or is it green; forgot to ask my wife :D) called "bruck", which is the first time we've seen that colour. For Borsalino that is an odd name, so I wonder if they outsourced this "centurion" line. Size 57 with the bound brim at 5,5cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Nice enough hat, but it won't be staying and that's why it's photographed against a different background.

borsalino centurion_01.jpg
borsalino centurion_02.jpg
borsalino centurion_03.jpg
borsalino centurion_04.jpg
borsalino centurion_05.jpg
borsalino centurion_08.jpg
borsalino centurion_09.jpg
borsalino centurion_10.jpg
borsalino centurion_12.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
This one turned out not to be a winner either, but that's more because of its size. Sold as a size 56 it turned out to be a size 59. So too large for me.
Slater spiral stitch fedora in grey heather felt. Size 59 with the overwelt brim at 5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Nice lightweight hat at 81 grams. English brand name and sold by an Italian retailer. Couldn't find anything useful on Slater as a manufacturer.

View attachment 473548 View attachment 473549 View attachment 473550 View attachment 473551 View attachment 473552 View attachment 473553 View attachment 473554 View attachment 473555 View attachment 473556 View attachment 473557
That's pretty cool too, Stefan. I'm always drawn to spiral stitching.

I doubt it's an English manufacturer. Never heard of Slater or seen one before. The "English style - trade mark" rings alarm bells.

Still a nice looking hat though.

That's pretty cool too, Stefan. I'm always drawn to spiral stitching.

I doubt it's an English manufacturer. Never heard of Slater or seen one before. The "English style - trade mark" rings alarm bells.

Still a nice looking hat though.
Thank you, Steve. Never heard of Slater before even though there seems to be an English hatter of that name (couldn't get on the sit for some reason though). I share your doubts, and those of Daniele, that this one is actually English made. What puzzles me though is the English label, even if there is only one word in English on there.

Alright, one more of the "I expected better" hats before we get to the "that is really good" hats tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Tirard in brown. Size 57 with the bound brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent, Unlined and lightweight and with vents on either side. So what could possibly be better? Well, it has been attacked by moths, but that's not a big deal if the rest of the hat made up for it. But this hat doesn't seem to make up it's mind about what it want's to be. It can be shaped brim up, but that doesn't work entirely. Wearing it brim down doesn't work all that well either because the flange is quite pronounced so the brim almost blocks your view. Then the thin ribbon doesn't work with the shape either I think. Tirard can do much much better than this one. The execution is good, but the design just doesn't work. Or am I too harsh?

tirard vent_01.jpg
tirard vent_02.jpg
tirard vent_03.jpg
tirard vent_04.jpg
tirard vent_05.jpg
tirard vent_06.jpg
tirard vent_07.jpg
tirard vent_08.jpg
tirard vent_09.jpg
tirard vent_10.jpg

We'll pick up where we left off yesterday. Onwards to the winners.
Borsalino Landasca 40 1/2 homburg in Dattero colour. Size 56 with the bound brim at 6cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Dattero is such a great colour that I had to buy this one. It is very soft, which is unexpected for a homburg, and has a lovely hand to the felt.

borsalino landasca dattero_01.jpg
borsalino landasca dattero_02.jpg
borsalino landasca dattero_03.jpg
borsalino landasca dattero_04.jpg
borsalino landasca dattero_05.jpg
borsalino landasca dattero_06.jpg
borsalino landasca dattero_07.jpg
borsalino landasca dattero_08.jpg
borsalino landasca dattero_09.jpg
borsalino landasca dattero_10.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads