Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
ValEag said:
Very nice find Gene!

Did you happen to see any 7 1/2s while you were there?:D

Nope, sorry. I do keep eyes open for finds which may interest the gang here but it is really, really rare for decent vintage hats to surface in this area. All the more reason I'm so happy to have found these.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
billysmom said:
boater3.jpg

billysmom said:

All wonderful hats on you, Sue, but to me these two really steal the show! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
I can't compete with Gene, but here's my latest arrival. The good news is that it really is a Mode Edge, has a fantastic sweatband, has incredibly soft 3x felt, and it fits me perfectly. The bad news is it needs major work.

It's a very nice bluish-grey. This is the best I could prep it for 'before' pics, but looking forward to showing a rejuvenated version tomorrow:

StetsonMEFrontBef.jpg

"Just an exhibition, not a competition - please no wagering." - David Letterman

----------------

That sure is an interesting one. What's up with that kink in the brim at the back!? Let me know if I can help -- I promise I wouldn't trim off a Mode Edge. :D

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Cross posted (Milan Mania), my Dobbs 'Steve Harvey' Milan.. sorry for the bad picture-quality.. It's a fine hat.

milan.jpg

:eek:fftopic: I'd like to replace the ribbon for a nice pug, but the only company, Shushan's, I know of ship them overseas at a ridiculous shipping-cost turning a 7 dollar pug into a 39 dollar pug...:eek: I can buy a used hat for that amount... Any alternatives anyone

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
djgo-cat-go said:
Cross posted (Milan Mania), my Dobbs 'Steve Harvey' Milan.. sorry for the bad picture-quality.. It's a fine hat.

milan.jpg

:eek:fftopic: I'd like to replace the ribbon for a nice pug, but the only company, Shushan's, I know of ship them overseas at a ridiculous shipping-cost turning a 7 dollar pug into a 39 dollar pug...:eek: I can buy a used hat for that amount... Any alternatives anyone

Here are some you might take a look at:

http://www.millerhats.com/accesories_index/index.htm

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
"Just an exhibition, not a competition - please no wagering." - David Letterman

----------------

That sure is an interesting one. What's up with that kink in the brim at the back!? Let me know if I can help -- I promise I wouldn't trim off a Mode Edge. :D

lol - the wagering would all be against me in this case, I'm sure!

Yes, Gene, you can help - It has a bunch of moth bites that need filling and I plan on digging up your instructions.

That kink was just from the hat resting against the back of a chair while I tried to hold the brim down for the picture. The fella who owned this hat died in 1951, and it has a LOT of wear, so it's an old one.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
I can't compete with Gene, but here's my latest arrival. The good news is that it really is a Mode Edge, has a fantastic sweatband, has incredibly soft 3x felt, and it fits me perfectly. The bad news is it needs major work.

It's a very nice bluish-grey. This is the best I could prep it for 'before' pics, but looking forward to showing a rejuvenated version tomorrow:

StetsonMEFrontBef.jpg

Here it is after woolite bath, scrubbed and dry. Wonderful hat, but the ribbon is too stained - 2nd pic shows after bashing and wiping down ribbon with lanolin baby wipes.

StetsME2pics.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
Here it is after woolite bath, scrubbed and dry. Wonderful hat, but the ribbon is too stained - 2nd pic shows after bashing and wiping down ribbon with lanolin baby wipes.

Looks good so far, SF.

I really need a wood form so I can run with big dogs like you :D.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
Looks good so far, SF.

I really need a wood form so I can run with big dogs like you :D.

Thanks CRH. I don't have many non-hat items - just the adjustable form, which is great for brushing hats, a block that I use quite often, a brim mold which is also useful at times, and a nice vintage hat stretcher. All these things look cool just lying around the house, so you can't go wrong.

I wore the hat all day and have never had a hat that feels better. People were staring at it, but I think it was because of all the moth holes :)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Green Daitoku

Here's a 7 3/8 Green Daitoku I picked up in an antique store today. It has a taped sweatband and I believe a real silk liner with plastic cover. Also says 'tokiohats' on sweat. Great quality, but I can't find much information on the company. Any info would be appreciated.

DaitokuSideUnbl.jpg

DaitokuSide.jpg

Daitokuliner.jpg

DaitokuLabel.jpg

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Nice find! I don`t know too much of the company, but will try and find out some more. If I remember, there was a modern hat I had seen with Tokyo hats written on the inside - will do some research if possible.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
daizawaguy said:
Nice find! I don`t know too much of the company, but will try and find out some more. If I remember, there was a modern hat I had seen with Tokyo hats written on the inside - will do some research if possible.

Thanks! I am sort of stumped as to age. I'm guessing '50s, ignoring the taped sweatband as an anomaly.

Scott <=== thrilled at chance for double-entry into "Green Machine" club in one week.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Here's a 7 3/8 Green Daitoku I picked up in an antique store today. It has a taped sweatband and I believe a real silk liner with plastic cover. Also says 'tokiohats' on sweat. Great quality, but I can't find much information on the company. Any info would be appreciated.

DaitokuSideUnbl.jpg

DaitokuSide.jpg

Daitokuliner.jpg

DaitokuLabel.jpg

FanTAStic looking hat, Scott! I like the way you operate, pal. :eusa_clap

Nicolas jones

New in Town
My self made fedoras

Hello,

This is my first post here.

Here are my fedoras, what do you think of these?
All of them have a leather sweatband.

You may notice that those are inspired by Indiana Jones' Fed.

As you can see, this is my Indy Fed (with a todd's ribbon).
3437373415_d9e17eb904.jpg
3437918071_9673d1d29e.jpg

My moonstone hat
3438182226_1b25a6617b.jpg
3438176780_2bedab012c.jpg

The red/brown hat
3438180796_b8fff619b5.jpg
3437370779_3fd255656f.jpg

I have to fishish this carbon grey fed
(brush the felt, finish the bow and bashing)
3438183282_9be241dcdf.jpg
3438181298_52ce4f9f58.jpg

And my Panama (have to finish it).
3611312844_a5da864de8.jpg

To finish, my block made of plaster and protected by resin.
2436845902_681e9a0d03.jpg

I think I am going to make a new hat, a furfelt fed with a straw colour and a red/brown ribbon

Regards,

Nicolas

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge, Nicholas. Those hats look very professional to my eye. Great proportions, and I, personally, prefer raw edge brims if they are sanded to relieve the bluntness from trimming.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Wow, Nicolas - this is truly amazing! Those hats look great, really. And they make me ponder the idea of buying some millinery tools, not for the first time.

Looking forward to see more of your work.

BTW: Welcome to the Lounge! I'm pretty sure you'll feel right at home here. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80