Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
4116309954_be6669388e_b.jpg

Very unique. I like it! :eusa_clap

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Aureliano said:
These pictures are from the auction. I won this Borsalino and it arrived today. It is nearly mint. I will post pictures of it soon after I clean it and shape it. In the mean time: besides airing the hat, is there any other thing to do to get rid of the smell of moth balls and "old closet"?

A light steaming should help.

GWD

One Too Many
My Holy Grail has been obtained!

Sage Green Whippet.

Thanks to Zetwal (Eric) I have finally, after over a year of looking, obtained a Green Whippet! This hat has got some age to it too! First off the Bow is different than the other Whippets I have and the sweat is un-reeded. The liner doesn't say Whippet on it but the sweat does. I sent this off to Graham at Optimo for a cleaning, I wanted him to ship it back to me open crowned, he called me and told me that at some point this hat had been stiffened and he didn't think I could handle creasing it myself. I took his advice but I didn't like the way he creased it and I re-creased myself (it wasn't too difficult). :D

I love the look of this hat! Thanks again Eric!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Jimmy (JTL) What's your guess on the age?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
Sage Green Whippet.

Thanks to Zetwal (Eric) I have finally, after over a year of looking, obtained a Green Whippet! This hat has got some age to it too! First off the Bow is different than the other Whippets I have and the sweat is un-reeded. The liner doesn't say Whippet on it but the sweat does. I sent this off to Graham at Optimo for a cleaning, I wanted him to ship it back to me open crowned, he called me and told me that at some point this hat had been stiffened and he didn't think I could handle creasing it myself. I took his advice but I didn't like the way he creased it and I re-creased myself (it wasn't too difficult). :D

I love the look of this hat! Thanks again Eric!

?

Great hat! very unusual (for me) that it doesn't say whippet on the liner. BTW Thanks to Eric I also found my perfect whippet!:eusa_clap

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
web.jpg

Jimmy (JTL) What's your guess on the age?

Congrats on nabbing your Grail lid, Gary! :) :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Nice looking specimen, at that. Is that a copper-colored ribbon? Looks great against the green felt.

The unreeded sweat, combined with the presence of "Whippet" on the sweat (as opposed to the liner), along with that particular ribbon style, suggest early to mid-40's to me. By the late forties, "Whippet" appeared on the liner, and the sweats were reeded. Also, the ribbon style had changed to the more familiar style that prevailed through the fifties.

Enjoy your Whippet! (I'm sure you will...;))

Cheers,
JtL

GWD

One Too Many
Thanks JTL! But I just looked a little closer at the sweat, it is reeded but the reed is cloth not the familiar black plastic. And yes the ribbon is Copper, very cool!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
GWD said:
Thanks JTL! But I just looked a little closer at the sweat, it is reeded but the reed is cloth not the familiar black plastic.

Yup -- we're talking about the same thing. That particular sweat treatment is consistent with early/mid 40's. :)

Cheers,
JtL

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Aureliano said:
These pictures are from the auction. I won this Borsalino and it arrived today. It is nearly mint. I will post pictures of it soon after I clean it and shape it. In the mean time: besides airing the hat, is there any other thing to do to get rid of the smell of moth balls and "old closet"?

BemevymkKGrHqUH-EUErgzZ7NkhBK94T51O.jpg

BemeUBmkKGrHqMH-DMEreKy2P1DBK94ZLPg.jpg

New pictures and details in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread. Check it out!

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I've seen more than one Knox, but this is my first Charles Knox.

Hats060.jpg

Two tone bow. Tasteful, if tiny, pin.

Hats061.jpg

Liner.

Hats062.jpg

The paper tag looks HATCO, but from the price, I'd guess a few years ago.

Hats064.jpg

I kind of like it.

Hats055.jpg

Hornby said:
Found this in a local vintage shop for a mere £7!

Black with olive green.

01-1-1.jpg
02-1-1.jpg
03-1-1.jpg

Amazing condition and my new favourite. About to leave the house with it on my head...

H..*

Nice find. They were out of the same town (Lindenberg) as Mayser.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GWD said:
Sage Green Whippet.
web.jpg

Very nice, Gary. I wonder if you might be able to post some additional more detailed pictures of the bow on that one. I have a gray Whippet with what I think is a similar treatment. I thought the ribbon may have been replaced at some point in a sloppy fashion, but I may have an older lid than I realized.

The tails at the back of my bow seem to be turned under and tacked.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J.T.Marcus said:
I've seen more than one Knox, but this is my first Charles Knox.

Hats060.jpg

Two tone bow. Tasteful, if tiny, pin.

The paper tag looks HATCO, but from the price, I'd guess a few years ago.

I kind of like it.

I like it too, JT. Especially the wide brim and bow treatment. Very sharp!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112