Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
billyspew said:
Purchased my summer headwear this week...

4411319473_6d59a54729_m.jpg

Rarely have I enjoyed a photo here as much as that one. That pith helmet looks right at home. :eusa_clap

Cheers,
JtL

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
jimmy the lid said:
As well you should! That is a fantastic looking lid! I love the ribbon/binding color against the felt. Beautiful. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

And, a johnnyphi hat means it's from decades ago straight to your noggin'! ;)

Congrats.

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks Jimmy! The significance of wearing this awesome piece of history is not dead on me. I would love to see style, dignity and self assuredness return to society. I can only be an example in this regard and no amount of words will change a damn thing it seems.

Thanks again and Cheers,

RJ:)

Chinaski

One Too Many
Redwood, I have your hat's twin, albeit in 7 1/4, and I am in total agreement with your assessment. No one seems to know anything about the Royalist brand, but I daresay it's the best felt I own - it's the only one I leave open crowned, as it will take any crease I want with ease. While I don't have a huge collection, I have a couple lids of excellent pedigree and the Royalist is right there with 'em. Enjoy that lid, it looks great on ya.:eusa_clap

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
It wasn't a bad idea. It's possible that ribbons were used originally to cover the stitching area where the sweatband was sewn to the felt, or an area where two separate pieces of the hat were joined.
Lefty's chiding (in another thread) aside, if you look under the ribbons of
your hats you will see stitching and occasionally marks. But I grant that
this was not the main function of the ribbon and that there are some
unbalanced individuals (mainly confined to Arkansas as I understand it)
for whom less is more in the area of ribbons.

And before anyone starts sayin' I'm pickin' on anyone, don't forget I
own more narrow ribbon Cavanaghs than you do.

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
Chinaski said:
Redwood, I have your hat's twin, albeit in 7 1/4, and I am in total agreement with your assessment. No one seems to know anything about the Royalist brand, but I daresay it's the best felt I own - it's the only one I leave open crowned, as it will take any crease I want with ease. While I don't have a huge collection, I have a couple lids of excellent pedigree and the Royalist is right there with 'em. Enjoy that lid, it looks great on ya.:eusa_clap

Wow! Thanks loads, Chinaski! I still can't find a thing on the Royalist Brand. My only guess is that it is a spin off brand of another, more notable company. I'm just not sure which one.

RJ:)

Tooch

One of the Regulars
Sorry I didn't measure the dimensions but here are some particulars. I know nothing of this company other than it is top notch quality. I've never heard of Royalist until Johnnyphi.

I have the twin of that hat in 7 1/8. It's just a beauty, despite a few nibbles on the edge binding. It's wearing a diamond crease right now.

I've found nothing about the company either. I rather enjoy the mystery.

Mr. Paladin

billyspew said:
:arated:

That Royalist looks great on you, and jimmy can't wait for the head shot.

A little sunburn and a Martini-Henry rifle, and you could be home on leave from Rourke's Rift! :rolleyes:

carldelo

One Too Many
billyspew said:
:arated:

That Royalist looks great on you, and jimmy can't wait for the head shot.

Yep, that lid is just Peachy, sort of reminds of someone, now who could it be, oh yes, here he is, Sir Michael, well done:

9591-large.jpg

Cracker

One of the Regulars
Cracker said:
My first hat purchase (other than my old cowboy hat bought many years ago). I won this last night on ebay for a very reasonable price. There's no shot of the sweatband, but it's advertised as a Stetson panama fedora, date unknown. The seller says s/he cleaned it and repaired 5 tears. Looks like a great beater to me. I've almost completed my "old man working in the yard" impression.

St.Ignatz said:
Here comes the sun Cracker and while I'm on the subject. Would you give us a shot of the inside while holding it up to the sun so we can get a good look at the weave? Thanks.
Tom D.

Here you go, my Stetson Medalist panama, worn while grilling burgers today. The seller replaced the sweat, but sent the original with the hat. I don't much like that pug hatband, so I got a black grosgrain today at Miller's.

IMG_8543.jpg
IMG_8545.jpg

IMG_8550.jpg
IMG_8552.jpg

IMG_8560.jpg
IMG_8563.jpg

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Cracker said:
Here you go, my Stetson Medalist panama, worn while grilling burgers today. The seller replaced the sweat, but sent the original with the hat. I don't much like that pug hatband, so I got a black grosgrain today at Miller's.
Thanks for the photos. My Sis just returned to Tx City yesterday and it sure sounds like panama weather to me today. Very nice indeed sir.
Tom D.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
New VS Goodfellow

My first work of Art :)
Lousy weather today so the pic is just a quick shot to get posted.
100_0378.jpg

I went out to do chores, went to the store and waited for the post to be sorted, brought it home and opened everything else, made fresh coffee, scrubbed hands and stared at it for 5 mins lol
When I opened it I just popped it on my head and out the door for the photo so excuse the scruffy-me and more pics to come in the days to follow :D

rippy444

Familiar Face
New hats

I can't post pictures yet. here is what I have so far. I have about 30 hats and haven't rated them all yet. I just purchased a Stetson 10X straw cow boy hat for $ 25.00

I bought a Royal Delux Stetson Fedora for $ 18.00

I also bought a vintage Stetson round front fedora. It is in great shape. Paid $ 16.00.

Got a Dobbs calipso vintage hat for $ 38.00.

Maybe my hat size helps. I wear a 6 7/8. Got any hats to sell ? If that is legal. I don't want to break the rules.rippy 444
I'm not bragging, just getting my feet wet. New(66) year old kid on the block.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Scott Wood said:
100_0378.jpg

I went out to do chores, went to the store and waited for the post to be sorted, brought it home and opened everything else, made fresh coffee, scrubbed hands and stared at it for 5 mins lol
When I opened it I just popped it on my head and out the door for the photo so excuse the scruffy-me and more pics to come in the days to follow :D

The look on your face is priceless.. Congratulations, that's a beaut!:eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

Scott Wood said:
100_0378.jpg

Beautiful VS, Scott. The dark felt and lighter ribbon is great and I love the brim width! Congratulations! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn