Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Potentially Dumb Question

Pilgrim

One Too Many
...but it's the quesion you don't ask which has the potential to be dumbest.

I have a cheap Panama which is too floppy. The brim won't hold its shape well at all. I know it could use some stiffener to give it more body, but I only have felt stiffener around...nothing labeled for straw.

So -

Does anyone have an idea whether spray starch would work? I may be crazier than a loon to even think of it, but I'm wondering.

Spray starch, I DO have around. lol

Pilgrim

One Too Many
So, what the heck. I sprayed it about four times with hat stiffener last night. This AM it feels better, and there's no discoloration or any other visual problems. Also, the front part of the brim snaps down a bit more crisply and looks better than before. I'll see how it wears! Could be the first time it gets humid that it will revert to its previous floppiness.

jec

One of the Regulars
Try hair spray

When I asked a similar question to Panama Bob earlier this summer, he recommended that I try a water-soluble hair spray to stiffen the brim on one of his Panama hats that I had just gotten.

I never tried it, but that's what he suggested.

Robert? You there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21