Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Enemies hat in exhibition?

Jabos

A-List Customer
There is an exhibition at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art called "Sketch to Screen: the Art of Hollywood Costume Design". Here is a link:

http://www.okcmoa.com//sketchtoscreen

Check out the photo gallery. I pulled this photo of Depp's costume in Public Enemies in the exhibition. I don't yet know if it is all real or if there is some imitation clothing mixed with the authentic. If that hat is real I'd certainly like to get some photos in person of the hat. There appears to be no glass. My wife knows someone who works there and is going to ask her if she knows whether the hat is "the hat" from the movie. Other interesting hats too it appears. The "Jabos family" will of course go to the exhibit and report back.
4601027805_3644b7f160.jpg

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Hereward said:
Johnny Depp gave away the hat http://www.list.co.uk/article/9295-johnny-depps-hat-gift/.

Incidentally, I always call him Johnny the Depp when talking to my wife. She's Austrian born and depp in their dialect means something like doofus in American English. No doubt they found it hilarious when they first heard of him.

The hat in the article is described at "Tan and Grey" so I think it was one of Depp's own hats. Also, the way movies work, they probably made several hats so the exhibit could be one of them. Look at how many Steve Delk had to make for the last Indy movie.

Jabos

A-List Customer
My wife knows someone who works at the museum and has asked her about that hat, as well as the rules on photographing the exhibit. I will let you all know.

Also, I've been thinking about it and the hat on display is "oxblood" in color. Why would they go to the trouble of getting another oxblood for the display (there aren't that many oxblood hats around)? That makes me think it is the original. Does anyone know if there was more than one oxblood provided by Optimo? Of course, one answer is that for the exhibition they subsequently purchased another oxblood from Optimo. If I were Johnny Depp I would keep that original hat if I could. But, since he is Johnny Doofus who knows? :) I wonder if he lurks on here since he is such a fedora fan.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Jabos said:
Does anyone know if there was more than one oxblood provided by Optimo? Of course, one answer is that for the exhibition they subsequently purchased another oxblood from Optimo. If I were Johnny Depp I would keep that original hat if I could. But, since he is Johnny Doofus who knows? :) I wonder if he lurks on here since he is such a fedora fan.

It would be highly unusual for them to have one hat. What if something happened to it in the middle of filming? Steve Delk had to make a large number for the last Indy movie but they beat them up a lot. I'd say they made at least one spare but more likely several.

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
Well the rest of the costume doesn't look real, that suit isn't right, and the coat looked different and had a white windowpane [huh]

Jabos

A-List Customer
I left a message with the curator in charge of that exhibit and hope to hear back from her tomorrow. No response from my wife's friend either. Agreed that one would think there would have been more than one hat, but I would hope they would all be identical. I guess I am hoping for the chance to see the hat in person and get pics to post here. I will report about which parts of the display are authentic.

Jabos

A-List Customer
Okay, I spoke with Optimo about the Public Enemies hat. They said they sent several, possibly as many as ten, in oxblood to the set for the movie. The girl I spoke with was specific it was ten in oxblood-quite a few I think for just "back up" so perhaps some were used by extras in the crowd too. I was told several had Depp's initials in them. They don't know what happened to all of them but assume Depp took one and said they heard a few walked off the set. So, it is likely the hat at the exhibit is one of the ten, but I assume odds are that it is possibly not one that was on Depp's head in the movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy