Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pugging a hat

Smyat

One of the Regulars
So I thought my new Akubra Sydney would look dressier with a light gray puggaree, and sure enough it does.

However, I have no idea of the correct way to place the pug. What I have is the one David Morgan sells, a 6-pleat in light gray, and it has one "rough" end with a pinhook and then one finished, pointed end with another. Where do I place the point of the pug? On the left side, pointing back? Are there different choices or styles or does it look dorky in any but the "correct" way?

I did the 'Koobie in a nice diamond bash and the pug really dresses it up - I will be wearing it with a charcoal pinstripe when I wear it that way.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Sorry to change your subject, but you got a diamond crease on a Sydney? Maybe I just need to play around some more ... but because of that soft felt mine always rounds out (to a teardrop/c-crown) when I stick hy head into it.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Okay, I looked it up on Wikipedia:

"Puggaree: a cloth wrapped around the crown of a pith helmet or similar headgear, especially as an accoutrement of a military uniform"

but I still can't quite picture it on a Sydney. Do post some pics when you figure it out!

Spellflower

Practically Family
HamletJSD said:
Sorry to change your subject, but you got a diamond crease on a Sydney? Maybe I just need to play around some more ... but because of that soft felt mine always rounds out (to a teardrop/c-crown) when I stick hy head into it.

I've also had trouble with bashing my Sydney/Fedora, since the crown height is so low. I wore it in a teardrop for a while, then really steamed the heck out of it and got kind of a wide center dent, but that was after a lot of failed attempts. You definitely don't have as much to work with as on a Fed.

Smyat

One of the Regulars
Spellflower said:
I've also had trouble with bashing my Sydney/Fedora, since the crown height is so low. I wore it in a teardrop for a while, then really steamed the heck out of it and got kind of a wide center dent, but that was after a lot of failed attempts. You definitely don't have as much to work with as on a Fed.
It's the first hat I've shaped from an open crown, and it did okay with a dry bash, but it didn't hold all that well.

So I fired up the teakettle and steamed in the diamond bash with front pinches, and it's held well. My head does touch the center of the dent, but not badly, and I really have to yank it on to punch out the bash.

Photos of it and the puggaree - which usually goes on panamas, I understand, but isn't rare on felt hats - as soon as I get a minute.

I also don't seem to be able to attach photos, although the forum says I can. Hurm.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Smyat said:
Where do I place the point of the pug? On the left side, pointing back? Are there different choices or styles or does it look dorky in any but the "correct" way?

To get back to your original question: Yes, the point of the pug should be put on the left side, pointing back. Anything else would be very unusual.

Since you are going to wear the hat with a conservative charcoal gray pinstripe, I assume you are aiming for a serious dressed-up for business or on the town look.

Consider wearing the char pinstripe with a solid silver-gray tie. Very Cary Grant.

Smyat

One of the Regulars
Wolfmanjack said:
To get back to your original question: Yes, the point of the pug should be put on the left side, pointing back. Anything else would be very unusual.
Thanks. I suspected as much but appreciate the confirmation. Wouldn't want people to, you know, point and stare.

Of course, they will anyway at a guy in a lid. :)

Consider wearing the char pinstripe with a solid silver-gray tie. Very Cary Grant.
I don't wear ties, which means I wear banded collars for dress. (I know, I know...)

I'm planning to have some shirts made with a two-button overlap collar - you know, a square tab that buttons center and to one side. I believe I saw that on a military tunic once and like the look a lot. Perhaps with studs I can replace to match or highlight the rest of the outfit.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Smyat said:
I'm planning to have some shirts made with a two-button overlap collar - you know, a square tab that buttons center and to one side. I believe I saw that on a military tunic once and like the look a lot. Perhaps with studs I can replace to match or highlight the rest of the outfit.

A long time ago, I had a spread-collar shirt with a closure like that. I loved it. Extremely comfortable and a great neat, 'finished' look. I wore a tie with it, of course. ;)

Fast

Familiar Face
Pugaree

Long ago I had a stetson safari with a short brim, vents, and a pugaree. it overlaps at the center of the bow, or theirs did then. Roughly center (the "point" or center of the overlap itself) of the bow.

Carpe Diem
Fast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart